Amsterdamned.

Harpo Marx

September 11,2001

Amsterdamage

Amsterdam is notorious…sex, drugs, bicycles, everything’s legal there. I had started up my official round-the world plane ticket in Budapest and now I had a short layover in the Low Country before heading to Africa.

Most people associate Amsterdam with two things: legal weed and legal prostitutes. However, since neither of these things are my cup of tea, I intended to concentrate on my personal vice of choice: Graffiti.

The city is a bomber’s paradise, they sell spraypaint at the flea market, there are almost no cops, writers from all over the world flock there, and there’s tons of hassle-free walls to paint.

I didn’t manage to lose the shitty weather that had followed me across the continent so far, it actually hailed the second day that I was there. On the first day though, there was a bit of sunshine and I stumbled across a little makeshift skatespot in a sunken plaza across from the flea market. It’s an ill spot because there’s a street that runs over it and the only way I could find down to it was by dropping down from the bridge. Someone built some little ramps and a handrail to supplement the natural ledge and stair terrain that was already there. It was fun for a little while, but no one else showed up to stoke the session and I was itching to paint.

I rode the trolley out to a big park on the east side of town where I knew of a gallery of graffiti that decorated the supports of a overhead highway. This is the same spot that has a huge metal halfpipe that was the subject of a circa-1996 Thrasher centerspread featuring Burnquist getting Bob-Gnar on the extension. The area was under construction and the workers had conveniently piled mounds of dirt on the flat-bottom (although, when I went back the next day for pictures, the piles had been removed, but bearing-seeking grit and wheel-stopping pebbles remained.)

I did a nice dragon-style piece (if I do say so myself,) and talked with some local rugrat kids that were eager to learn how to handle a spraycan. There was tons of good pieces there, and I even stumbled across a recently-finished piece by a writer I know from Chicago. It made me realize that it’s seriously a small world, even though it’s gonna take me a year to get around it.

The second day was super cold. I went back out to the wall of fame to get some pictures of my piece and wandered around the red-light district between bouts of hail. It was the coldest weather of the trip so far, it seemed ironic that the next morning I was headed for tropical Africa.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/images/content/c1811.jpg'>

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/images/content/c1812.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by playboy

who did that "kids" piece???????

Looks lke Swa of MH crew..

• 5 months later...
Guest imported_b0b
  • 1 month later...

Harpo.. what writer from chicago did you see with recent shit out there??

when i was out there BENET had the city crushed.. LOBA and SERCH get respect too.. notorious............

16874727.jpg

16874721.jpg BUSH on the Subway

16874708.jpg JERK from Vienna on the Subway

16874719.jpg ATOM from Dortmund @ Flevopark

16874718.jpg AmsterDamaged

Archived