give me a hardcore tutorial...

Guest fr8lover

Guest fr8lover

i just got the priveledge to see a hardcore band live, and i must say im impressed. ive had a few mp3s here and there, but more along the lines of like further seems forever, rites of spring, thursday, hot water music, samiam...etc i dont want to use the term emo or emocore, but i guess i just did...im looking into the more "classic" form of hardcore, if you will.

seeing a balls out hardcore band is fucking envigorating. i love the tempo changes and the whole chaos into melody sort of thing its about...my only problem is trying to keep my head bobbing to the beat...to put it short i fucking loved it.

give me some good bands, songs whatever...i know there are a lot of fans out there, help a newbie out.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Depending on the style you're looking for, here are some great hardcore bands that I love...

Warzone

Agnostic Front

Madball

Gorilla Biscuits

Bane

old Biohazard

Youth Of Today

Ignite

Killing Flame

old Snapcase

Uniform Choice

Ten Yard Fight

h2o (the self titled cd)

25 Ta Life

Up Front

Fastbreak

more to come, but it's time for Letterman...

no. ignore what these people say for now.

-Bad Brains "s/t" (they only started hardcore)

-Cro Mags "Age of Quarrel" (continued the Bad Brains legacy note: do not get anything else from the cromags, it was just sub standard metal after that)

-Minor Threat "s/t" (this is just essential)

-Gorilla Biscuits "start today" (the best example of sing alang hardcore)

-Judge "Bringin it Down" (the first Metal influenced Straight edge, thousands have followed)

These are the basics that come to mind. i'm sure i'm missing out, but these give a good sample of the evolution of hardcore to what it has become today. after knowing this stuff, check out others like it like agnostic front, sick of it all, youth of today, inside out etc...

then you'll understand where these modern groups that people are talking come from about like poison the well, boy sets fire etc...

what band did you see? depending on what style you're going for it's easier to let you know, after only a few replies you already have tons of bands to sort through, it's a lot easier to give you the classics if we know what you enjoyed.

but..from the sound of it what you have been listening to is good shit.

Guest railroadjerk

umm...a local band called saved by grace.

i dont know the different subsets of hardcore but it was two guitars, bass, drums...singer screamed most of the time but like i said they had tons of tempo changes and slower more melodic parts in which he sang. its hard to describe being that i dont know a whole lot about it.

im pretty sure it doesnt fall under the whole style of ny hardcore or anything, i just assumed it was standard...

dont hate me for not knowing shit about this... :)

Guest serpent of the light

judge

trial

himsa

shai hulud

earth crisis

hatebreed

walls of jericho

x battleground x

e town concrete

shutdown

floorpunch

bane

youth of today

crucial youth

good clean fun

that should cover most types of hc, youth crew to metalcore brutality shit.

Guest railroadjerk

ok dig this...their website says they are a "melodic hardcore" band...any idea? they were pretty tuff, i dunno.

Guest Dr. Drew

from what you describe, sounds influenced by Boy Sets Fire.

if you want the lowdown of what hardcore is about, check out the list bug made

of all people above i'd listen to Bug as far as the classics go.

there's a lot of crap out there....i don't know what it is that i've been so obsessed with lately. i'd like to think of it as "energy". the other labels are useless. there's a lot of really great stuff to get into. the following bands have passed my list of "not just being fads", you know...bands that i have followed and tried to buy all of their records type bands...

jerome's dream (in retrospect, maybe my favorite band)

neil perry - best band out right now

orchid (classic)

the crimson curse (r.i.p.)

usurp synapse (r.i.p.)

guyana punch line ! !

charles bronson (buy their cd discography)

the <drago miette>

yeah, none of these bands are too traditional,but whatever....

alot of good stuff already been mentioned in this thread but I shall add more.

murder city devils

7 seconds

slugfest

by the grace of god

endpoint

guilt

negative approach

halfmast

coalesce

the swarm

mean season

warzone

some of the old snapcase stuff anything from looking glass self or steps is good

strife

in my eyes

stretch arm strong

Kill Your Idols

Problem Solver Revolver

All Out War

Guest Dr. Drew

aw damn shotmaker!!! the crayon club was such a classic album. don't get the mouse ear album, just the crayon club, or the split LP they did with maximillion colby

• bad brains (not hardcore necessarily, but essential)
  • judge
  • sheer terror
  • fudge tunnel (also not hardcore, but awesome)
  • snapcase..lookinglasself
  • cro mags..age of quarrel
  • integrity..humanity is the devil
  • american nightmare (!!!)
  • sam black church..let in life (!!!)
  • the melvins
  • inside out
  • youth of today
  • fugazi....untitled, repeater
  • minor threat discography
  • the descendents
  • avail
  • pegboy (!!!)

now, while some may argue that some of these bands are not technically 'hardcore bands', they are all fucking awesome, essential listening for anyone who loves hardcore..

lots of the above/already mentioned bands are awesome too..

i don't know a lot about the current hardcore scene, but i just saw american nightmare and they fucked shit up

Bug is on point. Anyone getting into hardcore this late should review the basics, and he listed em.

I'm with Are2 on not being overly concerned with labeling bands as HC or not, so check out her list for stuff you're likely to enjoy regardless of what it's called.

Originally posted by Zack Morris

the singer from american nightmare punched me with his stump and broke my glasses...true story.

HAHAHAHAHAHAA...

I remember some dude from a FLA band that was playing with them tried to start a fight with him while they were on stage... The FLA guy is yelling at him and the singer from AN grabbed his nut's with his one hand and was like "come on bitch, let's go."

Originally posted by A Fire Inside

HAHAHAHAHAHAA...

I remember some dude from a FLA band that was playing with them tried to start a fight with him while they were on stage... The FLA guy is yelling at him and the singer from AN grabbed his nut's with his one hand and was like "come on bitch, let's go."

but I wasn't trying to start anything with him..I was standing there watching them play and he threw the stump at me....fucker.

Archived