Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Harpo Marx

Amsterdamned.

September 11,2001

Amsterdamage

Amsterdam is notorious…sex, drugs, bicycles, everything’s legal there. I had started up my official round-the world plane ticket in Budapest and now I had a short layover in the Low Country before heading to Africa.

Most people associate Amsterdam with two things: legal weed and legal prostitutes. However, since neither of these things are my cup of tea, I intended to concentrate on my personal vice of choice: Graffiti.

The city is a bomber’s paradise, they sell spraypaint at the flea market, there are almost no cops, writers from all over the world flock there, and there’s tons of hassle-free walls to paint.

I didn’t manage to lose the shitty weather that had followed me across the continent so far, it actually hailed the second day that I was there. On the first day though, there was a bit of sunshine and I stumbled across a little makeshift skatespot in a sunken plaza across from the flea market. It’s an ill spot because there’s a street that runs over it and the only way I could find down to it was by dropping down from the bridge. Someone built some little ramps and a handrail to supplement the natural ledge and stair terrain that was already there. It was fun for a little while, but no one else showed up to stoke the session and I was itching to paint.

I rode the trolley out to a big park on the east side of town where I knew of a gallery of graffiti that decorated the supports of a overhead highway. This is the same spot that has a huge metal halfpipe that was the subject of a circa-1996 Thrasher centerspread featuring Burnquist getting Bob-Gnar on the extension. The area was under construction and the workers had conveniently piled mounds of dirt on the flat-bottom (although, when I went back the next day for pictures, the piles had been removed, but bearing-seeking grit and wheel-stopping pebbles remained.)

I did a nice dragon-style piece (if I do say so myself,) and talked with some local rugrat kids that were eager to learn how to handle a spraycan. There was tons of good pieces there, and I even stumbled across a recently-finished piece by a writer I know from Chicago. It made me realize that it’s seriously a small world, even though it’s gonna take me a year to get around it.

The second day was super cold. I went back out to the wall of fame to get some pictures of my piece and wandered around the red-light district between bouts of hail. It was the coldest weather of the trip so far, it seemed ironic that the next morning I was headed for tropical Africa.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/images/content/c1811.jpg'>

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/images/content/c1812.jpg'>

Guest imported_Europe

Amsterdam rocks..

Guest imported_Europe
Originally posted by playboy

who did that "kids" piece???????

Swa MH KDV

Guest trAmple

thats a dope piece. i gots to get me on a world tour amsterdaMn here i come

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by playboy

who did that "kids" piece???????

Looks lke Swa of MH crew..

Guest imported_b0b
Guest captain dan

prostution eh??????? hhhuuuummmmmmm.........................

:D :D :D

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now