STEM CELL RESEARCH

Guest KONFLIKT

I'm not sure anyone can voice a legitimate opinion without knowing at least the basic facts. Unless there's been some astonishing reversal lately, my information is that the world population is increasing dramatically, and that increase is geometric, not linear (meaning the RATE of increase is also increasing).

On the cell research itself, Are2 clears up some misconceptions.

So my at least semi-informed opinion is this: I'm for less humans, but I see no reason not to research ways to improve the quality of life for those that exist. Stem cell research ought to be far less controversial than straight cloning.

It's strange, I partially agree with almost everyone who spoke on this issue, and I have to sound paradoxical as a result. I have a strong Darwinist streak of "let the weak die". I'm strongly against overpopulation, and in fact pro-abortion. (Not just pro-choice, but pro-abortion - all unplanned pregnancies really ought to be terminated. If you're not ready to raise a child, don't have one.) Yet I have enough feeling to want to see a medical breakthrough that can help people live better. Which contrasts sharply with my loathing for drug companies, who care only for profits and nothing for people, though they say just the reverse.

I guess I'm too selfish and nihilistic to ever be completely free of hypocrisy. Which I think is natural.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

..let's hope drug companies won't get ahold of patents on this technology..which is why allowing widespread research of it is important..

i also agree with cracked to a point: i don't believe extraordinary means should be employed to keep an extremely unhealthy person who is critical, alive..

nature intended for us all to die at a point

however, i do believe science is approaching a limit on the extension of human life, for now..

it won't be until we cure cancer that we are truly in danger of keeping too many people alive and healthy.

cancer is, almost by definition, nature's way of weeding people out

and as our world population continues to soar out of control, i also believe that nature will come up with new diseases and plagues to start wiping out excess population..

the world can only sustain so many for so long until diseases like AIDS and Ebola start to wipe out huge portions of the population..

the emergence of new virulent diseases attests to this, as does the birth of resistant strains of bacteria..

i wouldn't worry about medical technology keeping people alive that much longer than they 'should' be...nature will find a way tlo kill more people off (and we continue to develop new ways ourselves...airplanes, crack, etc.)

Archived