Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 01/19/2019 in all sections

1. For the lighted contest these guys did a blacklight oriented build, hard to flic obviously but this was pretty fucking cool.
    2 points
  2. The above pics are some of my favorite pieces here. Such a good capturing of childhood imagination of fantasy, Zelda meets Enid blyton meets Tolkien and More
    2 points
  3. I agree with the fact these companies are doing this to leverage huge ad campaigns for relatively low costs, generating massive exposure over night. I do think this, if even on a subconscious level immune to polling, plays an affect role on the consumer. It talks about the gender narratives in our society, which are real, the ad is mad clunky but i fucks with it they did a good job. Its interesting to me because its openly addressing the zeitgeist. No matter what, there will always be at least 49% of people that have a issue with fuck all. Shit now Im speculating on the motives of the media and a razor company, which is hq right down the street, what have we all become. Good weigh in.
    2 points
  4. I'm just gonna do a photodump. More pics will come over the next couple days, still a lot being set up here in Birmingham.
    1 point
  5. Atill my favorite thread of all time
    1 point
  6. Just kidding, surgery was smooth . BTW Does anyone fuck with Legos? Was a huge fan as a kid. Bored earlier and thought it would be cool to build a millennium falcon, checked the price and was like WTF? $800.00 Really? If you spend $800 on a box of legos for your kid you're crazy. Made me think back to the giant bag of random lego pieces I had as a kid. Probably 20 pounds of legos, probably cost less than $200 total. Either that or my Dad was way cooler, and more ballin for back then than I thought he was.
    1 point
  7. Granted, women hit the grocery store more than men, but making brand decision is an entirely different story. Not to go full Archie bunker here, but if Edith ever brought home those shit single use Bic razors like this shit is jail, I'd probably just go buy some Mach 3's myself, or send my meathead son in law. With shaving products, I'm guessing brand loyalty is so strong most men never switch it up after 16 to 21 years old after finding something that works. This means just like cigarettes, you gotta hook em young. Trying to make them switch later is much less cost effective, or even possible. Men this age usually aren't married, and nothing embodies youthful optimism more than supporting progressive social issues. TLDR: The board overseeing marketing at Gillette finished shaving each others balls one day and saw a Nike ad.
    1 point
  8. Current update, we've been open for 30 minutes and Alabama moms look a whole lot like you'd expect them to. (Fat, methy, or some odd mix between the two). Rooolllll tide. Oof.
    1 point
  9. I can certainly respect this point of view and don’t doubt that there are toxic elements as well as toxic consequences to men, women and whatever fits between the two. But I also believe in biology and the human condition. I don’t think we’re going to pretend our way out of the DNA and evolutionary predisposition towards males being inherently competitive and aggressive, nor females being inherently nurturing. Of course, there are exceptions and outliers and no doubt as an intelligent and self aware species we can always strive for better, but personally, my belief is that most of this is hypocritical and just a facad for a deeper agenda. I think ultimately what we’re doing here is encouraging a general segment of the population to suppress a natural tendency, ironically largely driven by another segment of the population that celebrates not suppressing outlier tendencies. In the end it’s going to result in more harm than good. For the record, and you guys have heard me say this repeatedly... I’m a staunch advocate of individual freedom and personal liberty, which also comes with personal responsibility and accountability. Meaning that once you reach a point of maturity, go ahead and live your life however you see fit, so long as it doesn’t encroach on the freedom and independence of others. I believe we’re granted the right to pursue happiness but not actually guaranteed that happiness, which seems to be the area that confuses some people. Anyhow, yeah... I do believe boys will be boys. That’s not the same as saying, it’s okay to be a bully or to conduct yourself in a way that threatens another person, male or female. But certainly don’t subscribe to this #metoo stuff nor all this hyper sensitivity or movement to suppress natural tendencies that are literally driven by hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and literally imprinted in our DNA. In any case, that’s just my own opinion, but the actual topic is whether we’re cool with Gillette or other consumer products based corporations to be leading or steering these types of conversations.
    1 point
  10. The metoo thing is almost too much to get into here, and without a woman the conversation is lacking a crucial point of view. On the video itself, I do not see anything all that controversial. The one part I took issue with was stopping the young man from engaging with the young woman on the street, without establishing what his approach was, I wan't to live in a world where talking to people on the street is okay, and I have started initiated long term relationships that were positive and respectful on the street. It is like the reverse dog whistle, if this shit is getting you riled there may be a problem. As to good marketing, when I was in middle school and they gave us the nuts dropping talk they gave us a box of products, trojan condoms, Gillette razor and shave cream, and old spice deodorant. In the decades that have followed I have been rolling with Gillette from the sensor to the sensor excel and now to whatever they call the multi blade contraption. Which has a single blade in the opposite direction in case you did not know. I think a conversation about marketing of social messages along with corporate hypocrisy may be more our pace.
    1 point
  11. Photo-documentation would be in line with established 12oz norms and mores, but pretty creepy in the over societal context.
    1 point
  12. Similar question... how much of these are Lego builds vs how many of these are custom painted and such. I assume people make their own parts out of other Lego, oor do people make some of their own Lego parts? Maybe that would disqualify it from being Lego? Thanks for sharing. Still feel like @Ko SprueOnewould dig.
    1 point
  13. I try not to participate in these as I always end up saying inflammatory things and then never come back... But, anyone on this forum who thinks we couldn't /shouldn't be better should stroll over to the smash/trash thread and see what kinda fucking animals we all are.
    1 point
  14. I'll take more today, but that gives you an idea of what happens at these things. This is a medium sized event as well, but still hundreds of lonely nerds amassed these builds. Also, I'll reply more later, but nostalgia is absolutely nuts. I recently got an Xmas catalog from sears from like 1994--holy fuck is that a trip to look through.
    1 point
  15. 1 point
  16. This windmill is also insane, modern vertical axis turbine design thrown in for fun.
    1 point
  17. Last post's photos were the best for me. My nerd ass is always into the space shit, and the trojan horse/palaces are fucking insane.
    1 point
  18. I had alot of that first bunch growing up. Nostalgia overload
    1 point
  19. Yea you never see tampon ads where they act like cranky bitches
    1 point
  20. Wheres the vid about Feminine Toxicity though ? What a joke. Only men can be toxic ?? The brilliant marketing exec that thought it was a good idea to insult 90% of gillettes customer base is the same one behind that feminist Audi ad during last years Super Bowl.. Shocker. Gillette’s parent company is Proctor and Gamble, who hires all kinds of third parties to farm oils for their products using child labor, bordering on slavery. Yet they feel they have the moral high ground to tell the rest of us to.. “be better”..? Please.
    1 point
  21. Chicken Maryland, the dish and the cut (sold in the deli at woolies, have a few in the freezer right now) rock. Lungbuster ride, one of my home brews (a Pilsner citra SMaSH summer ale) and my hops garden.
    1 point
  22. posting on here for my once every couple of months post while taking a break from attempting to figure why one of my cars isn't running
    1 point
  23. Doth thou smasheth, or trasheth?
    1 point
  24. 1 point
  25. That’s a dude, man
    1 point
  26. Someone sent me this link the other day and LOL'ed... https://keepandbear.com/products/build-the-wall
    1 point
  27. Bojangles just posted a ship in a bottle he completed on FB, looks insane actually.
    1 point
  28. Nerdy as it sounds it could be interesting too. Think I posted some interesting Lego statues I saw in Pies a long time ago. Point is, not sure if you're serious or joking but could be cool depending. Until then.......
    1 point
  29. ill reserve judgement for now haha
    1 point
  30. 0 points
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00