Sweatshops

Guest Ted Wakowski

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by -Rage-

I'm sorry to say this and I hope others can understand, but I also realized that what I do now really won't make a difference. I've tried for so long and I've gotten shit in return.

I wouldn't dare to judge you (even though you called me "asshead") but it sounds like you gave up on yourself man, or at least a part of yourself. 6 - 7 years is a weekend in the long run.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Ted Wakowski

it sounds like you gave up on yourself man, or at least a part of

yourself. 6 - 7 years is a weekend in the long run.

True, but we'll all discover it someday. I just learned quicker than others.

if you boycott Nike clothing doesn't that hurt their workers even more???Plus there are thousands of companies that use the same sweatshop-like methods to produce their products. Im no way in favor of sweatshops but by trying to avoid every single clothing or item you think might have been invented in a sweatshop is kinda ridiculous and impossible.

Guest --zeSto--

The root of the problem is that North Americans do,

and will continue to believe that a t-shirt is worth 30$.

The average consumer isn't frugal with their clothing,

and companies like Nike (among others) see the fortune to be made.

If people are willing to drop a heap of cash,

then Nike will want to increase their profits by cutting expenses.

If factories were run in the USA like they are in Taiwan...

massive class action lawsuits would pop up every single day.

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by Brownbread?

if you boycott Nike clothing doesn't that hurt their workers even more???

Boycotting (with a message attached and at its most effective level) isn't hurting workers, it's hurting the companies who exploit those workers and attempting to force them into changing policies. The end result is anybody's guess (educated or not) but supporting corporations who take advantage of the economically weak is only helping them get over, especially when an issue can be brushed off society's shoulder as a punchline or a cynical "in joke" without much more than a "nothin' we can do about it" and a fleeting moment of shame.

Plus there are thousands of companies that use the same sweatshop-like methods to produce their products. Im no way in favor of sweatshops but by trying to avoid every single clothing or item you think might have been invented in a sweatshop is kinda ridiculous and impossible.

Not at all. If you're interested in any type of boycotting then there's a lot of people who've already done the homework for you. A couple of the responses on here even have links to websites offering clothes made without sweatshop labor. A little bit of education on the subject can put you on point pretty quickly.

Another good site http://www.nologo.org/

Archived