Photoshop art 5.

Guest Agt. Adopus

Originally posted by seeking

dude, so after checking that phong site, i now wonder how ive gone so far with photoshop, and never known what the fuck 'channels' did. i still dont completely get it, but ill do some of those tutorials later and im sure itll make sense, but like.... ive never used them for anything. i feel like such a hack. thats the problem with teaching yourself shit, you never learn anything that you dont know. haha.

i never even used blending options or opacity in photoshop till a month or two ago. its amazing some of the steps i used to take to do things that you can do so easily once you know how a program works.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

Yeah, no matter what, it all boils down to a matter of taste. I personally dig the style, so whenever I'm presented with a similar picture I tend to feel attracted to it before I decide if it's good or not. I mean, a LOT of it is pretty shitty (example), but some of it I find to be really clean, nice and elegant (example, minus the white band across the middle). It's too bad a style I feel so identified with has been so ridiculously overplayed.

As for Phong, I know that site had a bunch of links to other tutorials, including one really nice library of tutorials on text, but I don't know where that section went. And I hear you, ever since I learned about channels and efficient layer blending from Phong, Photoshop has simply not been the same. Beer,

El Mamerro

Edit: I just noticed that the "Reply" and "New Thread" buttons on this site have that goddamn arrow. Motion towards swift removal. And I hate small fonts on actual web information... but I do like the use of extremely tiny paragraphs used in these images as part of the design... they add to the sense of enormous scale, like you could zoom in and actually read it.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Feedback...

Mamerro, first of all i really like that and i could really spend some time on what i like and why. However since this is critisism i'll stick to what i dont like(i sound very serious now,haha).

I think the right part is done, you could make it even better and add/remove things but it already works for sure. All my comments have to do with the left part. It seems to me that the "face" is for some reason out of scale, i cant really explain that but that size doesnt seem functional when it comes to connecting both elements. Secondly i think you should also experiment on adjusting the levels of brightness and color in the "face" at this point the 'explosion' and the 'face' are kept in the same level, as volume and as power. I think you should give extra power to one of those and decide wich comes first or second. As i see the concept the 'face' should either be threatened by the explosion 'see it coming' or facing it from some distance, like just had avoided it.

The lower white stroke works very smoothly while the upper stroke seems to be draw more attention than it should, i'd do it half the size it is for that reason and for better use of the big black area above it.

Uuuum...of course all the above could only exist in my head, i dont want to sound like a smartass here...just my two cents.

Keep it uphttp://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb/icons/icon26.gif'>

Dude, those are some fucking awesome points. Definitely right on with the top white line, that's gonna get reduced. I also feel you on the face scale, it seems to be larger than it should. The reason being, I think, that the face is behind the "window", while the explosion, which should give the sense of being much larger and therefore farther than the face, is in front of the "window". Needs resizing.

I'd kinda like to keep the "power" levels pretty similar, but I think I'll make the face a little darker. What it really does need, however, is a darker space to the right of the face, to separate it a bit more from the flares.

I'll definitely mess around with it, this was my first shot at it. There is a big possibility the face will be replaced with a close up of a sweaty, moaning model'sface. But right on man, thanks for those points, they really, really help. Beer,

El Mamerro

PS: On a totally unrelated note, here's a Jesus Potato gif:

http://newcamp.net/hector/images/jpotato.gif'>

HAHAHAHAHAHA, YES!!! Funcrusher plus duck.

Those are nice, I really like the second one. All Photoshop, or was Illustrator involved? And of course, pics of hot girls, can't go wrong with that. Except maybe the Arial font on the star, haha. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest imported_Tesseract

Thanx, yeah the arial font is kinda weak there...i was under time pressure, this is a cd cover that few privilleged will lay their hands upon...guess what is on it??!?!?!?..yeah..still working on it though both cover and context.

I'm emotionally attached with the second although i dont dig it that much anymore its my first real work on many many layers and surgery precision...taught me a great deal of stuff, some strokes and lines are made on Coreldraw

Wow, i feel like I should learn how to use photoshope properly. I've only ever messed around with it in my studio while procrastinating. I find that it takes me a long time every time I jump on there to find things because i never bother to remember what everything does. I wish i could offer some critique Mamerro, but you're shit looks tight to me. I'm probably not good for offering any advice. Okay, more things to practice.

Hmmm, I guess I'm supposed to know you, MoeLarryCurly, but I'm not sure who you are, haha. I just dropped you an E-mail, let me know what's up. Oh, and thanks, teister. Beer,

El Mamerro

• 2 weeks later...

Archived