Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/25/2018 in all sections

1. I forgot to link this article yesterday while I was writing my post. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/busy-new-stupid-ed-baldwin-sphr-gphr/ The CTO of my last job sent that out to the company and after reading it I realized how many people throughout my day were spinning their wheels, not getting a lot done, and making it seem like they're really getting a ton of work done. It's a good read even though I don't like or participate in linkedin. So the next time you find yourself apologetically telling someone that you would liked to have met them, responded to them, or just acknowledged their existence but couldn't because you've been so busy, consider the REAL message(s) you're sending them: My time is more important than yours. I'm not very good at prioritizing my time. I want you to judge me based on how busy I am, not how productive I am. You aren't a priority, or at least what you want to speak with me about isn't a priority. I spoke to a colleague (thanks Greg Roche) about this very issue and how we might avoid glorifying our busyness and the importance we place on it. The world is in perpetual do-more-with-less mode and that means it's easy for all of us to fall into the trap of becoming busy. Just speak to someone a generation or two older than you to confirm that the world moves much faster than it used to, and that the pace of change continues to increase with each passing day, month and year. Well, my colleague offered me a simple suggestion on how to curb my personal glorification of busy when interacting with family, friends and colleagues. Instead of using "I've been busy" as an excuse for your lack of responsiveness, instead simply say "it's not a priority for me". Because that's what you're really saying. Doing so will definitely set the cat amidst the pigeons and cause you to reflect heavily on whether you should have prioritized differently! To opt instead for the mainstream response of apologizing and saying your busy is just plain weak, and probably constitutes a little white lie. Because you could have chosen not to invest the last two hours catching up on email or sitting in worthless meetings. Because you could have chosen not to watch the last episode of Game of Thrones, or not taken that walk to play Pokemon Go and capture two more fictitious characters. You get the picture. I've started to adopt this practice and it's highlighted for me the importance of prioritizing my time, and not using the excuse that I've been too busy. Telling someone straight up that they aren't a priority is a lot harder. Saying "it isn't a priority" also doesn't glorify your busyness and imply that your time is more valuable than theirs. Try it out and see if it drives different behavior from you - it certainly has for me.
    2 points
  2. He posted this meme, Twitter demanded he delete it to reactivate his account.
    1 point
  3. 1 point
  4. some books and one of these trusty guys
    1 point
  5. I hate Foucault more than I hate post-2010 rap.
    1 point
  6. Had Styx - come fly away on rotation for a week. I'm old and not afraid to admit it!
    1 point
  7. Current Rotation: Zepplin Ben Harper & Charlee Musselwhite Odesza Flume Kruangbin DJ Krush Vince Staples
    1 point
  8. to me...rap and hardcore punk are two sides of the same coin they were, some are, anti-conformist, anti-authority movements that the youth would listen to to learn how to react to injustices now....that way of thinking is lost...i dont know the mumble rap today seems to think that they're above anything that has to do with current events the use of drugs and the "trippiness" of the sound seem to evoke thoughts of being high or "above" it all getting high is a way of escape is what it translates to me
    1 point
  9. Nice new post. I spy a whole wall.
    1 point
  10. While I agree with Allen, I agree with this as well. Was at a Santigold concert and the DJ played D.R.A.M. and Lil Yachty's "Broccoli" in between bands. Entire place went nuts. I knew at that point I had crossed an age threshold of which there was no recovery......
    1 point
  11. Been on a Hank Willians Senior tip still. Oh yeah, still like Kanye. Bad Brains and Aphex Twin still on rotation. Cool... Guess I haven’t really missed anything.
    1 point
  12. LOL. you are a definitive byproduct of that shit.
    1 point
  13. LOved the tales of the bounty hunters stars wars book. found it on the street years ago, read it, loved it, decided to keep it, and lost it all in about 2 weeks. and strangely enough I pulled this down from a bookshelf today to read for a quiet minute. @Bojangles did you know a copy made it all the way to Australia? How many did you sell of this? would ,love to know the back story.
    1 point
  14. 1 point
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00