"DRUM CIRCLES"

DEE38

Okay so the plan for my weekend was to kick it with my homegirl and paint her back yard, because she just got a place, and she asked me what's up with showing her how to paint with spray paint (not nessesarily graffiti)... and she is a really dope artist from what i've seen in her assignments at school, so I was really excited to see what she could produce using spraypaint, (plus I haven't touched a can ever since I have moved here) so we made plans to buff and paint her back yard walls yesterday. Blah.

Sunday she calls me at noon and i ask her whats up with painting her backyard, because I don't want her forgetting that it's gunna get dark in a couple hours and I don't think she thought about that.. and she's mad bummed because she just got dumped yesterday. (Not in the backyard painting mood anymore.) Okay.

Then she asks me to go with her to a "DRUM CIRCLE." I was like, uh okay, what the fuck is that, but sure.. you need some cheering up, and i am down.

Then she picks me up, and we get there. Holy shit... it's an area where theres trails to climb mountains and rocks, and a place for bbq's and chilling, and what not. It was really beautiful... then a lil further down... we can hear a grip of bongo drums, and people singing in another language........... this is what was called the "drum circle"

At first I was like what the fuck...?!?!??! These dreadlocked white people in redyellowgreen tie die shirts are gunna be wondering what the fuck's a brown girl doing there, but shit.. they were really nice. They were a bunch of people talking about "jah"... playing their drums, singing... and my homegirl (also my bellydancing teacher) does her thing to the music.. and i was like shit, this is awsome... drums are fucking awsome.... what a new experience. They kind of reminded me of cool hippy slash sublime looking people.... then at around 5 they cut out because they were mumbling something about phish being on t.v.

Does anyone else go to things like these?? I had homies back in Hawaii who chilled at their house doing shit like this.... but this was a whole new different type experience thing. We went back to my homegirls pad to get our drink on, and she had a bunch of drums too that she collects, and I had alot of fun rocking out on them too for a bit..... it's like a dope chill type way to kick it.

Who does these type of things? It's really awsome :)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yes, because i live in hippie central i hvae been to drum circles, people usually have them in the mountains, actually in my city its pretty common to stumble upon a bunch of hippies doing these things in parks in the middle of the city.

Anyways, I cant say i really love them, i like the whole Idea around them, but i have trouble staying on beat, i really suck at drums and keeping time. Somthing to try, after you have been drumming for a while to a constant beat, check your pulse, supposedly your pulse will synchronize with the drum beat, everyone elses will too. Just somthing i heard from this crazy native american medicine hippie lady who was leading one of those things.

Guest --zeSto--

I know people that do it.

They smell like Patchulli Oil.

Play a lot of hackey sack.

"Liberate" plants from people's yards.

generally piss me off (only because I have no good reason to be mad at them)

Guest platapie
Originally posted by DEE38

At first I was like what the fuck...?!?!??! These dreadlocked white people in redyellowgreen tie die shirts are gunna be wondering what the fuck's a brown girl doing there

hahahahahahhhha

Guest FreeDaddy
Originally posted by DEE38

then at around 5 they cut out because they were mumbling something about phish being on t.v.

hahahaheehehehhahahaaaa.. ughh that was good.

Guest platapie
Originally posted by --zeSto--

I know people that do it.

They smell like Patchulli Oil.

Play a lot of hackey sack.

"Liberate" plants from people's yards.

generally piss me off (only because I have no good reason to be mad at them)

double the fun hahahahahhahahhaa

boom boom boom boom

" be one with nature, abandon society, feel the vibe"

boom boom boom boom

"feel mother earth in your body, in your soul"

boom boom boom boom

"hey dudes, shit, its like 6:30 bra, we better get inside so we can watch the simpsons dude, like phish is in it dude"

as they drive off into the city you catch the bumper sticker. "KILL YOUR TV"

Guest willy.wonka

drum circles arent just for hippie shit...its one of the most exhilarating experience that one could have.i was honored by being invited to this native american"indian" drum circle,but i have been in a few of them..bangin on a dijimbe blowing through the dijideridoo.i cant really explain it..but i feel more in touch with myself and with others.i also get in touch with Jah.i find myself being spaced out,but on the constant beat, i climb to a higher place.

yeah.

Guest willy.wonka
Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

I've been to native indian drum circles. They're awesome. But I didn't get to smoke the peace pipe.....

when i went..they didnt smoke..they said that the beating on the drums was good enough.everybody was happy.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by willy.wonka

i also get in touch with Jah.i find myself being spaced out,but on the constant beat, i climb to a higher place.

yeah.

sounds like raving.

not so surprising perhaps, the official seeking standoing is: "fuck a drum circle." if your native american, then cool, handle that. if your a white kid who thinks he's down with jah cause he smokes alot of pot... please. take a shower you filthy mongrel.

seeking/anti-love.

Guest willy.wonka

my friends spiritual grandma said that drum and bass sounds like the music people back in the day used to gain energy from the earth.

if ianything..i think people these days dont have a clue and the pour thier energy into something else.ravers are dying spiritually.

Originally posted by willy.wonka

drum circles arent just for hippie shit...its one of the most exhilarating experience that one could have.i was honored by being invited to this native american"indian" drum circle,but i have been in a few of them..bangin on a dijimbe blowing through the dijideridoo.i cant really explain it..but i feel more in touch with myself and with others.i also get in touch with Jah.i find myself being spaced out,but on the constant beat, i climb to a higher place.

yeah.

See, that sounds like some hippy shit to me...

Willy, you fuckin dirty hippy...Brush your teeth ya ras clot!

by the way, i am just playing...

Guest Pilau Hands
then at around 5 they cut out because they were mumbling something about phish being on t.v.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it was good.

Guest whoami

One of my friends whois from pakistan does that shit, he'll smoke a joint and start banging on a drum singing bob marley and i'll just watch, and wait for the pizza to come that we ordered...

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Please believe, á la Noam

Please believe I've thrown down the bboy tip on a good number of drum circles. You should see the faces on the hippies when they see some dude in the middle doing flares to the music.

Drums fucking rock, by the way. Beer,

El Mamerro

drum circles have become wayyyyy too trendy...i think the shits whack..maybe if someone is rocking a sitar then it would be dope..but then,it isn't a drum circle.dee...will you be my girlfriend?

Yeah there was an old native american guy there who asked me to smoke.... but i wasent really down to smoke with people i dont know.. so i was like, nah, thanks... homie.

Wilt, can you cook spaghetti?? Like kick ass spaghetti with garlic bread?

Drumming is a part of everyone's culture ALL over the WORLD. I don't know why everyone all of a sudden relates it to just the American Indians. Maybe it comes from the "nobel savage" stereotype.

I recommend a movie called IN THE LIGHT OF REVERENCE. There's a really funny part where these hippies are drumming and smoking weed in a very sacred spot for the Wintu tribe on Mt Shasta . And continuing to drum despite the requests of the elder Wintu to stop disrespecting the land by leaving their litter everywhere, and to 'at least remain clothed'. It's worth it to see the movie just to watch the arguments of the hippies against the elders.

But drumming can happen anywhere - and it can be really fun to just get loose - and you don't have to fall into certain stereotypes to get into it. Everyone likes to dance!

Guest Pilau Hands

it's probably associated with the native americans cause those are the closest people they can use to validate their cause...of sitting. if that guy sits down with us, we're forreal! drums are good fun.

schuper schweet

i worked as a chef in an italian restaurant for a while..i can cook the bomb spaghetti...plus im one sexy bitch. :D

Archived