What the fuck is "true school"?

Ski Mask

I've heard this damn expression used a million times and its gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I've never heard it used in a context where it sounds appropriate. It kind of subconsiously file anyone who uses the expression in with the "keep it real" people. Anyone else feel this way? Anyone wanna defend the term?

help me understand it...I'm just a country bumpkin thats been away from the city far too long.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

umm, yes largely idiotic, but it seems to have a very narrow plot of acceptable usage... i've heard a few nyc writers mentioned as "true school." they came from the right soil, had old school influences but weren't trying to just spit them back out, weren't sycophantic and just overall had an effortless great modern nyc style. it's an idiotic term for sure, but it makes sense in a few cases. obviously 13 year old skate rats rocking a hoodie with "true skool" "tagged" on it is horrifying.

Guest --zeSto--

this may be entire bunk...

But I remember when the term first started getting used around here.

It may have been used long before, but this one seemed to stick.

It was right as what would be known as 'new-school' skateboarding

got popular. The era of flip-tricks-to-nose-slides had begun.

The 'old-school' that was all about grinds and grabs was phasing out.

"True School" was introduced as the middle ground, where being well rounded

and just going big was the goal.

The term described a trend-free, common ground that all people shared.

and it was good.

Originally posted by ASER1NE

i try not to talk like an inbred retard , so im not up to date with the latest slang

exactly, overuse of slang or persistent swearing for the sake of it in any context drives me insane.

i only hear it in an old hiphop context.. like bambaataa and crazy legs and such. i think it simply shows that hiphop has aged, and is trying to differentiate between the different eras.

early 80's is a lot different than early 90's, yet both can be called old school.

Guest Stoney Blaze

I use the term true school on a regular basis when reffering to the main basics of any culture. It's not a new word at all.

It's probably the highest compliment an old schooler can give a new schooler.

I'm an innercity kid and I grew up talking and walking like one but I can still communicate like a news caster if need be.

At least I don't say "Graffer"

PEACE(<originally a hippie term).

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/MOE/trueschool%20copy.gif'>

Notice the "GRAFFITI KINGS" article title. And a dope article it is.

Archived