DONDI 1961-1998

uh and yes

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

this extract was nabbed from graphotism's number 27 issue...

RIP DONDI...

So it's a thursday night in 1982 iand i am sitting in the lounge with my parents and two kid sisters watching the BBC'S long running chart rundown top of the pops. An inane presenbter introduces malcom mclaren's buffalo gals and my family remain lake placid wall i am excitable as the hypeactive rug rat whizzzing on E numbers. Familiar with graffiti writng, the shit doesn't hit until that moment i see DONDI'S black, cool hand outline in said video. It's the first time i see writing in motionand along with thousands of deilish teens across the globe my mind is blown. An esssential new world is opened and things transpired, we could not havve had a better individual do this for us. Because DONDI was one of newyorks flyest; a fact exposed two years later when a book you may of heard called 'SUBWAY ART" was published it's opening spread is a martha cooper shot of a skinny guy straddled between two trains blazing up a T to that B the high wire act of painting machined metal was brought home to a generation and another inspirational, precious flash was stored the results of that piece ( children of the grave again part3) had a steady dream of similar achievements and again the style was dondi AKA mr white, BUS129, PRE, POSE, ROLL, 2MANY and ASIA. On the taken out worms scuttling qaround londons tube network in 86 could you see they affect DONDIS style had: from the cast iron strength of Cast and Comer chief rocking Big Mets and too rio and ice3 harming littlemets and districts. Moving into the 90's, ,that torch was kept flaming by the corpse that kept marching despite the gavvers best shut em down efforts, and as somew of those hard heads took to inovating styles of their own to see where they got it from was still possible.

DONDI earned his wish of influencing others and saw it happen before his death from AIDS in 1998 aged 37 with the publication of DONDI white: style master general by andrew "zephyr" witten and michale white, the graffit writer from east newyork, brooklyn has achieved posthumously another style not built for snuffing thanks to the fantastic job the two authors have carried out with this hard back memorial. Not only an XL size remembarance and a celebration of DONDI's beguilling craft it's a monumental book others would be hard pressed going against when it comes to representing the life of a graffiti artist.

The text is first hand biography, doubling as a historical trecord of new yorks 70's and 80's painting's and painters; how that sect went overground blowing international how moving art foundit's way onto the stillness of canvas and the Down town explosion of hip happenings. In the middle of those huge throffy waves DONDI surfed ZEPHYR as contempary and friend, and michael white as brother loop it all with love, as they do the pages upon pages of donald jospeh whites hand glides.

Here is an unparralleled, under one roof picture stoudy of a writers career. weather with can, marker, ball point, pencil; be it on train paper or stretched material, you see how styler master became the brooklynghts double barrel sir name. Over 70 pages are given upto rail works alone, each piece accompanied by one of his partners in tress pass like DOC, whyo had this to say about DONDI's last subway excursion "This was a funy night it was supost to be an Arban Bus w/c. When we got there, there where no flats dondi said" i'm not doing any styles on no ridges". he didn't want his last train to be a ridgy, when we finished whe where leaving the tunnel and DONDI just vanished. You have to climb yup alot of flights to get back upto the street. But he just dissapeared. When we got to my car, he was in the back seat, al huddled up. When i asked him how he got in my car, he just said " i know hondas".

The many skletches included provide prime evolutinary evidence, DONDI's gallery exhiibits show what got european art collectors openwhen they where looking for a new art order and the portrait shots retread heady times. Its a shame writing had to loose a sovereign to gain a king of a book . But with it, dondi white is still up in this mutherfucka. Go get

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: dondi...

Originally posted by one.two.

man dondi is amazing... his part in "style wars" when hes talking about being between the steel giants and the yards is dope. the king of all kings

rip dondi.

The extra footage has some more of his interviews and gives some more of a tribute on the second DVD in the set.

Dondi lives...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

if anyone doesnt like dondi's werk thwey would be hurting most peoples thoughts on him becasue he definelty was and will always be a style master of graffiti its people like him who have brought it where its at today and we all should thank him R.I.P dondi ur in safe hands from the feds now man :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived