Anti depressants..

Guest imported_sofarok

Originally posted by boogie hands

not true....the reason you see so many people on anti depressants and so few actual results is because depression is such a medical trend.....its like the grown up version of ADD. its an overly diagnosed illness that both the medical community and the public has eaten up. its ridiculous. anti depressants provide chemicals to the brain in order to make up for what the patient lacks....a healthy brain already has those chemicals, you put a perfectly healthy person on these drugs just because they have a little bit of stress in their life and your going to get a moody, chemically unbalanced person. i hate how mental illness has turned into such an everyday, run of the mill problem due to this medical fad. its a serious problem that isnt getting serious attention anymore because, due to over-diagnosis, its as common as the fucking cold......

2 cents from someone whos educated on this topic

my mother is on adderall and she is 54. she claims to have "add". she has been on pills since i can remember and she has never really been the same person besides when shes straight. shes taking addys plus a high blood pressure treatment just so she can take the adderall. after me snorting it for 5 months and it almost killing my mother i think the big adderall corporation is going to pay.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest whoami

I take paxil, one pill...My mom insists or she thinks i'll kill myself and she'll run in her room and cry....Shes dumb.....I used to be depressed a year ago when I realised my life sucks...Then I sold out and bought abercrombie and now I get laid every night....Abercrombie is the new drug...Oh yea.....:o

I'm actually not too surprised that so many people on this board have had experience with anti-depressants or psychostimulants like Ritalin or Adderall. That's about what I would expect, I guess. Depression and bi-polar illness seem to be becoming epidemic. I'm not sure if it's because we have better diagnosis or whether it's just a trendy way to explain away some kid breaking the rules and being a jerk or what.

I think that life in general is a whole lot more stressful now than when I was a teenager. We did crazy shit too, but never to the point that somebody's parents took them to a psychiatrist.

I see a lot of people who come from divorced homes who are depressed. I see a lot of people who go to really big high schools who are depressed. Virtually all the people I know who have been on psych meds have used lots of street drugs too. Society is falling apart or so it seems. I think about it a lot. How the hell did we arrive here?

A whole lot of the people I know who are depressed have fucked-up, depressed parents who don't have a fucking clue as to how to deal with them. They either go completely authoritarian and try to play Nazi Parent, or they just throw up their hands in despair and moan and cry about how it's impossible to control teenagers.

My marriage isn't perfect. What relationship is perfect? But I knew from my own childhood and adolescence that kids need BOTH parents. I resolved that I would not take a walk, no matter how fucked-up things became between my wife and me. I was in for the duration.

All around here I see scores of kids from divorced families. Two of the boys on my block who were being raised by single mothers joined the Marines because I was a Marine. It's kind of sobering, almost scarey. You've got to be damned careful what you say around kids, especially if you're a man. Those boys both acted like they didn't give a shit WHAT I thought. I took them fishing a couple of times, and to shoot .22s once. That's it. I guess if you are hungry for a father figure, any port in a storm.

I thought carefully about what it means to be a man, a father, and a Daddy. We have a million children who suffer from the "My baby's Daddy" syndrome. That's why gangs exist, I think. No Dad at home. Citalopram hydrobromide (Celexa) is an SSRI anti-depressant, like Prozac, Paxil, Luvox and Zoloft, but from a different chemical family. It's new. It's only been around a few years. Along with Depakote to stabilize moods, and Ritalin or Adderall to overcome ADD and ADHD, and Catapres to deal with anger, and Klonopin to deal with anxiety, it's one of the most common psych drugs prescribed to adolescents.

Try to do whatever your doctor asks you to do, but if you're having mood swings, you probably would do a lot better on Depakote. Don't use booze or street drugs if you take psych drugs, either. The best therapy of all is getting your LIFE together. Use a little common sense, and focus on positive things. Once you're taking positive action to improve things, it will look a lot better.

Originally posted by Gouged out 3rd Eye

there is no reason for someone to be depressed. its all shit that you let build in you and bothers you. i let things go. if (not when but if) i start feeling shitty for unknown reasons, i think about funny shit or try to make myself laugh. a good one is taking a deep breath, then smile-this works for some reason.

i put this in another thread a few days ago when someone asked why people get depressed...

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

do you really need a reason? how about this: i have a chemical imbalance or something, resulting in a manic depressive personality... we also would have accepted: gimme a reason... yo.

personally though, i'd rather be deathly depressed than be doped to the gills 24/7... spending all day drooling and having seizures isn't my idea of having a good time...

noTHINGhelps

when youre a kid you dont need any of this shit.! pills cant fix it, and neither can keeping busy, that just prolongs things. my best friend is addicted to valium like a housewife after all the anti-depressants he's been on. he's still depressed. good thing about depression though, it sure does make for good art. the song "thats life" by frank sinatra pretty much sums it up.

that was nice KaBar, I think I enjoyed your reply the most because it hit so close to home. I would say the number one reason I am depressed is because of that overwhelming sensation that everyone around me is sad. that they're trapped in this completely devastating situation. my neighbors, my family. there's just so much ho-hum shit that goes on.. so many people wasting years on tv and making bigger dents in their couches. I've been on celexa for awhile now, over a year, and even still I look at the people around me and feel this way. they say it's not normal to feel as if life has no value, as if there's nothing in the world for you. but I think it's all about how much your body allows your mind to be deceived. one way to feel better is to call it quits and just go along with the general flow towards mediocrity. I don't want that. sure I could go out and work a 9-5 job. I could make myself more attractive to future employers, but I always come back to thinking, "who cares?". the people I respect and want around me certainly don't. if you care about how much money is in my pocket or what my grade point average was, I'm liable to give you the finger. so there's all sorts of resistance built up in my body and soul that has nowhere to go. I don't want to be productive by society's standards, or work on a master's degree. I simply want to live.

as far as the increase in diagnosis, I just think doctors are getting lazy. someone comes in complaining about being sad and grumpy down in the dumpy and they send them away with some seratonin in a bag. it's just easier than sitting down to make an accurate diagnosis.

the more I write about this the more I realize how little I know.

anti-depressants can lead to sexual dysfunction.

yay pharmaceuticals!

yea wut i say is a dont get much more depressed than anyone else but some people think the medication is needed..its bullshit...imo its just like doing illegal shit n a way cuz its trying to stop your depression...every1 is depressed sometimes.people should just except that shit.

nice post kabar. nice to see you visiting the rest of the board.

ive often wondered why depression, anxiety, etc seem so much more prevelant these days. listed below, in no particular order, are my bet's for today.

1.drug use by parents.

i think for anyone to claim that the wide spread use of drugs in the 60's and 70's has nothing to do with the chemical make up of kids now a days is just lying to themselfs. i know how taking acid has changed me, im sure my parents drug use has done the same to them.

2.sensory overload/urban sprawl.

30 years ago, when you got bored, you went for a bike ride or built a fort or went looking for snakes. just about every activity was both mental as well as physical. there used to be a giant wooded/sand dune area behind my elementary school. me and my friends would ride our bikes back there everyday. 4 years ago they turned it into a subdivision. now there is no place to ride bikes. so because of that, kids sit in the house on the computer or playing video games. that cant be healthy.

3.the immediacy of the 21st century.

there was an old SNL skit, where the grumpy old man talked about how when they wanted a baked potato, they wrapped it in tinfoil and put it in the oven for 45 minutes, AND THEY LIKED IT. theres a bit of truth in that. a microwave can cook a baked potato in a minute and a half. if we're hungry we drive to taco bell and have lunch in 5 minutes. we're so used to having everything 'right now' that if we dont, we get frustrated, lose interest, and turn the PS2 back on.

4.overwhelming uncertainty of the future.

40 years ago, you knew there would be a job for you. you could go to work in an auto plant, or as a mechanic, or in construction. there were fewer job fields, more jobs, and less people. you could come out of highschool, and have the same job for the rest of your life if you wanted. now a days, they say the average person will go through 10 complete career changes during their life. how the fuck can you prepare for that?

5.distrust and disrespect of authority and government.

whn the people who are supposed to serve and protct you, appear as nothing but liars and bastards, what kind of faith does that give you in society? anyone that trusts our government is a fool. we're all begining to realize that to get ahead in life, means to be a backstabbing, lying, asshole, with a good helping of nepitism on top. everything is distributed through networking and connections. but if your not 'in' the network, how do you become part of it? by being exactly like them. but if you were exactly like them, youd already be in it. its a catch 22 and i dont know about the rest of you, but it makes me say fuck it all.

6. broken homes

this is a givin. when half of the marraiges today end in divorce, when you turn on any urban radio station and all you hear about is 'i dont care that you cheatin, cause im gettin mine on the side too', 'come on girl, who cares about your man, lemme hit it'. no one trusts anyone, and no one believes anyone is honest. ever. thats fucked and it creates an incredible sense of issolation. think about it, how many people do you know, that arent related to you, that you think you could trust with your life in any circumstance? that would die by your side if need be?

and we wonder why we want a crew of people we feel bonded to.

sorry that was all long. im long winded sometimes.

Originally posted by ese

do you walk into cancer support groups and tell people that there is no reason for them to have cancer?

i should start. cancer is one thing, depression and all that other chemical imbalance shit youre talking about is bullshit. how the fuck do you prove chemical imbalance? a doctor tells you that shit cuz you already think youre going crazy so you can buy drugs like thats really going to help. its like a placebo-you take these drugs and you start feeling better all on your own thinking the drugs are working. serious, laugh it off or kick it with your crazy hommies-youll start feeling ok.

no offense, but your a moron. if drugs are just placebos that do nothing, why is it then that in tests, the drugs are 6 times more effective?

not every one who is depressed suffers from depression, but not everyone who suffers from depression can just laugh it off. i agree that dr's often mis diagnose it, but no more than they misdiagnose gull stones, bladder infections or strept throat. you're lucky, obviously you've never felt like this, if you did, you would understand what were talking about.

seeking, im not saying drugs for everything is fake. i know antibiotics and such work but in cases such as depression, i feel drugs dont do anything. depression is a mental thing so it takes something mental to overcome. like im saying, you "think" (keyword) the drugs are working so you feel better. oh and seeking, im not lucky ive never felt like shit; i dont allow myself to feel that way. there have been times where ive said to myself , " gouged, what are you gonna do with yourself? youre starting to crumble." then im like whatever and watch TV and dont ever think about it again. i dont let things bother me which is what was initially saying in the begining.

you have NO FUCKING CLUE about what people who suffer from depression go through. The people who can just kick it and watch TV and forget about it ARENT DEPRESSED.

I don't think meds are the way for everyone, but this isn't some nonissue that you can just "happy thought" away, its a real medical condition. Its like having cancer, or lukemia, or any other disease. If you don't have it, or don't live with somone who does, its hard to understand what it really is, and overdiagnosis doesn't help improve understanding of depression, but to just give a glib response like that shows you don't know about it at all...

ese, since i have NO FUCKING CLUE and im just talking stupid shit, i looked up depression. ive looked in the number of medical science books that are on the book case behind me in my house and found out that depression is a psychological thing (that ive been pretty much saying). cancer is a physical thing. you cant say depression is like cancer. maybe theyre both medical but cancer is an abnormal growth of cells and depression is a mental feeling of hopelessness. you can get over that without medication. you just need to always think in the positive, fuck the negative shit. to get rid of a tumor, you need to remove all of the tumor and follow with radiation or another treatment and hope thats the end of it.

"Genes and Environment

Study after study suggests biochemical and genetic links to depression. A considerable amount of evidence supports the view that depressed people have imbalances in the brain's neurotransmitters, the chemicals that allow communication between nerve cells. Serotonin and norepinephrine are two neurotransmitters whose low levels are thought to play an especially important role. The fact that women have naturally lower serotonin levels than men may contribute to women's greater tendency to depression.

Family histories show a recurrence of depression from generation to generation. Studies of identical twins confirm that depression and genes are related, finding that if one twin of an identical pair suffers from depression, the other has a 70 percent chance of developing the disease. For fraternal twins or siblings, the rate is just 25 percent.

Environmental factors, however, may also play a role in depression. When combined with a biochemical or genetic predisposition, life stressors (such as relationship problems, financial difficulties, death of a loved one, or medical illness) may cause the disease to manifest itself.

"

quoted from a page on webmd.com

alot of depression has to be worked out through therapy, but don't deny that its an actual physical ailment. Its a problem with your brain that causes depression for many people. Its not like a phobia you can get over, its persistant. I know that I can see it in my thoughts "thats the depression talking, thats not true" but it doesn't help the thoughts stop. Its much more complex...

Where to Start?

I don't deny things are pretty fucked up, but if you can just pull through your teens things start to improve. It's sort of like that teenagers are trapped half way between childhood and adulthood. They really can't just kick it like they did when they were kids, but on the other hand, insurance for a piece of shit car costs $600 every six months! We have painted ourselves into a corner with this god damned PC bullshit. When I was a kid, you could buy a beater for $50, work on it a little and have a ride for little or nothing. I bought my first car, a 1961 Volkswagen Kombi microbus with rear doors on both sides for $300. Before that I had a German Miele motorcycle when I was 15, then a powerhouse Zundapp 750cc road bike, then a Honda 305cc Superhawk. Man, that Honda kicked ass back then. It left the Zundapp like it was anchored to something. I never had papers on any of the bikes but the Honda, and I drove the Vee-Dub for a year with somebody else's name on it. I didn't have a cent of insurance. Nobody gave a shit back then, not even the cops. I'd never do that now, no way.

Even though things seem pointless and fucked up, a lot of it revolves around you and how much you're willing to invest of yourself in what you're doing. If you think it's important, then it is important. I hated school. I barely graduated from high school. Honest to God, the year I graduated (1969) I had a GPA of 1.84. Man, that is pathetic. I didn't want to go to college like all my friends. It was a mistake, I should have gone. They had a blast. I would have had a blast, too. But I thought it was important that I take a stand against the war in Vietnam, so I resisted. In retrospect, it was dangerous, and stupid. I would have been better off enlisting in the Navy, or even the Marine Corps. All of my older friends and surf buddies enlisted and got to pick their school and MOS. One of my friends picked torpedo repair school! He figured that would be about as far from the Viet Cong as a guy could get, and he was right. He spent six years on Guam, recovering and repairing practice torpedoes, and playing hot shit heavy metal rock 'n' roll in a bar at night. Then he came back to Texas and opened a guitar shop, which is still one of the most well-known guitar shops in Texas. He did it on a shoestring--all he had was his Navy pay and what he had saved from playing bars on Guam.

We weren't anything but just regular teenagers from a working-class neighborhood. My parents were divorced, so were his. His brother was gay. Later on, the brother died of AIDS. His Dad was a salesman, and his mom was a secretary for an oil company. My Dad was a commercial artist, my mom was a secretary, then a computer operator for an oil tool company. Everybody I knew, just about, had divorced parents. I thought life just sucked a big one.

As I grew up, though, I went out on my own, and started realizing that it didn't really matter what I did, as long as I was doing something worthwhile to ME. I learned how to work on cars. I did two years alternative service as a hospital orderly. I went to welding school, and became a shipyard welder. I drove a beer truck. I was an organizer and a radical. I called myself a revolutionary anarchist. (It makes me smile now--everybody has to grow up sometime.) I lived in communes and collectives. I surfed the Texas Gulf Coast, and the West Coast, and Mexico. I didn't care much about doing anything important, like going to college or becoming a professional.

Through it all, I smoked dope and drank like a fish. I used to budget money for partying on the weekend. I sure wish I had invested it instead. One day, I just decided that smoking dope was stupid and dangerous. So I quit. That was that. When I was in the Marines, I was having a hard time keeping up with the company on runs. It was the cigarettes. So I quit. I lost interest in anarchism, so I stopped going to "church." I dropped out of the organizations that I belonged to. It never occurred to me that I was depressed. I just figured life sucked. One day I was riding my Harley in Walla Walla and I rode by a community college there. I decided to try college. I was 36, a high school graduate (barely), married, a father of a baby, and unemployed. But it turned out that I really liked college, and I was pretty good at it. The more I went, the more I started looking forward to it. I was the only biker in any of my classes. I was years older than the other students. Eventually, I got a degree in machine tool technology. I was a machinist. A few years later I got another degree, as a nurse. When I was studying to become an RN, I read about the symptoms of ADD (Hey! I got that!) and major depression (Hey! I got that too!) and conduct disorder. (Fuck! Let's not even go there.) But as an adult, I had just learned to cope with it, and overcome it. It just took 18 years to get my shit together.

Medication just speeds up the process. These illnesses are caused by an imbalance of four major neurotransmitter biochemicals in an area of the brain nerve system called the neural synapse. This isn't one place, it's a million little junctions where two nerves come together. If the balance of serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine or GABA become out of balance, you wind up depressed, or bipolar, or whatever.

The meds help unfuck it.

Sometimes there are side effects. Every medication has side affects, even Tylenol or Motrin. Sometimes they mild, sometimes not.

Taking meds or not is a choice. But if you choose not to take them, you had better be prepared to deal with any problems.

Guest imported_sofarok

Venlafaxine hydrochloride…

Venlafaxine hydrochloride…

New meds, apparently these are the shit..cant say im convinced..time will tell….im shit and I want to die…..

depression is a psychological thing.. cancer is a physical thing.

depression is like cancer of the mind dude. its something that you cant control and you've got a pretty narrow minded view of it.. "oh, if things are bad, go and watch TV... that will make you forget about it" ok, so, imagine if you had no control over your thoughts... like no matter what you did, depressed and suicidal thoughts were staring you in the face 24/7.. that's what depression is mate.. it's not a concious decision that you make..

i've got a homeboy who is bi-polar, just like his dad, and his dads dad and so on.. apparently it's heriditary... dude even spent a couple of weeks in a psych ward. man if only you could spend some time with him, tell him to go watch tv and to get over it... see how far that gets you.

you need to wake the fuck up and listen to people who actually know what they're talking about..

celexa has been working very well for me, i havent had any days where im depressed since i got on it. before i got the pills i was suicidal a lot. but since then iv been really happy. i havent had any side effects at all.

yo iv beeen around. i havent been posting much cuz there hasnt been any threads worth a fuck lately.

im doin aiight. bombin daily. i finally made a contact to the other good writer in my town so he hit up my cell and i accidently deleted the message. so im still pissed at that. i have a plan though.

thats tight your girl situation is workin out.. youll have to fill me in on the specifics. good lookin out.

Guest Stoney Blaze
Originally posted by avils

depression is like cancer of the mind dude. its something that you cant control and you've got a pretty narrow minded view of it.. "oh, if things are bad, go and watch TV... that will make you forget about it" ok, so, imagine if you had no control over your thoughts.....

There are volumes of yogic meditation books from ancient times that deal with 'controlling ones thoughts'. A natural ability in all humans that is not easy to learn but is learnable and essential to living.

Prescribed drugs may and often hinder (by adding a crutch to) this natural process of mental, psycological and emotional developement.

The system man has established in this world is fucked up ( it creates wars and makes monsters out of men) and so it is easy for one to get depressed. But still, the ability to find peace within is attainable.

Originally posted by ASER1NE

i have nothing useful to add .

dude, you gotta cut it out. it's a good thing all canadians aren't as annoying as you.

depression. hmmmm. This is tricky for me. now i understand bi-polarism and chemical imbalances. I understand the validity of the condition but honestly, and i know i'm going to hear it from the rafters, i have very little tolerance for it. Or rather, i have very little tolerance for it when it's a personal scapegoat.

When people are obvious assholes and blame it on being depressed-they get the "do not pass go, do not collect this months perscription of paxil" stare...granted, there are circumstances to justify almost anything that can come up, but when you have a free "say what i want and not feel any consequences" card via depression, your just giving the lowest of the low a bad name.

man, i really lost my focus here.

anyone who's ever seen breakfast of champions or read the book might remember this qoute

"until death, it's all life"....for some, this might lift spirits, for others it might make them go down farther depending on the dosage your doctor has you chewing. either way, there comes a point, condition or not, to "get your shit" together. depression, in my opinion, should not be something that can be blammed for not being able to do that.

Originally posted by blahblahblah

dude, you gotta cut it out. it's a good thing all canadians aren't as annoying as you.

depression. hmmmm. This is tricky for me. now i understand bi-polarism and chemical imbalances. I understand the validity of the condition but honestly, and i know i'm going to hear it from the rafters, i have very little tolerance for it. Or rather, i have very little tolerance for it when it's a personal scapegoat.

When people are obvious assholes and blame it on being depressed-they get the "do not pass go, do not collect this months perscription of paxil" stare...granted, there are circumstances to justify almost anything that can come up, but when you have a free "say what i want and not feel any consequences" card via depression, your just giving the lowest of the low a bad name.

man, i really lost my focus here.

anyone who's ever seen breakfast of champions or read the book might remember this qoute

"until death, it's all life"....for some, this might lift spirits, for others it might make them go down farther depending on the dosage your doctor has you chewing. either way, there comes a point, condition or not, to "get your shit" together. depression, in my opinion, should not be something that can be blammed for not being able to do that.

so where'd you go to med school again, doc ? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by blahblahblah

normally, that would of really brought me down, but my doctor upped my dossage to 3000mg

i dont take medication so that one's straight over my head.. although my girl did let me up my dosage of bustin out her a$$ to twice daily !!

up !!

Depression & Etc.

Depression is just one of numerous mental disorders caused by a chemical imbalance of one kind or another. The chemistry is a physical thing. It's like being born nearsighted or born with a hole in your heart. There's not a damn thing you can do about depression that really matters except take anti-depressants. There are several different classes--the Tri-Cyclic Antidepressants (TCA's) like Elavil or Asendin or Anafranil or Norpramin or Tofranil usually increases the amount of norepinephrine, serotonin or both in the central nervous system by blocking the re-uptake of these neurotransmitters by the pre-synaptic neurons. There are some disconcerting side effects for some people, so medical science prefers to use SSRI's these days.

The SSRI's (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) work on a different chemical principle than do the TCA's, but they essentially do the same thing, just by a different bio-chemical pathway. SSRI's include the well-known Prozac, Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, and a newer one, Celexa. Medical science does not actually know for sure how SSRI's work, but it is thought that they work by potentiating sertonergic activity in the central nervous system by inhibiting the neuronal re-uptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin.

There is another class of anti-depressants called MAO inhibitors, like Parnate or Nardil. They are very dangerous if you eat foods containing tryophan, tyramine or caffeine like red wine or aged cheese.

Then there are atypical anti-depressants that do not fall into either of these groups, like Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Remeron or Serzone.

Suffice it to say, there are millions of depressed people in the world, and thank God we have anti-depressants to treat them. Sixty years ago they treated depression with a straight jacket and ice water baths. The success rate was low. Today, things are a lot better. There is really no reason for a depressed person to suffer today.

Guest railroadjerk

ese, since i have NO FUCKING CLUE and im just talking stupid shit, i looked up depression. ive looked in the number of medical science books that are on the book case behind me in my house and found out that depression is a psychological thing (that ive been pretty much saying). cancer is a physical thing. you cant say depression is like cancer. maybe theyre both medical but cancer is an abnormal growth of cells and depression is a mental feeling of hopelessness. you can get over that without medication. you just need to always think in the positive, fuck the negative shit. to get rid of a tumor, you need to remove all of the tumor and follow with radiation or another treatment and hope thats the end of it.

did you listen to a word ese or seeking said? real depression, the truest form of it is not something you can get rid of by thinking positive and "fuck the negative shit." it just doesnt work that way.

youve obviously never dealt with depression before, and reading in a medical book will not give you an understanding of what depression is and what will make it go away.

depression is like an empty feeling inside and most of the time you have absolutely no idea why or how it got there. since you dont know why its there, you cant begin to use positive mental imagery or some equally bullshit way to make it go away. its a disease, as much a disease as cancer, except that its a mental disease with physical causes. you cant will away a pain you didnt see start, dude. it just doesnt work that way.

Archived