The average person swallows eight spiders per year

-Rage-

Claim: The average person swallows eight spiders per year.

Origins: Oh, yuk! It's hard enough to avoid those horrible wriggly things while we're awake, and now we have to worry that they're crawling into our mouths while we sleep? Little Miss Muffett was a piker.

Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.

In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet

just be happy it's not this fucker...

http://www.tarantulas.com/images/goliath.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by shameless self promotion

i thought i just dozed off high agian with a cheetoh in my mouth..:eek:

:lol:

Sorry Dazzle. If it helps you any I'll tell you a little story. My pops was chilling in his couch one night and a beetle flew into his ear. The fucker was buzzing around the whole time. I remember hearing my dad scream from upstairs. It's pretty fucked up to hear your 50+ year old father screaming in fear. Anyways my mom drove him to the hospital...I was paranoid all week about insects.

The reason it flew in his ear... My dad was asleep and two reading lights were right above his head. The beetle was attracted to the light and somehow found his ear.

Sweet dreams.

Originally posted by Yabityabo

last year i woke up and I couldn't open my left eye. I didn't know what the deal was so i itched my eye, and i still couldn't really open it. I could tell there was something on it. So i took it off...turns out it was a dead spider. i was grossed out

that's nasty

Man stop creeping me out, i have lots of spiders living in my room, they fucking creep around, i find them in my shoes when i wake up, under clothes on the floor.i creeps me out at night cause i am always thinkning that there is a pretty fucking good chance there is a spiders under my covers....

Originally posted by Yabityabo

last year i woke up and I couldn't open my left eye. I didn't know what the deal was so i itched my eye, and i still couldn't really open it. I could tell there was something on it. So i took it off...turns out it was a dead spider. i was grossed out

i had the same thing happen to me. except it wasn't a spider. or maybe it was....

Guest serpent of the light

a few weeks ago i had an itch in my ear, i just figured my plug was hanging funny or something, and the itch moved to inside my ear so i reached up to scratch it and i smushed a spider right inside my ear, it was sad, i killed a spider. animal rights now, haha

aaaahhhh , there was just a spider on my curtains , and i went to go smush it and it dropped itself onto my pantalones , it was terrifying , i wasnt sure if it was gonna kill me or let me go , but luckily i got free .but for real , it really landed on mi pantalones .

Originally posted by ~KRYLON2~

i fucking hate spiders

those were the exact same fuckin words i was gonna say i swear but i prolly just woulda wrote fuckin..when i get bit by spiders my shit gets BAD.some sorta allergic reaction..

Originally posted by -Rage-

Sorry Dazzle. If it helps you any I'll tell you a little story. My pops was chilling in his couch one night and a beetle flew into his ear. The fucker was buzzing around the whole time. I remember hearing my dad scream from upstairs. It's pretty fucked up to hear your 50+ year old father screaming in fear. Anyways my mom drove him to the hospital...I was paranoid all week about insects.

The reason it flew in his ear... My dad was asleep and two reading lights were right above his head. The beetle was attracted to the light and somehow found his ear.

Sweet dreams.

Fuck dude, why the hell did I read that???

i have a mad amount of spiders in my room but i think they are scared of me cause once in a while i will kill one of them and stick it on the end of a toothpick and stick it in the carpet for all the other spiders to see, belive me i really do this

spiderintimidatoroner

Originally posted by WhenOne

i have a mad amount of spiders in my room but i think they are scared of me cause once in a while i will kill one of them and stick it on the end of a toothpick and stick it in the carpet for all the other spiders to see, belive me i really do this

spiderintimidatoroner

Sounds like you're a headhunter, but with spiders.

Originally posted by WhenOne

spiderintimidatoroner

hehe i bet ya if ya'd see that spider.. or a camel spider.. ya'd run like a little pussy...

i think i would... but then again i'd probably observe it from a safe distance...

Originally posted by -Rage-

this happened to me once, but i didn't go to the hospital. i drowned it with peroxide and got it out with tweezers. it was adventurous.

Archived