JAZZ NIGGA

d-town_bomber

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basically, Jazz grew out of Ragtime... the 'ragtime' beat was the fundamental element of what became Jazz. Ragtime started around the 1880's so, yuo could say Jazz started then too becoming Dixieland, Jazz evolved into it's own thing after 1910, reaching it's first full realization through the 20's and on...

The Blues is also a true american art form and it also shares roots with Ragtime. Basically the modern forms of blues are based on folk songs with a ragtime beat, aka the New Orleans beat

Originally posted by Smart

basically, Jazz grew out of Ragtime... the 'ragtime' beat was the fundamental element of what became Jazz. Ragtime started around the 1880's so, yuo could say Jazz started then too becoming Dixieland, Jazz evolved into it's own thing after 1910, reaching it's first full realization through the 20's and on...

The Blues is also a true american art form and it also shares roots with Ragtime. Basically the modern forms of blues are based on folk songs with a ragtime beat, aka the New Orleans beat

damn smart is smart. thanks

check out some african drumming cds...i guarantee you will find several examples where a ride pattern (ding-ding-a-ling, ding-a-ling) is present... to show just how deep this music is..i love playing this stuff too because ill be doing it until i die or until my body gives up and says its had enough, and there wont be a day where im not pondering about something new i just learned..basically ill never be done learning this language, ever..

i love playin jazz on all instruments. i play guitar, piano and drums. recently playing the drums has been my favorite. im just getting into the piano. what i love about jazz is there is so much room for improvisation and doing your own thing and experimenting. i just cant wait till i get my Fender Rhodes. i wish had more friends with some musical talent so i could jam with em........

Guest Andy Capp

blues also decends from african music. the pentatonic scale is used heavily in blues and it was the basis of some types of african music. some guys just started playing and it was all done by ear. then people started changing it up and started writing it down, and developing it and soloing etc. jazz was a branch off of the blues which was then taken in different ways and developed differently.

Originally posted by Andy Capp

blues also decends from african music. the pentatonic scale is used heavily in blues and it was the basis of some types of african music. some guys just started playing and it was all done by ear. then people started changing it up and started writing it down, and developing it and soloing etc. jazz was a branch off of the blues which was then taken in different ways and developed differently.

andy capp...

Thats some knowledge from a fuckin comic..!

actuaslly, what Andy Capp said isn't really true... while the pentatonic scale can be found in African music, African music is poly-phonic (NOT the right word, poly-chordal...???) by nature... like Indian and Asian music, it uses scale divisions that are smaller or larger than the European halftone/wholetone divisions...

Furthermore, as I said, Blues and Jazz come from the SAME place. Neither exited before the other. Ragtime is the basis of BOTH forms. The 'ragged' beat was the first time (in Euro-centric music) that the emphasis was taken from the 1 and 3 beat and shifted to the 2 and 4 beats. This has been called the Rag beat, N.O. beat, Back beat and Black beat, and is the basis for both Blues and Jazz.

Guest BROWNer

wow. check out that sonik post.

how 'bout you ante up and 'chime in'?

jazz seems to attract a whole lotta

dilettantes.

ya'll should peep flowers by dudley perkins.. very dope.

my fave track of all time, any genre, is by don ellis...

i never got too into big band stuff, and dont like a lot of cool jazz either..... though i give davis his props for innovating.

and blues is more like a cross between african and english folk.. ragtime is more a result of gospel/blues and the big band era....particualrly marching bands at funerals in new orleans. ya'll should peep the scott joplin museum in st. louis... im not a ragtime fan at all though.

madlib does a pretty nice job w/ them ynq joints.

hahaha, it appears that Sonik is just a little too superior to really participate in this one... maybe when we start the Tom Waites thread...

maybe I meant 'poly-tonal-... yeah I like 'poly-tonal' the best... The Africans use poly-tonal scales... that's better... still not sure if it's exactly what I'm trying to say, but it's getting later and the beer is getting shorter...

When are we all gonna get together for the 12oz. jazz recording sesh? Seems like we got a couple guitars, and a pianist/drumer, and Kaes on the bass... plus we got ONE trumpet, so it's like the retarded rhythm section...

Originally posted by Vanity

ragtime is more a result of gospel/blues and the big band era....particualrly marching bands at funerals in new orleans

dude, you're ALL mixed up... the Big Band era wasn't until the 30's thru the 40's... the Ragtime era was the 1880's like I said... marching bands in New Orleans play Dixieland, an offshoot of Rag... but people should still check out the Scott Joplin museum, even if Vanity missed some of the salient points of the tour;)

Yeah I guess I am gonna just be superior here. I've just spent too much time and money finding good music to just break out lists of the best to the general public. I'm definately down to talk music on email with people like Smart, people who know what they're talking about and have knowledge I don't.

I'm no musician.... Smart's heard me sing.

Yooouuuureee innocent.....whennn yooouuu dreeam..."

Originally posted by Sonik3000

I'm no musician.... Smart's heard me sing.

Yooouuuureee innocent.....whennn yooouuu dreeam..."

He's like Frank Sinatra without all that musical genius baggage... Actually, Sonik is just more honest than me, I'm keeping my examples to the best of the well known...

"oh brother....

jazz also seems to attract a

whole lotta elitist twerps. "

um seriously.....i dont even really know what to say....i guess that attitude gets the rolled eyes.....:rolleyes:

kaes whats up with that show?

anyone see the hancock show, with that band the new deal?

heh.. ah well smart.. it's been about 5 years since i made any progress in music history... save seeing who was on what record and looking for em on others.. but that doesnt count.

can i join the band too..i can hit kids off w/ samples and wack cutting.. something liek bucksho lefonque... except apollo is dope.

you got a drummer right here.

vince guaraldi, miles, mingus, grant green(favorite guitarist) wes montgomery, stan getz, turrentine, wynton marsalis, brubeck.

ive also been listening to some ragtime and roots as of late. oh brother got me on this roots kick. scott joplin is a must.

i also dig alot of funk. lonnie smith, mandrill......i dunno alot of shit. especially funny rare shit.

---------if anyone has a decent connection and some tunes they wanna trade hit me up on aol im (prophet182).

Archived