"indie" music heads, need some opinions...

mental invalid

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by im not witty

slint! wow havent heard that name in a while.

that song my captain, or o captain, something like that. that was a great song. ahhhh.

i know what you're talking about....

'good morning, captain'(?)....

good shit.

i'ma get back in here with some top shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

first, all those bands you listed, i dont really like and dont really listen too that much, so i cant really comment on them, so as i have presented myself with this respone, i will further continue on with my suggestion..

of that you buy live at the leeds and listen to that instead.

its much more bang for your buck...

...its time like this i love 12oz...notes have been taken...gracias....downloaded some live archers of loaf pretty cool shit....wait till i get my music ftp site....your all gonna shit...one day one day...

smoking a but and drinking a cup of coffee with a saturday smile...roe

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by mental invalid

always wanted to check some pixies out....

Dude, do yourself a favor and definitely do that!

Don't sleep on Frank Black's solo shit either, word to god...

for starters, most bands out of seattle aren't usually disappointing. that goes for all genres of music. on the soft side, i've been listening to a lot of waxwing as of late.

as for what i've gathered from the previous posts, the following bands shouldn't disappoint many.

the one am radio- did a split with jeromes dream, but is nothing close to screamo. it's one guy, but doesn't play the i-want-to-kill-myself whiny emo that dashboard confessional seems to punpoint so well. it's more of a guitar, a drum machine, and other effects to that nature. it's really soft. good to fall asleep to. listening to more than six or seven songs in a row seem to get a little repetitive; luckily there are only 9 songs on the album, about 1:30 each.

dismemberment plan- i saw a few people post about them. absolutely amazing. soothing, but really solid music. they're great live. when i listen to it i always think of being underwater. don't know why.

q and not u- these guys are pretty much just, dare i say it, rock. the drummer never does anything i'm unimpressed with, and besides braid (see below), i've never seen a band be able to pull off "woo woo"s like them. put your hand on your belt buckle and move your hips. haha.

sunny day real estate- the first band to listen to on the list. if you haven't heard them already, you're in trouble.

death cab for cutie- i also saw someone talking about this band. another band that's good to fall asleep to, but it's not as passive as the one am radio. and it's not as aggressive as dismemberment plan. solid soft 'indie rock' whathaveyou.

bright eyes- a good band. it's one guy, conor, running the show, and just has other people to play the other instruments (guitar excluded). he writes the complete lyrics and music. good music, but i can't listen to the full album without thinking that it's a little over the top. i wouldn't be surprised if conor was addicted to coke and jotted down obscure metaphors in a memo book he keeps in his back pocket whenever he feels inspired.

waxwing- the best band i've listened to in a while. fucking incredible. rocky votolato's (has recently put out solo stuff as well) band. (his brother is in the blood brothers). incredible lyrics, and songs are really original. most of the songs sound different, and the certain 'pulp fiction' influence in a few of them really make the album. every song has a leading up point and then there's one or two lines in that song that you just want to listen to over and over because they just sound so damn good. i listen to this band and shake my head that i couldn't think of it first.

Originally posted by BROWNer

my recommendation: go buy slint's

"spiderland" album......put that in your

car system and its all over but the tears..seriously,

its fucking byebye time.

http://static.epinions.com/images/newworld/3340/144335-resized180.jpg'>

Slint was from my hometown. All of those guys have been in numerous bands that my strongly influenced me. Dave Pajo was the mastermind behind the band, and many other bands (too many to list). He is now doing something with billy corrigan which I haven't gotten the chance to hear yet.

The quarry on the cover of spiderland was taken at a frequent swim spot for alot of friends until recently.

Todd B (guitarist of slint) now owns a cult classic video store (www.wandwvideo.com) in Louisville that I frequently rent from.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by hate_edge

waxwing- the best band i've listened to in a while. fucking incredible. rocky votolato's (has recently put out solo stuff as well) band. (his brother is in the blood brothers). incredible lyrics, and songs are really original. most of the songs sound different, and the certain 'pulp fiction' influence in a few of them really make the album. every song has a leading up point and then there's one or two lines in that song that you just want to listen to over and over because they just sound so damn good. i listen to this band and shake my head that i couldn't think of it first.

i just finished up the layout for their upcoming LP....you won't be disappointed by the music.

santanamedropperoner

Originally posted by hate_edge

sunny day real estate- the first band to listen to on the list. if you haven't heard them already, you're in trouble.

fuck yeah.. dude knows what the deal is. and the deal is sdre fuckin rocks. pick up any cd, they're all amazing. you won't be disappointed.

You just got the names of a bunch of great bands, so I'll try not to list the same ones, but first things first, do yourself a Favor and get Slint album "Spiderland" like everyone has been saying, it's fucking great. You should definitely check out The Good Life, Prevent Falls, the Juno album "A Future Lived in Past Tense" is a must have, the new Favez album, anything by Beulah, this band Failure that a guy I work with was playing in the car is amazing. The album is from '96, but I can't remember the name, it was the best thing I've heard in a long time. Texas is the Reason is one of those classic "emo" bands that gets over looked a lot, and everyone in this thread has been sleeping on Superchunk, they're one of the best bands around. Crooked Fingers is the singer from Archers of Loaf, his stuff is unreal. Strike Anywhere is a great band, but they're a little harder than most of what's getting recomended here. A lot of people like The Get Up Kids, the new Girls Against Boys album is awesome, and there are new albums by Piebald, Rye Coalition, The Casket Lottery and The Most Secret Method that are all worth checking out. If you've never heard At the Drive-In you should check them out. They broke up and now the members are in two new bands, Sparta [is awesome] and The Mars Volta [is disappointing], and there is this band The White Octave that sounds a lot like At the Drive-In, but they're still really good and worth checking out. This is in no way a complete list, but I review CDs for a living, so I tend to forget a lot of the best stuff if it's not from the last six months.

the shins.. hoo boy, good stuff. early beach boys kinda sound. i bought the "flake music" CD, too. it's the shins, pre-shins. hasn't arrived yet, don't know how it is. i'm going to their show tonight!!!

moviola. kinda folksy, good stuff.

the glands.

tortiose (my favorite album is "millions now living will never die")

sea and cake. (my favorite album is "fawn", although the new one "oui" also sounded like it may bump fawn out of the #1 spot, but i'v eonly listened to it once)

^^^i always have to list them both on music threads, regardless of what the thread consists of. they're that good. both are pretty mellow.

modest mouse, of course. looking forward to isaac brock's solo project "Ugly Cassanova". haven't heard it yet.

pinback.

sorry, but i'm not great at describing mucic.. just give this stuff a whirl.

Archived