Low Budget Film Making - Arrested.

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

Anyone that is a low budget film maker is straight gangsta!

Anyone else make movies on shoe string budgets?

What do you shoot on? Video? Film?

Ever Been Arrested while filming?

What Is the most money you have spent and the least you have spent?

Most: Two Mini-DV tapes ($20)

One VHS Tape ($3 - for master product.)

3 air-soft guns ($45)

Total for hour long film: $68

Least: One Mini-DV tape

One VHS Tape

Total for half-hour long film: $13

I was arrested once while filming for not having a permit. We figured, oh this shot will take 10 minutes to shoot, we'll be in and out before anyone notices.

We were parked on a dirt road with the trunk open, in the trunk were the air-soft guns (Character was buying guns.) and three patrol cars roll up on us and they start screaming, "Step away from the vehicle and put your hands on the back of your head!" We do as we are told, One cop unbuttons the strap on his gun holster and looks in the trunk. He grabs the air-soft guns and dismantles them saying some crazy cop codes, "What are you guys doing? Selling fire-arms?" "No, Officer, we are shooting a film." "Who makes movies?" "We do." "Oh really? What do you say you come down to the station?" Stupid Friend: "One what charges asshole?" Cop: "Asshole, eh?" Slaps on the cuffs and we get in the back of one of the three cop cars.

At the station they were like, "you guys are students, right?" "yeah" "Oh! you can get a permit for free! It only takes a phone call and a few hours!" "Really?" "Yeah, you can do what you want too! Just have to check with us to make sure they are blank-firing weapons first" "Sounds good." "Well Since you guys didn't know, we're gonna be nice and let you slide, By the way, why didn't you take the orange caps out of the guns?" "We are shooting in black and white." "Oh."

We got driven back to our car. It was wierd. We only would have gotten a $100 fine for not having a permit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

me and my boy want to get into making short comical clips...we would like to specialize in gore effects, we are currently looking for artificial limbs, pumps, and other things necessarry for gore.....we want to shoot a scene playing cards for fingers...thought it would be cool...we watch alot of cheap horror movies and shit....i would like to get into clay mation too, that way we can pull some melting body parts bullshit....

I'd kill to make one, there's just the obstacles of creating a script that isn't bathed in shit, magically finding hundreds of thousands of dollars, casting, crew, pre-production, production, post-production, distribution and sanity that seem to keep holding me back.

For $68 I fucking salute you.

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

you made a "video", not a "film".

Even a low budget hour long film would cost a shit load more just in processing alone.

My four and a half minute long animation cost roughly 600 bucks.

just curious, what did you use to make your animation film? i also completed a 7 minute animated film. traditionally drawn, digitally colored on toonz, edited on avid.

I drew everthing on paper and colored it in with india ink. I shot it on 16mm film with an old animation stand, and I did some optical printing with some hand painted film, and I also used a film only travelling matte that had a live action TV screen within a hand drawn scene. Nothing on the visual side was digital. But I first edited the soundtrack with Protools, then timed the drawings to the soundtrack, which I then dubbed onto mag, and from there I had the lab put an optical track on the release print of the film.

Avid is good to use, but not always necessary. Many people (and my former bosses) place too much emphasis on knowing Avid, rather than knowing film making as a hands on process. That's why I love film so much, unless you have tons and tons of money, most of it has to be put together with your own two hands.

Originally posted by serum

dope. i'd be interested in seeing it. optical printing is fun as hell. do you work in the industry now? i'm almost there, just a language barrier away.

I worked in the industry for a bit at a pretty well known animation studio, and eventually became totally uninterested and burned out on animation and film, and basically totally dissillusioned. Some of the only animation I like any more is the Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead.

I say, if you want to keep your passion for your film making, and you want to make your own stuff - don't get an industry job - but that's just because I got burnt out. It's a brutal industry to be a part of - and you have to take a lot of shit from alot of asshole primadonnas.

I would be willing to trade something if you want a copy of my film. I take it you are not in the US...where are you?

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by HESHIANDET

sorry to say it, but film is dead.

Film is comercially dead, but artisticly never!

Be it the gain of super8 or the crystal clear kodachrome,

Film looks beter! There is no argument.

Sure it's more comercially viable to shoot progressive scan HD,

but that means that film become an artists medium again.

Just so you know...

If you know the right people (have supportive friends) you can make anything happen.

hell... There's a Stedicam in my Living room right now,

my buddies got his bolex and 1000 feet of 35mm Vision film,

This guy a Delux Processing will do the transfer after-hours for cheap,

And I'm typing on a Avid Network (that I manage).

point is... just go out and make it, and people will conspire to help you.

Just start with a good story.

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

Many people (and my former bosses) place too much emphasis on knowing Avid, rather than knowing film making as a hands on process. That's why I love film so much, unless you have tons and tons of money, most of it has to be put together with your own two hands.

Yup.

If digital forms of editing are the equivalent of rocking a burner, then traditional cutting is street bombing at its finest.

Just out of curiosity, did you get a good price on that 16mm film?

Guest willy.wonka

im just stepping in to say

if i were a director or a film maker.......i would be awesome!

i have a nack for video and little things....i love it.

• 1 year later...

nice thread ,me and my friends were planning to make a movie about the elements u know earth,wind ,water,fire.......and wierd thing i had a dream about the elements that lasted 3 hrs.cuz i woke up at 9:00 and fell back asleep til 12:00 as soon as i woke up i wrote everything down that happnd in the dream ,that shit was hott.......the brain is a cool thing:crazy:

Guest imported_sofarok

before film school retarded my love of film making I was always out and about with camera etc, I had many scrapes with the law but here (the UK) you don’t need permits to shoot…when I was at uni doing my degree in film and new media I was working on some gay project which was supposed to be a self portrait piece, I had very little idea what to do so set up ‘note booking’ my life with a mini dv camera, hoping I would get enough usable footage to create something in the edit….so while visit friends back home for a few days I took the cam on a painting mission, now this was a chill spot, never had and police problems or anything, but of course after mapping out british transport police turned up and arrested us…that’s about it for that story…sorry not amazingly interesting I know….

Got a script, got a DP, working on the money end

I wrote a script about parenting, using my background both as a trainhopper and as a psych nurse. I got an old high-school buddy who worked in 41 feature films as a stunt man. He agreed to help me shoot it. He's heavily into DV. He was in the Bandidos for 17 years, and has hours of motorcycle drag-racing footage on tape. If you've ever seen the movie "Stone Cold," my buddy did the motorcycle-helicopter-jump stunt. It's the most expensive motorcycle stunt ever put on film. If you watch closely you can see him jump for the air bag down below the hovering helicopter.

He's also partially deaf from a exploding car stunt that sort of went wrong. The explosives guy blew up the car they were in, as well as the thing they were crashing into. It was actually a big bin full of empty beer cans--the end of a car chase/gun battle that wound up in a recycling place. The guy was supposed to blow up the bin full of beer cans just as their car crashed into it and out the other side. The explosives guy thought it would "look cooler" if the back end of the car blew up too, as they went through the bin full of beer cans. Unfortunately, he sort of forgot to tell the stunt men he was going to blow up their car, and he used way too much explosives, which blew the car to smithereens and deafened both the stunt men--one of which was my buddy. Magic said "That was about as close to getting killed as I want to come. The car was like shredded. I couldn't hear a fucking thing for about a month."

We're trying to get enough backing to make a short--maybe ten, fifteen minutes--so we can shop the idea around. Man, wouldn't I love to make this movie.

Archived