for those keeping score at home

Guest beardo

Guest beardo

Shadow Government Activated for U.S.

Fri Mar 1, 7:51 AM ET

By RON FOURNIER, AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Bush administration has activated Cold War-era plans for a "shadow government" consisting of 75 or more senior officials who live and work secretly outside Washington in case the nation's capital is crippled by terrorist attack, a senior government official said Thursday night.

Photos

AP Photo

Audio/Video

Pentagon Defends 'Shadow Government' (AP)

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the operation has been in effect since the first hours after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks but has evolved over time.

Originally designed to help the government withstand Cold War nuclear threats, the shadow government plan was activated out of heightened fears that the al-Qaida terrorist network might obtain a portable nuclear weapon. U.S. intelligence has no specific knowledge of such a weapon, but the risk was great enough to warrant the activation of a plan dating to the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the official said.

Under the classified "Continuity of Operations Plan," first reported by The Washington Post, high-ranking officials representing their departments have begun rotating in and out of the assignment at one of two fortified locations along the East Coast.

The Post said the first rotations were made in late October or early November, a fact confirmed by a senior government official late Thursday.

Officials who are activated for the duty live and work underground 24 hours a day, away from their families, according to the Post. The shadow government has sent home most of the first wave of deployed personnel, replacing them most commonly at 90-day intervals.

A government official who spoke to The Associated Press said the groups usually number 70 to 150 people, depending on the level of threat detected by U.S. intelligence. He said Bush does not foresee ever needing turn over government functions to the secret operation, but believed it was prudent to implement the long-standing plan in light of the gathering war on terrorism and persistent threats of future attacks.

The team, drawn from every Cabinet department and some independent agencies, would seek to prevent the collapse of essential government functions in the event of a disabling blow to Washington, the official said.

The underground government would try to contain disruptions of the nation's food and water supplies, transportation links, energy and telecommunications networks, public health and civil order, the Post reported. Later, it would begin to reconstitute the government.

The government-in-waiting is an extension of a policy that has kept Vice President @!#$ Cheney in secure undisclosed locations away from Washington. Cheney has moved in and out of public view as threat levels have fluctuated.

As next in line to power behind President Bush, he would need help running the government in a worst-case scenario

"We take this issue extraordinarily seriously, and are committed to doing as thorough a job as possible to ensure the ongoing operations of the federal government," Joseph W. Hagin, White House deputy chief of staff, told the Post, though he declined to discuss details. "In the case of the use of a weapon of mass destruction, the federal government would be able to do its job and continue to provide key services and respond."

According to the Post, the backup government consists generally of officials from top career ranks, from GS-14 and GS-15 to members of the Senior Executive Service. The White House is represented by a "senior-level presence," one official said, but well below such Cabinet-ranked advisers as Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice.

Many departments, including Justice and Treasury, have completed plans to delegate statutory powers to officials who would not normally exercise them, the Post said. Others do not need to make such legal transfers, or are holding them in reserve.

The report said civilians deployed for the operation are not allowed to take their families and may not tell anyone where they are going or why.

The two sites of the shadow government make use of local geological features to render them highly secure, the Post said. They are well stocked with food, water, medicine and other consumable supplies, and are capable of generating their own power.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by boxcarwilly

hmmmm... area 51 and saltlake city... i dunno justanopinon.

idont know why the US thinks releasing "viable" information will sway the country im not swayed nor will i.

im with you Jobe, but apparently most of the US doesnt think like alot of us here do.....all the US propaganda seems to be working. nobody seems to care that Bush is ruining the world for everybody (ecologically, politically, morally with the patriot act, etc.)....all in the name of "the war on terrorism". I wish he would stop. I am embarrassed to be called an American if being American means to be what Bush stands for.

Dont get me wrong, what happened in September was horrible, and repercussions were bound to happen (and they should have happened....fuck, a friend of mine from highschool was on the second plane to hit the WTC, and I was one of the first yelling to bomb the hell out of Osama, so I do understand that frame of mind) , but the way it was been warped and manipulated up until now, it's like some freaky sci-fi, big-brother evil government/corporation takeover that is really scary to watch unfold. I'm sorry, I cant express my thoughts properly, I' so filled with anger and confusion as to what the hell is really happening, i dont know what to say, or how to say it.

Originally posted by boxcarwilly

hmmmm... area 51 and saltlake city... i dunno justanopinon.

you saying that you think this is where they are keeping this "shadow government'?

like they said, its somewhere on the east coast....its a nice area too.;)

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

very interesting. f*ck bush, his father, and his brother. apocalypse now with these guys around. what a bleak future. it is very difficult to have a happy outlook on the future with shit like this going on. it almost makes me want to cry.

and to try and imagine, what would be going on with life nowadays had gore, or even nader, won the presidency? i know for sure i would still be hating on the w.

Guest beardo

i never thought it would happen, but im seriously thinking of moving to canada. im embarrassed to be an american.

thanks beardo for posting up the info...

and im with mr. nipple-galore... & his words are worth repeating...

"apparently most of the US doesnt think like alot of us here do.....all the US propaganda seems to be working. nobody seems to care that Bush is ruining the world for everybody (ecologically, politically, morally with the patriot act, etc.)....all in the name of "the war on terrorism". I wish he would stop. I am embarrassed to be called an American if being American means to be what Bush stands for. "

despise the disguise...

i'm crossing the ambassador!! if you care to join- we can march of to canada... a mere 15min. or so walk

Archived