are our soldiers fighting the 'war on terror' really heroes?

patrickjilbert

- GNN ARTICLE -

Spin of the Week

PR Watch, February 22, 2002

It was a big week for the American propaganda juggernaut. In Hollywood, blockbuster producer Jerry Bruckheimer got the green light to create a "reality" show featuring American soldiers battling for freedom across the globe. Back at the Pentagon, Rumsfield defended the announcement of a new Defense Dept. office dedicated to, among other things, planting pro-American news stories overseas - stories, that is, which may or may not be true.

Pentagon & Disney/ABC Turn War Into Gung Ho TV Entertainment

"The Pentagon is giving two Hollywood producers access to troops in Afghanistan and around the world to promote its war effort through television's genre of the moment, the reality series. The result is expected to be a 13-part series shown in prime time by ABC entertainment division this year. The producers - Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the movies "Black Hawk Down' and 'Pearl Harbor,' and Bertram van Munster, whose credits include the reality series ... 'Cops' - intend to tell the 'compelling personal stories of the U.S. military men and women who bear the burden of this fighting,' according to an ABC news release. ... A senior ABC executive who declined to be identified said yesterday that the network's news division complained to top officials at its parent company, Walt Disney, several weeks ago about entertainment producers' handling a documentary series about the war for the network. These complaints, the executive said, were rebuffed."

i was reading an article on Guerilla News (see above for part of the article) and was thinking about this - can we really consider our soldiers heroes?

almost every single person who is in the military right now, whether at home or overseas, did so by choice. it's their job. they were fully aware of the consequences. and much of the 'fighting' against the ill-equipped enemy is done by bombing and missles. they're not getting shot at.

and is fighting this 'war on terror' (which might be better translated into 'the war on whoever doesn't give us our way') a heroic thing? is it heroic to do whatever your government tells you without question? one might say yes, but think about it. doesn't sound too democratic to me, but hey it's the military so it doesn't matter...

i believe that fighting against the nazis and british was great (although i know ww2 wasn't perfect). we got rid of racist maniacs and gained our independence. all sounds great. the 'war on terror' seems too misguided to me. there are way too many other motives and way too much money to be made by this bullshit.

and if there is so much of a need to try to desperatley force our 'good' image on the world, was it that great to begin with?

i don't know. i'm just getting into trying to understand what is going on. any comments on anything or talk would be nice.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i definately agree that we cannot consider this mindless war heroic, stories of heroism are abound in the women who crouched in mud huts teaching school girls who were never supposed to learn to read how to. and what we bomb them now, we impose our beliefs and governmental policies on a culture we can never ever hope to understand, much like they cannot understand the gross materialism and inhumanity of the US. from the beginning ofscapegoating and blaming in this game, the US wants to come out on top... look who has the most Olympic medals so far, look who was the "hero" in death when he was interrogating a person who believed so strongly in his God that he would die for Allah. this country is on fire and the only water we have is words right now...

i fully believe if you commit to the armed forces you have to be willing to die, if you didnt why would you hold a gun... it is bullshit the US soldiers over there are no more heroic than any murderer...

rant done.

you know i understand how you guys take the stand you do against our war efforts and all. i mean im no joe fact i dont know it all but i do know that yes they may be fucking over other countrys, but look at how we get to live. so one some guy gets pulled over and gets a ticket becuase hes black or you get busted for skateboarding by the cops. wah wah sure those are all bad but i mean we could all be slaves living in huts and all that bullshit. and at the same tim ei know if america stopped doing fucked up shit to other coutries we wouldnt fall to that level of poverty but still. if you dont like the way the country is being ran then move to pakistan. see if your like their politics any better. if they dont suit you move on over to iran. see if your more comforatable with their laws.

and really i dont care about it all, think what you want, but like most of my post. im just bored.

Guest NoamChomsky

If i remember right,what Bill Maher said was that U.S. policy makers were the cowards for not taking action sooner.People thought he was calling the soldiers cowards but he just meant the politicians. Dont be misled,there is plenty of fighting still going on.Delta Force and the Special Air Service commandos get shot at plenty.I dont agree with this war but like Vietnam,there are still acts of individual heroism which deserve respect.

i was going to go to korea recently because the price, which was already the cheapest flight in asia, has dropped to approx $120. round trip. but then that dumb bastard has to start shit with north korea so with the south koreans rioting burning flags i'm afraid they might want to burn a white boy. i love china too so i figure if i ever want to see it before WWIII i'm going to have to go there soon. also bush came to japan and didnt throw up so he feels it was a success. i think me leaving america was the smartest thing i've ever done in my life. my family are fucking wierdos ever since the sep.11th thing. talking about killing muslims and shit. then some fucking pervert was staring at my girlfriend last night and i said what the fuck are you looking at bitch. and he says i'm from brazil i'm not a muslim. yeah? i give a fuck. blow up your tvs now.

YES.

Heroes for killing innocent families? Please. All these people talking about the US killing innocent families yet when you talk about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict you want to call these Palestinian Suicide bombers, bombing shopping malls , Revolutionaries and freedom fighters. You mean these "innocent families" pointing guns at us?

The term Hero has been way over used and abused in the last six months. Anyone at all involved in this post sept 11 war has been deemed a hero.

On the other side however, I would rather pay more respect to the privates, pleebs and soldiers who are just people like you and me. Maybe they're not "hero's" persay, but they get some props for being soldiers, and doing this stuff without question. They aren't the war mongers or the fat cats who are responsible, but they are doing what they feel is what they can do to earn a living and maybe get and education with the GI bill. Most people join the army because they don't have a very decent income and want to take advantage of the few perks the armed forces offer....and I think alot of them hope that a big war doesn't start. My cousin joined up long enough ago that she got out before any of this happened and she thanks her lucky stars for it. She's not a gun toting nut, or a murderous fiend - just regular folk.

org posted by ?!?!

but still. if you dont like the way the country is being ran then move to pakistan. see if your like their politics any better. if they dont suit you move on over to iran. see if your more comforatable with their laws.

i thought the point of americas "democracy" was so that the people had a say in how the country was run.

bush saying shit like "you're with me, or against me" sounds a lot like a dictatorship, (like you might expect to find in iran, where ever).

fuck bush.

he's not my fucking leader.

p.s. this war is ALL about suv's and cars. people are dying to keep mideast oil flowing to the us. that's truth.

honestly...

i now could care less about whats going on, wether it affects me or not. yes an ignorant statement but i just stopped caring this morning. i will let my great nation of america bully whoever they want, people will slander our nation regardless and fly planes into our corporations etc... but as of right now

i just dont care.

im going to go out, get a good job, be paid well, become extremely wealthy so i can spoil my kids and wife, and live in the hamptons or a little hut in the backwoods of china. with my little coy pond, paper walls, tons of white rice because i love that stuff, and neat little chinese birds flying above my clean cut grass and the little clear water creek that runs along the border of my yard.

i have chosen to become ignorant. it will not be good for anybody, if everybody else does the same, but as for me, im the first in the movement, which should never happen.

ignorance is bliss and sept. 11 never happened.

much blessings be healthy

MAN FUCK THIS WAR SHIT, IT'S NOT EVEN A WAR AND ALL THIS PRAPROGANDA ON THE NEWS HOW THEY TRY TO SAY THEY ARE HELPING THESE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT IS JUST TO JUSTIFY THEIR KILLING.

MY TEACHER TRY TO MAKE ME STAND UP FOR THE PLEDGE MONDAY CAUSE HE SAID THERE IS A WAR GOIN ON AND I SAID FUCK YOU I DON'T SUPPORT THIS SHIT AND HE GOT ALL MAD.

PLUS BIN LADEN IS NOTHIN NEW HE HAS BEEN DOIN SHIT LIKE THIS FOR A WHILE AND IF THE GOVERMENT REALLY WANTED TO STOP HIM BACK THEN THEY COULD OF AND THEY COULD OF STOPED THOSE PLANES FLYING IN THE BUILDINGS BUT AMERIKKKA JUST NEEDS SOME SORT OF EXCUSE TO WHIPE OUT WHOLE PLACES SO THEY CAN TAKE CONTROL OF THEM AND SPREAD CAPITALISM.

{THERE CAN NEVER REALLY BE JUSTICE ON STOLEN LAND}

"KRSONE"

I AGREE WITH ardenchapman

I JUST NOW READ WHAT YOU SAID THAT IS SO RIGHT MAN AMERIKKKA IS ALWAYS GETTIN RESOURCES OFF OF OTHER COUNTRIES AND AMERIKKKA IS ALWAYS STACKIN THE CASH AND ALL THESE PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES THAT ARE POOR SHOULD REALLY BE RICH BUT CAUSE IT'S THEIR RESOURCES I MEAN WHERE IN THE HELL IS THEIR MONEY THAT THEY ARE SOPOUSE TO GET.

alot of the arguments for the war have to do with peoples comments of if you dont like it get out, i love whatever freedom i can grasp in America and that freedom allows me to fight for freedom however i see fit. ardenchapman put it great... using the bush comment. i love the fruited grain america the country is fucking beautiful,until white man imposed his technology and rape on it... i hate the government that feels the need to spread our version of democracy and fight the evils of communism/fascism world wide... if democracy was so fucking great why doesnt it work, why is bush in office when gore won the popular vote? you have to question these things when you live in a country where you are controlled to the extent of spoonfed information... think about how all of this relates to the Bush administration and you will find your answers. i hate to belabor the point but obinladen was in a hospital after the embassy bombings, a cia operative fucking brought him flowers and he was the US's most wanted terrorist at that point in time... so we can kill children from high in the sky but we cannot kill OUR most wanted enemy when he is sick... fuck this is getting old.

kids lite your bottles lets have a bonfire.

Guest willy.wonka

all i know is

over 3000 dumb fuck marines navy and army walked around the street of waikiki last night,picking fights with the locals,sexually harassing the women,throwing food at the burger king workers...just showing no sign of respect...some of these guys are officers too.

oh and if you're real lucky...you'll know a couple of teenage girls that were raped by military men in some dark alley..

fucking robots....my friend who doesnt know how to fight took out 5 MARINES.they picked a fight with him...and they lost it.most of them are idiots,trained to do only one thing...to take orders...they are no different than some McDonalds worker.

most of these fucks are ........fuck dude,they're just idiots.trust me.

every military man i ever met.....its no different than jail.you are property.

go AMERICA go

WELL PUT EVERYONE I LIKE HOW SOMEONE BROUGHT UP HOW THEY PICK FIGHTS AND AND RAPE WOMEN CAUSE THEY DO JUST LIKE ALL THE RACE RIOTS IN AMERICA MOST OF THEM WERE CAUSED BY NAVY FUCKS AND THE ZOOT SUIT RIOTS WERE CAUSED BY THOSE NAVY BASTARDS AND AFTER WW2 WHERE THEY HAD TO GO BACK TO THE COUNTRIES THEY DESTROED AND STAY THERE HOW THEY WERE ALL RACIST TO THE JAPANESS BUT NOT THE THE GERMANS THAT IS SOME MESSED UP STUFF.

THE MILITARY ALWAYS TRY TO COME TO OUR SCHOOL AND RECRUIT PEOPLE TO THERE BRAINWASH CAMP TO BE BLOOD THRISTY ,RAPIST ROBOTS.

Originally posted by iCEBERG

like i said before, i still dont care, i will now go back to watchin my bootlegged blackhawk down. this is as close as im gettin to givin a fuq

i know you don't care, but for the sake knowledge...

it's funny that black hawk down is brought up. because that movie is based on a real fucked up story also.

the true story is that when the u.s. black hawk when down, and the crew was fighting for they're lives, they were being attacked by women and kids, throwing rocks and molotovs.

you know why?

because the whole world hates the u.s., we were over they're killing those kids dads, those womens brothers and husbands, and those townspeople were fucking pissed.

you know how those marines got out?

they shot the hell out of those women and kids.

based on a true story my ass.

i heard this in an interview with a marine that was on the 'black hawk down'.

and people wonder why someone would want to fly planes into shit here...

i'm moving to canada, fuck this place.

Guest imported_Tesseract

There must be a distinction between heroism and bravery.

Being a good soldier requires bravery, however bravery doesnt always have to do with being smart or serve a belief.

Heroic actions are judged by their results in the long run, or their intention in the first place.

Saving your ass (because thats what it's all about in the army) may require a brave action but its not something people will remember and thank you for. Blowing up people your goverment used to tap in the back 5 years ago isnt something worth fighting for.

The only heroes i see in the whole 'war against terror' thing are the firemen that had to deal with the WTC mess. They (apart from the dead) are the ones that tasted war in the worst way when not being trained for. They experienced horror in their own ground and they risked/given their lifes for a cause worth fighting for.

Keep in mind that special forces soldiers, take pleasure on what they do. They're not your average joe and they're dying for some action. The only difference they have in comparison with a regular killer is that they are legal and manipulated, making them society-friendly.

When it comes to regular soldiers, what can i say, i feel sorry for them but choices are choices.

It seems that the US army is a mercenary army after all. Operating for interests that dont concern the people. Notice that echelon was and still is used mostly for industrial spying.

When it comes to ignorance, if you can afford it, go ahead. Living in the states as a middle class citizen gives you the luxury to just dont give a fuck about what happens to the rest of the world. Living in the rest of the world forces you to learn about US policy and actions just because it has a big impact on your life. You can be ignorant in both cases but when shit comes your way (it always does at sometime) you wont know why. You'll become the blind carrier of things you dont understand.

Palaistinians are freedom fighters, and when they point guns at your face from that distance you must wonder why, the 'no vietnamese ever called me nigger' line pretty much explains some shit.

Archived