Is there a difference between gang graf and graf?

ENOS2002

Fuck gang graffiti, it just ends up w/another person being buried....real graffiti is about displaying ur talent and marking ur territory....most gang graf is marking territory and some real graf people get killed by a gang for going over their shit which is actual shit....fuck gangs....they arent a family....they r a lifestyle that ends in death or prison....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest me IS cool

Gangs usually do it to mark their territory. And writer's do it to get in peoples faces and show other writers "I was here". In LA there's a epidemic called tagbanging. Probably in other major cities too. Whereas graffiti crews take up the ways of the gang by shooting and killing other writers for personal beef. I personally encountered a crew that way. I feel it's pointless, but it's here and there's no way of getting around them.

But yeah don't fuck with gangs....

Guest me IS cool

I agree with you pistol. I always like seeing that gang stuff. that shit was raw to the bone. I remeber going down the 10 freeway and seeing a dope ass STATE STREET LOCOS placaso. I loved seeing it. It ran for a lotta of years until finally it got buffed. Gang graffiti is the real graffiti. I hate what they do but I love their writing. My brother used to be from a gang and he showed me how to write and do placasos like the old schoolers.

Hey pistol do you happen to have a flick of that STATE STREET LOCOS placaso? I don't know if you seen it or whatever but I'd like to get a flick of it. Digital would be perfect. thanks :)

Originally posted by mobius

around my neck of neck of the woods "quality gang graff" seems only to be an oxymoron

Where are you from. I hate to overgeneralize but from what I've seen on streets newspapers, the news etc, even in a discussion in my Cultural Geography class I feel there is a difference amongst gangs in style of graffiti. Chicano gangs which is basically all there is where I'm from until you get to the other sides of LA seem to take more pride in their graffiti. It really is something important to them. Where as black gangs and I guess any white gangs don't seem to put the imporatance into their graffiti. Cholo style is really almost like calligraphy. Check out some shit like Chaz. Although some black gangs do take pride in style of graffiti. Also I think the importance on style varies from region to region. I don't remember the name but in Chicago the gang graffiti was mostly just symbols for a long time. Like a pitchfork, or an upside down pitchfork for a dis. At least that's what I feel about gang graffiti.

yup, in Chicago they do rep things in a symbolic way for the most part, but the style of writing used is old english, and its new variations created by the new generations... dont you just love evolution?!

As for the difference... I hate when the to forms clash, where i come from at least while i was still there, a Gang has certain respect, and honor codes to up hold, if your are caught painting for your own fame, on a personal trip, you can get violated by your crew, if you start beefin with crews that are not down in the Gang sence, than you are disrespecting your nation, for messing with pussies that dont fight back(well thats what i heard), as for Graffcore crews, well we all know better then to mix the too lifestyles, and if you do, and you lose all respect for the whole graff scene in general, i always feel that these types should be shuned from the scene, if i hear that this and that crew be on some tagbanger shit, i will make an effort to buff/bomb over that shit just to keep them from catching fame. but thats just me...lol!:dazed:

Guest KONFLIKT
Originally posted by Pistol

Gang graffiti IS "real" graffiti whether we like it or not. It WAS around before "hip-hop" type graffiti.

SOO......TAKI & JUNIOR 161 WERE GANG BANGERS????

Originally posted by modesto

Gang graff represents a boppers crew and boppin' and Writers graff represents graff and writers crews.

Are there any famous gang writers?

hip me.

i don't think so..you are forgetting the solo artist

the best famous gang writer is the guy who wrote "Monster"

Archived