the TRUTH campaign

Mr. Mang

i dont know. they seem to have a good message and heading in the right direction but their battle is one that they cant win. people who smoke know their risks and smoke regardless. its their decision and their life, shoving ads in their faces 24/7 really isn't gonna change their habits. what i dont understand is why there aren't organizations out against fast food joints. i mean they operate almost the same way as tobacco companies. and smoking 2 packs a day or eating 3 big Value Meals a day will still kill you. i dont know.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

do you know who actually funds the truth campaign? THE FUCKING TOBACCO COMPANIES ARE THE ONES WHO FUND THE TRUTH CAMPAIGN!!!! any publicity is good publicity. did you notice that people in this thread were saying "those ads make me want to light up a cigarette" or "those ads make me want to start smoking again" that's exactly the fuckin point. the class action law suits required the tobacco companies to put money into anti smoking awareness ads. now that everyone knows how bad for you they really are, tobacco companies needed a new angle to market cigarettes. they aren't allowed to advertise on tv, so you know how they got around it? make smokers seem like a persecuted minority--the uncool ads makes smoking cool again. it makes you part of a countercultural group and we all know how cool that is. it's just another marketing angle--pretty clever but i'll stick to marijuana thank you very much.

thank you Garcia Vega, (how ironic)

I thought that was who funded Truth, but, I couldn't remember and didn't want to do the research before I replied to Seeking, but that's what I was on about... to take another step into the 'fuzzy memory' the Truth campaign is a result of the first BIG lawsuit against Big Tobbaco...

i learned in my design class that thier "truth" logos.. (the white dots) represent the tops of ciggeretes.. the butts.

uh, yeah. i like the commercials only because i dont smoke anymore, and they help keep me from starting. I've been clean for months, and i don't feen for it anymore. Its great, my throat, lungs and body feels better.

but i mean i have nothing against people who do smoke.. your body, your decision, and if you want to stop, its possible.

Guest whoami
Originally posted by garcia_vega

do you know who actually funds the truth campaign? THE FUCKING TOBACCO COMPANIES ARE THE ONES WHO FUND THE TRUTH CAMPAIGN!!!! any publicity is good publicity. did you notice that people in this thread were saying "those ads make me want to light up a cigarette" or "those ads make me want to start smoking again" that's exactly the fuckin point. the class action law suits required the tobacco companies to put money into anti smoking awareness ads. now that everyone knows how bad for you they really are, tobacco companies needed a new angle to market cigarettes. they aren't allowed to advertise on tv, so you know how they got around it? make smokers seem like a persecuted minority--the uncool ads makes smoking cool again. it makes you part of a countercultural group and we all know how cool that is. it's just another marketing angle--pretty clever but i'll stick to marijuana thank you very much.

I thought their was that large lawsuit with the money etc, and the victims used the fundings of the lawsuit to make "TRUTH" awareness?

Originally posted by whoami

I thought their was that large lawsuit with the money etc, and the victims used the fundings of the lawsuit to make "TRUTH" awareness?

Big Tobacco was compelled to fund something like 70% of the awareness campaign

i guess its only me, but i love those commercials. even if theyare 'lies', id rather hear their lies than those told by the cigarette companies. -seeking

yeah, the lies the cigarette companies tell is 'drugs are bad'... who do you think funds the Partnership for a Drug Free America? -smart

what the fuck does d.a.r.e. have to do with anything? thats completely irrelivent. i would rather have someone lie to me, saying the ice was too thin and i shouldnt go out on it, then having them assure me its a foot thick, only to wind up falling through. that was my point.

nicotine is not addictive? bull-fucking-shit. -seeking

did anyone REALLY believe this one? -smart

the cigarette companies seemed to.

i love the fact that they're handing out stencils for people to spray paint the logo all over the place. even if they are lying, the world can only be helped by having 'truth' painted everywhere you look. -seeking

'the logo'? You mean THEIR logo, it's copywritten, it's their particular BRAND of truth you're promoting. Believe that if you use the Truth logo in a way visible way that they don't like, you WILL hear from their attorneys. -smart

i dont give a shit who's logo it is, when you hand out, for free, stencils with directions on how to use the stencil with spray paint, to apply it to things, thats dope to me. but the legality angle was a nice way of avoiding what i was getting at. is 'truth' any different from 'obey'? no. its something designed to make you think.

just the fact that they are standing up to any big business in a creative way, is fresh to me. -seeking

Dude, you nede to put down the Pentagon conspiracy notion for just long enough to realize that Truth IS BIG BUSINESS! -smart

suck my pentagon conspiracy.

the 'truth' campain is big business huh? well what are they selling? how much does it cost? oh thats right, NOTHING! this organization, regardless of the source of their funding, is trying to get across one point: SMOKING WILL KILL YOU. now maybe im just a bit idealistic, but i like the fact that someone is saying that. and i like the fact that they were creative enough to come up with a campain that tackled things from a street level perspective. they arent coming up with a hokey little jingle, or a anti-smoking puppet that plays a banjo, they're talking in a way that kids can understand. and thats who this is designed for. sure, maybe your average cynical 19 year old is saying 'man, i hate those commercials, they make me want to smoke more' but the 13 year old who is just now coming into the world where he will be faced with these decisions, isnt saying that. he's saying, wow, these things have rat poison in them, these things can kill me. and maybe 'the truth' is being misleading. maybe everything has rat poison in it, but the bottom line is that cigarettes will kill you. what's easier for a kid to understand, the word 'poison' or that 45 years from now, they will get throat cancer and die. a 14 year old kid can never grasp '45 years from now,' and by the time he can, it's too late.

if tom green dressed up like a big cigarette and ran around the senate building, everyone would think it was real funny. but when they do it, its stupid? why, cause it has a message? 'bullocks.' -seeking

I have never liked Tom Green, I find NOTHING he does funny -smart

fucking yeah for you. the point still stands. people are just too insecure to accept it when it doesnt end with a fart joke

and to those claiming they are just spreading lies, what are they lying about? -seeking

They distort facts, essentially making up their own numbers using the most biased reports of the tobacco opposition. -smart

so what? as i mentionned earlier, this campain is aimed at kids, ages 12-16. the bottom line is that smoking will kill you. its what, the seconed leading cause of death in the country? how can you even argue that the means DONT justify the end? is there any possible 'pro smoking' argument that anyone could ever make? find me one smoker who would give their kids a cigarette and encourage them to smoke it. oh thats right, they wouldnt. so who gives a fuck how we get that point across? a kid that age doesnt understand the idea of mortality. of 'the future.' we tell kids not to talk to strangers, even though 99 times out of a hundred, that stranger poses no threat at all. why do we do it? because a kid cant understand the difference between a stranger who wants to hurt them, and one who is just saying hello.' we distort the truth all the time, not because the truth isn't on our side, but because its the only way some people can make sense of it.

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

http://www.netgoth.org.uk/people/335.jpg'>

"heyyy whats wrong with smokin a few butts? i personally like to go for a walk to the park, sit next to my favorite tree, and smoke a nice crisp cigarette (sometimes i even smoke 2!). its one of my favortie things to do...whats the big deal!? heh"

....that girl is kinda cute.....WHAT?... noway. ...

godahmit.

CAPS...... get your face face.... on straight straight

Originally posted by seeking

so what? as i mentionned earlier, this campain is aimed at kids, ages 12-16. the bottom line is that smoking will kill you. its what, the seconed leading cause of death in the country? how can you even argue that the means DONT justify the end? is there any possible 'pro smoking' argument that anyone could ever make? find me one smoker who would give their kids a cigarette and encourage them to smoke it. oh thats right, they wouldnt. so who gives a fuck how we get that point across? a kid that age doesnt understand the idea of mortality. of 'the future.' we tell kids not to talk to strangers, even though 99 times out of a hundred, that stranger poses no threat at all. why do we do it? because a kid cant understand the difference between a stranger who wants to hurt them, and one who is just saying hello.' we distort the truth all the time, not because the truth isn't on our side, but because its the only way some people can make sense of it.

[/b]

they undercut their own credibility when they put out patently false statements and statistics... I don't pick my arguments based on popular opinion, so, as far as a 'pro-smoking' argument goes, I think smoking is a filthy habit but I wouldn't legislate someone else's right to partake. I consider it 'none of my business' and by proxy, nobody else's business either. Speaking of business, do you think Truth operates in a money vacuum? Do you think people aren't getting paychecks to write ad copy, film commercials and simply run the business aspects of Truth? It's a multi-billion dollar enterprise, not some grassroots movement that comes from the streets. The stencils are just another marketing angle, like the Linux stencils in San Fran.

Good political argument doesn't need to be 'dumbed down', if anything, the collective IQ of the constituancy needs to be elevated. I don't think simplifying all aspects of a multi-faceted issue into one catch phrase helps anyone. I do think simplifying an issue in order to make blanket statements that aren't really true under the name Truth is morally objectionable. If the real arguments against smoking are so many and convincing then those are the arguments that need promotion. If people can't understand that smoking will kill them, then so be it.

maybe we could raise money for little plaques that we could put on the observation deck of the Empire State building. They could say: "Warning, jumping off this building could result in serious injury or death!"

Why spend this money finding new ways to state the obvious instead of pumping it into a health care program? They could have called it Health. Instead, they worked up a propaganda machine and called it Truth...

Originally posted by Smart

they undercut their own credibility when they put out patently false statements and statistics...

please show me an example of facts these 'false statements'. these out and out 'lies' and then please explain to me how they are not being sued for slander for 'completely lying.' certainly the tobacco companies have enough lawyers for such a task.

I don't pick my arguments based on popular opinion, so, as far as a 'pro-smoking' argument goes, I think smoking is a filthy habit but I wouldn't legislate someone else's right to partake. I consider it 'none of my business' and by proxy, nobody else's business either.

their goal is to educate people about the stuff that the cigarette companies have been lying about for decades, not to outlaw cigarettes.

if we go by your logic, we shouldnt have any legislation about drunk driving, because that is hindering someones 'right to partake.'

Speaking of business, do you think Truth operates in a money vacuum? Do you think people aren't getting paychecks to write ad copy, film commercials and simply run the business aspects of Truth? It's a multi-billion dollar enterprise, not some grassroots movement that comes from the streets. The stencils are just another marketing angle, like the Linux stencils in San Fran.

so amnesty international, also a large business, is 'bad' because there are people who receive paychecks from it? so is the world wild life fund? i mean, weve all seen cars with their stickers. thats just another marketing angle right? just more 'propoganda' to make the secretaries more money?

do you honestly believe this complete crock of shit you're typing, or are you trying to be funny or something? i dont care if the stencils are a marketing campain, what they are marketing is something that can ONLY do good. there is no possible way, that people being informed about the risk's involved with smoking (or anything), could ever be a 'negative' thing. by your 'logic' the 'peace sign' is just a 'marketing angle' used by those people who are 'anti' war.

the fact that there is money behind this campain only further proves that it is important. the courts decided that the tobacco campanies had been LYING to us, so they FORCED them to bankroll a program that would tell us the TRUTH. smoking kills. that is the truth.

the campain itself does not make any money off of the 'product' they sell. they get funded regardless of if one person quits, or a million.

Good political argument doesn't need to be 'dumbed down', if anything, the collective IQ of the constituancy needs to be elevated. I don't think simplifying all aspects of a multi-faceted issue into one catch phrase helps anyone.

do you think a 12 year old kid would understand what you just said? this isnt a political argument, its fucking common sense. smoking kills you. to say that isn't 'dumbing things down', its just the root fucking fact. the 'truth' campain is trying to 'raise the collective IQ of the constituancy'. unless you have proof that smoking is good for you, and there arent carcenegens involved. then i suppose yes, they are lying.

I do think simplifying an issue in order to make blanket statements that aren't really true under the name Truth is morally objectionable. If the real arguments against smoking are so many and convincing then those are the arguments that need promotion. If people can't understand that smoking will kill them, then so be it.

smoking causes cancer. cigarettes contain poisons. smoking can kill you. are all of those statements true? yes they are. are they simple? yes they are. things dont always have to be complex, and infact, id say 9 out of 10 times, complexity is used to confuse those involved. how many times do i need to fucking say it, THIS IS A CAMPAIN AIMED AT 12-18 YEAR OLDS. are you honestly going to fault 'the truth' for talking in a manner that these kids can understand? again, going by your logic, 'barney' is doing our children a discervice, for 'dumbing down' the things he tells kids. your fucking killing me.

maybe we could raise money for little plaques that we could put on the observation deck of the Empire State building. They could say: "Warning, jumping off this building could result in serious injury or death!"

if 3 million a year died from jumping off the empire state building, like they do from cigarettes, yes, i would say we need to build some plauqes.

Why spend this money finding new ways to state the obvious instead of pumping it into a health care program? They could have called it Health. Instead, they worked up a propaganda machine and called it Truth...

jesus fucking christ, the level were at is bordering on offensive. you wanna talk about dumbing down, clearly i have to 'dumb down' my replies since regardless of your self chosen name, you are showing absolutely no ability to comprehend or even think logically.

what is 'obvious' to a 32 year old man, is not 'obvious' to a 13 year old child.

why not put it towards health care?

the money HAD to go towards an anti-smoking campain. it was part of the penalty, that the supreme court handed down to the tobacco companies, for DECEIVING the public.

they could have called the campain fucking 'googly goo' but that wouldnt have been very effective now would it? again, let me say this very slowly so that its understood. S M O K I N G C A N K I L L Y O U. that is the bottom line of their message. it is THE TRUTH. unless you'd like to argue that smoking is not addictive, is not carcenogenic, is not filled with chemicals and is infact good for you, you might as well just stop now, cause every single thing youve had to say has been bullshit.

jesus fucking christ already.

Originally posted by seeking

just the fact that they are standing up to any big business in a creative way, is fresh to me.

No shit, I think its cool like that too, but what these people dont seem to realize is that by standing up to corporations like Philip-Morris here in the United States will do nothing. Its pretty much pointless one might say. Philip-Morris couldnt care less if Americans smoke their product or not. Philip-Morris is concerned with East Asian countries like China because that is where all their money really comes from, not us in the U.S. the war is in asia!

If they are smart they'll target China

Archived