Sweatshops

Guest Ted Wakowski

Guest Ted Wakowski

Stuff for your daily dose of non-conformity:

"Fifteen Vietnamese women told CBS News and other Vietnamese newspapers that they were hit over the head by their supervisor for poor sewing at Nike's Sam Yang facility; two were later sent to the hospital. At Nike’s Tae Kwan Vina facility, women were forced by their supervisors to kneel down with their hands up in the air for 25 minutes. A supervisor also taped the mouth of several workers for talking during work. Throughout 1996, we found many incidents of corporal punishment at Nike factories reported by Vietnamese newspapers, i.e. forcing workers to stand in the sun (sun-drying), writing down their mistakes over and over again like parochial school children, cleaning the toilet and sweeping factory floors."

"It is a common occurrence to have several workers faint from exhaustion, heat and poor nutrition during their shifts. We were told that several workers even coughed up blood before fainting."

"Workers cannot go to the bathroom more than once per 8-hour shift and they cannot drink water more than twice per shift."

"During January 1997, we found workers who worked over 80 hours of overtime"

^http://www.saigon.com/~nike/reports/report...1.html#liveable wages

Ernst & Young found that toluene, a carcinogen, was in the air at different sites in the factory studied, six to 177 times the amount allowed by Vietnamese regulations, which itself is about four times as strict as American toluene standards. Extended exposure to the carcinogen toluene is known to cause damage to the liver, kidneys and central nervous system.

^http://www.saigon.com/~nike/news/ny110897.htm

9455934-69e9-01EB010D-.jpg

http://www.toolness.com/nike/faq.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

here an interesting page:NIKEWAGES

wow, nike sucks. so here is some anti-sweatshop clothing options:

http://www.customatix.com <--- pay their workers decent living wages, just got a pair of these about a month or so ago. very nice shits, comfy, well built shoes!

and i received this e-mail recently, they haven't started manufacturing yet, so everyone who cares go to the site and order a catalog they they can get the ball rolling!!

"Getting serious about fighting sweatshops must include OFFERING

ALTERNATIVES. To date, "responsible shopping" lists have offered pretty

poor choices, to say the least. Please take a few seconds to look at

our new effort.

http://NoSweatApparel.com

We're trying to gauge the level of support we can expect from the

progressive community for our anti-sweatshop initiative before we

begin

production. What we're doing is pretty simple--providing a

living wage to union producers here and in the developing world, a

competitive product for consumers and a reasonable return for

investors. We

can do all that if we don't have to advertise. That's the big if. Will

the

community spread the word about a for-profit venture? On the plus side,

we

don't compete with the existing non-profits for scarce resources and

attention!

Thanks for your time,

Jeff Ballinger (Director, Press for Change)

(and)

Adam Neiman

Bienestar International

Manufacturers of No Sweat Apparel

Guest Ted Wakowski

Cynicism

"Q: What happens if the world runs out of poverty?

A: Nike is doing everything it can to prolong the existence of this profitable resource. Firstly, any services it runs in any Sweatshop™ community are oriented towards keeping the community at the poverty level. For instance, any schools we establish will only offer a very low level of education, and since we establish and run these schools, the government won't find a need to establish better ones. With these kinds of extremely low-cost "placebo" services that substitute for government institutions, not only will the community be crippled if Nike leaves, but we will also have the ability to shape its agenda towards our ends: the maintenance of poverty and subsistence wages. "

http://www.toolness.com/nike/faq.html

Just go naked.

old news. :rolleyes:

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by -Rage-

old news. :rolleyes:

Whoops, didn't realize this was considered outdated. Out with this one and on to the next anti-corporate rebellious trend ...

In all honesty i dont know why anyone bothers to talk about such subjects. the world is so fuked up. im just waiting for a huge comit or something to wipe out all of us. were stupid savage creatures and dont deserve a place on earth!

sorry but im just gettin real fed up with shit these days, things just dont seem to change, and even when they do something else bad happens

Originally posted by Ted Wakowski

Whoops, didn't realize this was considered outdated. Out with this one and on to the next anti-corporate rebellious trend ...

Nothing will change. So stop thinking you can make it happen. Trust me. I've tried for years.

You're only informing the public of what they already know. Do they care? No. Do they stop consuming? No.

Why? Because it's the way of life. Those people making the clothes WANT thier jobs. THEY chose to work there.

I have never bought anything related to sweatshop labor (i.e. The Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic...the list goes on). I purchase my clothes from Salvation Army's across the nation. I like to see my money going to good. DON'T EVER fuck with me. I donated a car to the Salvation Army.

I hate ignorant people. :heated:

Guest stupid412

how can you shrug that shit off.....

not cool and nike and its companies arent the only ones

peace love and boycotts

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by -Rage-

You're only informing the public of what they already know.

Damn, I can't even post a few links without some kid telling me it's "old news." If you don't care, don't respond.

Plus that's a pretty bold assumption. I'd put money on quite a few kids checking this board with no clue about sweatshops. Maybe a couple of 'em will read this and gain some insight.

Those people making the clothes WANT thier jobs. THEY chose to work there.

What are they gonna do, run down to the mall and land a spot selling acid-washed jeans at American Eagle? Maybe they could invest the $45 a month national minimum wage into a bustling real estate market and take a trip to Vegas.

If you don't care, don't respond.

Don't respond. I was mearly posting my view on this topic. Look asshead, any moron can start a thread. A good one can keep it going.

Maybe a couple of 'em will read this and gain some insight.

True, but that's all you'll be doing. WOW! One more person knows. The next day thier parents and friends go and buy the shit. Cause when he/she tries to preach his case to them, they don't give a shit. Or they know better.

Guest Ted Wakowski
Look asshead, any moron can start a thread. A good one can keep it going.

A good moron?

True, but that's all you'll be doing. WOW! One more person knows. The next day thier parents and friends go and buy the shit. Cause when he/she tries to preach his case to them, they don't give a shit. Or they know better.

Calm down Rush, this is just a forum, not Hands Across America.

Why are you so against me posting some shit about sweatshops?

Why are you so against me posting some shit about sweatshops?

I'm not. It's good you are INFORMING people. I'm simply trying to state that that's all you can accomplish. Like I said before NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

when you steal shit does it really come out of nikes profit? not really. probably the store you stole it from and even then an insurance company. They can also write it off on there taxes. So it really isn't hurting nike or discouraging sweatshops at all. but if it makes you feel better than, hey go for it.

and i think that eventually it will change....slavery lasted for hundreds of years in america and alot of people thought liberation was a lost cause, but eventually it did happen...maybe the only way it will end is if the ocuntry goes into a huge crisis and the huge corporations go bankrupt because noone can afford to buy their shit.... then some othr country will become rich and we'll all being working in the sweatshopes...wouldnt that be beautiful irony?

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by footsoldier

nothin wrong with wearing sweatshop shit, just make sure you steal it...right now im wearing an entire stolen outfit..causing financial loss to the company is TAKING ACTION.

They lose a little from the theft but they gain a little when you advertise their name on your body. Kinda goes both ways. I'm not knockin' ya though.

Guest SPLINTER

Rage- i respect you a lot man but maybe you should read the book Gadhi or at least watch the movie. who would have thought that boycotting british made clothes or clothes made by indians for britain could make such an impact. i mean that alon with protesting and a few other boycotts were a huge help in gettin the countries independace.

all it takes is a strong leader to inform his people and that can start a whole revolution. nobody listen to the news. if the news had just said to black people that mlk,jr wanted them to boycott the bus, would it have impact?? probably not, but he went out and showed leadership and it started a revolution.

im suprised. for a person who listens to revolutionary music groups, you dont seem like a revolutionary.

but im probably wrong about you. nonetheless i respect you because you show to be one of the intelligent people on this board.

Originally posted by SPLINTER

im suprised. for a person who listens to revolutionary music groups, you dont seem like a revolutionary.

but im probably wrong about you. nonetheless i respect you because you show to be one of the intelligent people on this board.

Thanks man. I DO respect everyone elses opinions on this board too and I love to gain others insight.

To answer your statement about being a revolutionary...I was. I was for about 6 or 7 years until I relaized something more. Throughout time, people have always been slaves, not just a specific minority group whether it be blacks, whites, asians, or even the poor and starving. We all work for someone else, whether it's for money or not. Now, I do not justify the mistreating of these people, but not every place is like that.

I'm sorry to say this and I hope others can understand, but I also realized that what I do now really won't make a difference. I've tried for so long and I've gotten shit in return. Through the infinite span of time our lives are a mear speck of dust that God (or whomever) will simply vacuum up and throw away.

Archived