Polaroids.

KASTsystem

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

nice.

i was hoping to see some polaroid

manipulation images..................

you can do fresh things with

polaroids..

Guest BROWNer

actually, when i first saw them i instantly thought of

raymond pettibon.................not saying you're biting

him or whatever....his style is pretty.....um.....

anyhow.....add some cryptic ass quotes ala ^ underneath

and you're set....

Guest imported_Tesseract

KAST, nice stuff...i'd like to see the originals to.

This thread is awesome, dont let it die, Polaroids are cool

I'll post some later, all i can find now is nude girls (shoot your own sucka:beat: )

Drain, i need info on transfering...drop the knowledge

Originally posted by Tesseract

Dam drain, how do you do that transfer thing?

well first you need to have a "daylab" which prints slides onto polaroid 669 film.....then you can transfer the negative onto a surface.....try searching "polroid transfer" on google and you'll find lots-o-stuff......it's fun stuff!

Originally posted by tue skinny

yah tess thats why i wanted him to email me to find out the same thing. skateboarding is good too. nice work drain

actually i'm not a "him" but a "her" but anywayz i don't skate but that's a picture of a friend........thanks for the compliments......!

thanks for the feedback everyone.

and Drain Bamage, those are some hot flicks...what do you mean by polaroid transfer?

Aser1ne: I'm kind of surprised you think it's kid-style drawing....that's not what I was going for at all. They are just small-scale ink drawings (drawn the size of actual polaroids.) For the most part they are kind of like silhouettes, with a few exceptions in some spots. My only guess as to why you would think they look like kid drawings is because I didn't draw the outlines of the pictures with straight lines.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to post the original polaroids because I don't want to hear that people like them more than my drawings!

Guest imported_Tesseract

Kaes, fair enough!

Drain, those are very good, i really like the transfers you do.

I searched for the technique, si if anyone is interested, here it is:I

***IMAGE TRANSFER***

mage transfer involves prematurely peeling apart a color print film, then pressing the negative onto a new receptor sheet. When this is done, the image transfers onto the receptor sheet just as it would normally have transferred onto the Polaroid print - except that the image now displays a quality defined by the receptor medium used.

Any Polacolor ER film (Types 669, 59, 559, 809) can be used. Image transfers can be created either "live" from the camera, in the darkroom using projection printing. You can also use a Daylab Slide Printer or a Polaroid PolaPrinter.

Whichever film and method of exposure is used, the greatest effect on the final image comes from the surface texture of the receptor. Most commonly, the receptor is paper, but other absorbent surfaces can also be tried for alternative effects.

Step-by-step

Before you begin you will need to arrange three separate areas. One will be for the exposure unit; one will be for treating the receptor sheet prior to image transfer; one will be a flat surface where the negative can be pressed in contact with the receptor. For the purpose of this explanation, it will be assumed that you are using a Daylab Slide Printer unit.

In the receptor preparation area, you should cut the paper sheets to the desired size (typically around 8x10 " for medium format images). If the paper has a rough surface, it will need to be wetted by immersed in warm water, and blotted with a paper towel to remove surface liquid. You could also use a rubber squeegee. Smoother surface papers ('hot pressed') are easier to use, but produce less textured images.

Having made your exposure in the normal way, wait for 5-10 seconds, then peel apart the film and discard the print, which will appear rather faint and orange. Using sharp scissors, cut off the chemical pad. The more dyes remaining on the discarded print, the less there will be on the negative to make the transfer. Press the negative in contact with the receptor sheet.

With a medium-hard rubber ink roller, apply moderate pressure to the back of the negative in order to ensure full contact between the negative and the receptor. Applying too much pressure can squeeze out the chemical gel that carries the image from the negative to the receptor, ruining the picture. Excessive rolling, especially when using smoother papers, can also cause the image to move slightly, reducing sharpness. It is best to roll about four times, working in one direction only.

Leave the print for one minute, then carefully peel off the negative to reveal the transferred image on the receptor sheet. You can also soak the negative/receptor combination in the warm water bath for 15 - 30 seconds prior to peeling to ensure image integrity. Gentle heat can be applied to the back of the negative (using a hair drier) to stop black areas from lifting-off and showing as mid-blue.

The finished image transfer should be put to one side on a safe, flat surface, and left to dry naturally. After drying, the print can be sprayed with a clear UV protective coat to seal the image.

Variations

Experiment with different papers. If the paper is very smooth and has a well-sealed surface, the image may not take - or may look almost the same as the normal Polaroid print (except for a slight blue color cast caused by orange dye having been lost prior to peeling the film). If the paper is too coarse, the image will appear blotchy. Between these two extremes is a whole host of useable surfaces, so try out a few to see what effects they give.

Cloth, wood, and unglazed ceramic tiles can all accept image transfers.

Surfaces can be manipulated before accepting image transfers. One possibility is to spray on a very thin coating of metallic paint, which can make highlight areas glisten.

After an image transfer has dried, it can be scraped away and/or colored in local areas.

Minor image defects can often be retouched using suitable dyes or watercolor inks and paints. Be sure to work carefully in order to avoid ruining the image transfer.

Rather than distributing valuable originals, you may want to copy your image transfers onto transparency film, or scan the original image into your computer for output with a color printer.

For ease of use, Polaroid supplies an all-in-one kit that contains everything needed for image transfer except the Daylab Slide Printer.

Archived