Stan Ridgway and "Wall of VooDoo"

KaBar

I don't know much about modern music, or even out-of-fashion '80s music, but there is a righteous group of radical railfans called the Arizona Combat Rail Fans that love a band called "Wall of VooDoo." They are a type of rail fan that acts pretty crazy. They own a piece of desert out twelve miles east of Gila Bend, AZ, just north of Maricopa Road at MP 867, west of Shawmut Siding.

These crazy guys go out there and camp, hang their collection of old railroad lanterns on the trackside fence and every time a train comes through, they shoot off fireworks and set off pyrotechnic displays, shoot flares into the air and explode what amounts to a huge firecracker. They launch 55-gallon drums into the air with explosives. One year they launched an old TV. They hop trains and some are into graff. These guys are young and crazy, but pretty much all adults.

Anyway, they all love a musician called Stan Ridgway. I never heard of the guy, but the fact that they love him so much makes me want to get some of his CD's or tapes or vinyl or whatever there is to get.

Anybody know anything about Stan Ridgway?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That sounds like the life. Ive always dreams about getting a property in the desert in the middle of nowhere, just cause you could do what ever you want. Anyways, Kabar im sure you could get his songs for free from a site like www.audiogalaxy.com you will have to download a very small program to be able to download, but I think you will find it worth it.

kabar..

wall of voodoo is remembered for one hit, the early-80's radio standard "Mexican Radio" (which coincidentally was covered by Celtic Frost!!).... sounds like cult fans, which are always interesting people. it's nice to hear a band that's often considered a 'one-hit wonder' has more to offer, at least to some people.

ridgway was a member of this band, and plenty of info can be gathered from www.allmusic.com

here's the first paragraph from the 'stan ridgway' listing on allmusic:

"One of the most unique singer/songwriters in American indie music, with an unforgettable adenoidal vocal delivery that makes him sound like a low-level wise guy in one of those old Warner Bros. gangster films of the '30s and a lyrical obsession with the themes of pulp crime novels and film noir, Stan Ridgway is a true original. From his early days with quirky Los Angeles new wavers Wall of Voodoo to his even more intriguing solo career, Ridgway has created an impressive, if at times somewhat inscrutable and increasingly bleak, body of work."

Archived