Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 08/01/2018 in all sections

1. Maybe it's just me, but i think these two quotes are connected somehow.
    4 points
  2. https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/634456181/scientists-are-spying-on-whales-to-learn-how-they-eat-talk-and-walked
    2 points
  3. 2 points
  4. This shit is 23 years old.....1995.
    2 points
  5. 7F41EFC0-8366-49B2-BB20-BB6B32B1E14D.mp4
    2 points
  6. I've been married for 7 years, been with my wife for probably more like 11 or 12. God help me if something didn't work out and I had to go back into the dating pool.
    2 points
  7. So she put your balls in her purse and now you're upset 'cause they can't come out and play whenever you'd like?
    2 points
  8. Rant and slight TMI follows: I started off my internet adventure in the 1990s in high school. The first access was a BBS that would pull certain newsgroups every 24 hours or so and allow posting in them. The delays were long, and the content was very hard to sift through in that format. That evolved into an ISP showing up. They were slow. As in couldn't keep up with 56k modems. I'd given myself the (awful, looking back) task of learning x86 assembly language in detail and learning to write computer viruses, so I was hanging out on newsgroups that were populated by college professors, professional programmers, and various upper level CS students for the most part. It's not really a place a high school kid fits into, but I learned what I could there. Viruses in the early days were like graffiti for very bored programmers. Got interested in 3D art, too. Lots of forums for that. Ended up hanging with a bunch of pirates software liberation advocates on one hand, and in the forums of the most detailed reverse engineering site on the net at the time on the other. The programming newsgroups were kind of uptight about anyone that wasn't in their group, and you had to know more detail than I did at the time to ask any questions they'd answer. Still interesting. Typical stuff from college professors IME. Not really a place for general discussion, but you could get an answer out of them with careful phrasing and a detailed enough question. The software liberation advocates were hilarious in general. Hung out there for a long time and still wonder where some of the people went. Ran a ridiculous for the time distro site for a year when I had good bandwidth. Torrents have removed a lot of the public part of that scene, really. They accepted me pretty quickly and it was a fun place to post. The people posting in the reverse engineering forums (which constantly shuffled around between free hosts & random *chan style boards with almost no features thanks to members hacking them) were almost all older than me, lots of them were security professionals, PhDs, etc. That was also a fun place to hang out. Anyone was taken seriously, as it was highly multilingual. Ideas were respected more than anything. Not as much "personal" interaction since everyone was under a different alias every 5 minutes, it was mostly focused on software, but some were more into network / script hack type stuff. You were safe from anyone doing anything to you there (unlike *chans) and it was sorta a neutral zone between black hats & white hats. Got a couple of posts published as full articles on the site which had apparently new (ab)uses of various things that were later (ab)used by huge amounts of software / etc. You would not be able to find anything like that on a modern social network. Not because of the topic, but because even in a "group", they are not self-moderating like those boards were. Facebook allows the creation of an endless stream of bad messageboards at its best, and the rest of it is entirely filled with spam and garbage. /b/ had more interesting sharing coming from people, and their entire purpose was spam and garbage. It has changed communication for the worse, but has also locked lots of people in; if you have a bunch of friends who refuse to use anything but facebook and don't understand email, you have no contact with them. They want you to install facebook messenger and use it for phone calls. Why in the everloving hell would I do that? Anyway, I learned a lot of stuff there outside of reverse engineering of software. For example, one of the pages was on "reality cracking", which I think many here might enjoy even if the articles are dated: http://search.lores.eu/realicra/realicra.htm It's a lot of essays on things such as the psychology of supermarkets, propaganda, etc. I've showed this to many people over the years. I had one guy tell me it was paranoid bullshit. He's right, that's exactly what it looks like; that's why it works. It's been studied in detail, and research isn't that hard to find. I won't spam any more of them, but google will find plenty of interesting reading on the fine art of psychological manipulation. How does that apply to this post? Facebook et al. are making their money selling personal information (which people give up freely) and advertising space directed at them using their personal information, and it is designed so that people will want to. I had one of their recruiters contact me a couple of years ago; their job posting was looking for both a psychologist and a software engineer. I had a bunch of college psychology and listed it on my resume for the hell of it, I guess they thought I'd be able to communicate with a psychologist more easily. You can pretty much guess what the psychologist was for. ...... Anyway, back to things, I left the boards during a period where I was extremely depressed. I'd been laid off at work because they weren't busy enough, and the date I was supposed to come back in kept getting shoved another week in the future. Lost electric & utility in Feb. Tried to OD and failed. Went on a last ditch effort looking for anything on craigslist, and found a software engineering job with a... bizarre description. They were a commercial spin-off of an AF contractor doing incredibly expensive software protection. I didn't really like software protection as a career, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world by itself. I turned out to be way, way better than I'd thought at it, and I made more the first year than I had in the past 7 so I had the temporary anxiety relief of money to keep me going. One of the managers told me they all thought I was a plant or lying about my work history for the first couple of years because I was picking up the job too fast (and I'd guessed how it worked at the interview). Nothing we did was secret, but the scale was large enough that there was company wide paranoia, and most of us kept assault rifles next to our beds. I was getting job offers for positions at various contractors that needed high level clearance constantly, and got approached by someone claiming to be CIA once who was trying to judge interest level during the earlier time there. I'd not have believed him if he hadn't just happened to be sitting next to me on a flight to one city and again on the flight back from another city a couple hundred miles away. He left me with a card with a name that apparently doesn't exist and a phone number which I haven't attempted to call. All of that didn't play well for my natural paranoia and I left a lot of social sites I'd been on, lost contact with lots of people slowly, and generally went absolutely over the course of years. Right before it got really bad, I'd found out that code I'd written was on close to a billion devices at that point, which was also strangely terrifying when I thought about it later since I never actually believed that I knew what I was doing in terms of the code being any good. ? Came back out of it to the point that I could use the internet again a couple months later... memory was still an absolute wreck. At first I couldn't remember my address or phone number, and would space out in the middle of conversations and forget what we were talking about 10 seconds ago. Stupidly I got on facebook first thing and couldn't comprehend it. With everything suddenly "new" to me, it was the most ridiculous, batshit thing I'd ever seen. I also thought Donald Trump was either a hallucination or a mass trolling effort for a good 6 months, because I couldn't believe that either. My eventual conclusion was that, while yes, my perception was warped badly when I started noticing it, Facebook is also something nobody would accept as being a good idea if it just popped up in the early 2000s instead of evolving from the slow, stupid shift in culture. It had gotten me in the same way, and more posts like this one and analyses started popping up. Most people on there sort of agree that they don't like it, but they're still using it. Social media in general is not only a platform where various warped ideas and behavioral norms exist, but it's spreading them by slowly causing people to adjust and believe they are a "norm" of some sort. Memes are abused continuously, but nobody really realizes that the images themselves were things that managed to filter through people who understood they were creating a viral image, and survive that for years. They're still viral. That's a problem when people forget or don't know they are. There's a warping that occurs from that, too. It's also created an endless reliance on the internet. I can't reach most of my friends without going through a third party service which provides nothing and which I don't use, so I talk to far less people these days. It's unfortunate, but I can't do much about it unless I decide to join the crap that my ideals tell me is a carefully engineered psychological manipulation that I should be avoiding like the plague... and the problem with those is that even if you know about them you can't avoid being affected to some degree. Hopefully that was reasonably coherent. ? /rant
    2 points
  9. When dating a new chick it’s I’mportant to get to know one another it’s also important to check that bitch and put her in her place from time to time.
    1 point
  10. One of my favorite albums. Still bumpin incarcerated scarfaces
    1 point
  11. I agree, deleted image because I don't want to new-page. I don't like any of the presidents. I just bitch about whoever's handy.
    1 point
  12. Right? I want to try that at somebody else's house....
    1 point
  13. Not answering for him, and not defending Trump here... But you are correct in that we had undue advantage post WW2 that continues to this day. Not sure anyone would be consciously looking to replicate any particular era and I think all opinions are inherently subjective. This being said, I thought Obama was a terrible president as well, despite supporting him before his first term. We can discuss why that is in detail if you're interested, but to summarize... One of the largest issues I take with him was his consolidation of power into the Executive branch and how that has set a precedent that all presidents after will be able to take advantage of. Only an idiot wouldn't have seen the damage that was being done by all he was doing, even if Obama was your guy and you were in full support of him and his administration (which I ended up not at all being). This being said, what is most scary about what I see now is the clearly obvious concerted effort by the media to discredit Trump at every opportunity. This is a scary thing and anyone not recognizing it is even more blind to reality than most were to think it was okay for Obama to stretch the meaning of the Constitution and circumvent Congress as many times as he did. Extra nega-props since he was in fact a professor of Constitutional Law and certainly new better, which in my humble opinion he leveraged to instead find creative ways to circumvent it instead. Like all politicians, Trump has done some things right and plenty of things wrong. Again, difference I'm seeing is that very few are willing to recognize the good things he's done and that is being reinforced by a news, media and hollywood that is almost unified against him entirely. With the hyper-divisiveness we're seeing, no good will come of this and all of it is being greatly amplified and regularly encouraged with what can only be seen as a clear agenda. No good will come of this and I believe the smartest thing all of us can do is to step back and not engage.
    1 point
  14. Trump is making "Man, G.W. Jr wasn't that bad" into a relatively common sentiment. Also, ?‍❤️‍? Make America Gay Again ?‍❤️‍?
    1 point
  15. I never really gave any thoughtto how deeply rooted fb and instagram are with advertisers. Crazy world these days
    1 point
  16. On the hunting stuff: I don't know state hunting laws elsewhere, but whitetail deer population has exploded so badly in East Chicago / Gary area over the past 5 years that the state made a rifle season with a pretty extended set of allowed rounds and expanded the list of allowed pistol from "classic" magnums to add a few more common ones like .40 S&W and 10mm. On top of that they have "deer reduction zone" seasons running from 9/15/18 to 1/15/19 that allow hunting in wooded areas that would have been disallowed because they fall in designated city limits but are otherwise safe, and most importantly you can now bag 10 doe as long as you get one buck for that season. I didn't notice it before, but this is pretty much per county so you could end up needing a refrigerated truck to ship everything back if you stayed a while and hit the bonus seasons in multiple counties. There's also another "anterless deer" season a bit later. Between all that and the ones that have been in place, it works out to around 16 allowed in a year if you do those and only rifle / shotgun / pistol. Might make it worth a trip here because that's a lot of damn venison, and honestly we need the population reduced here badly, they're becoming like weird tame pest animals that just happen to love jumping through car windshields. Allowed rifle list is pretty extensive now: https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm ...especially since it used to be shotgun / muzzleloader only. .300 Remington Ultra Mag seems just a wee fucking bit overkill for a whitetail at the range you'd be encountering them at here, but I suppose it'll only go through about 2 or 3 full grown oak trees before stopping so it'll be good. ? Flying into CHI with hunting gear is probably a nightmare given their gun laws and the largest zone in this state pretty much surrounds all of Indianapolis anyway, so a trip into IND and finding a hotel near one of the fish & wildlife areas nearby might be your best best if a roadtrip isn't your thing. Up towards the northern part I know a few people who'd probably let you hunt deer / turkey on private land. Some farmers will too, if you ask them. Deer / Turkey / Rabbits are just pests to them and they don't have time to handle them all. Here's a 2017-2018 map, not sure if it's fully up to date with any 2018 changes yet. https://indnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=968b21eecbb742fabae9f8cf8323543e My dad stopped hunting years ago but we're thinking of going this year on general principle. Carry permits aren't needed while hunting here for handguns, and we're open carry for everything else in the first place. Licenses can be ordered from out of state in advance, so there's not much else to it than transporting gear here. ^ Literally never thought I'd be talking up this state lol Getting some pictures of this year's garden ready for next post. Normally I do lots of ultra-hot & exotic pepper varieties but had a bad case of root rot in the ones started indoors so I had to go with some local greenhouse starts for a lot of them. Still doing great.
    1 point
  17. That's all caligula
    1 point
  18. @misteravenI love my keens. I get them for my work shoes. The ones I get are the ones with no shoelace. I hate having to take my gloves off and tie them or the laces getting funky from dragging through gross shit before I realized they’re untied. So that’s the reason I got them. I’ve used them for over a year working/walking/stomping on 300+ degree hot asphalt, tar, diesel, water, etc. Because of the durability of those I’ve made them my official work boot and purchased Keen hiking boots and the weird looking water/river shoe/sandal.
    1 point
  19. @GnomeToysThat was a fantastic read. Thanks for posting. I recently deactivated my FB account, but to do so felt like being trolled as it just signs you out and stops notifications, it doesn't actually do anything else. I'm in a similar position to what you mention in that my friends all use FB. If I quit entirely I'd stop hearing from, seeing or being invite to anything they are doing. On top of that, they all use messenger. I don't know what the answer is, but myself and a close friend have started the process of removing ourselves from social media in an effort to simplify our lives. I can only hope that others close to me follow suit.
    1 point
  20. When I first moved in with my Ex who grew up in Japan, I mentioned it's considered rude & unsanitary to leave the toilet seat down in the U.S.. She sometimes left the seat down, but never complained if I left it up, that's the type of love dreams are made of.
    1 point
  21. Started this today. Not deep enough to have a concrete opinion yet. Will get back. Also, I think we should organize a forum book club of sorts. Would be nice to have discussion beyond a local setting.
    1 point
  22. Had a relatively shit day at work, came home to a Boosted board I pre-ordered a little over 12 weeks ago. Rode it to get a haircut, then met up with one of my neighbors at Home Depot a couple miles away in Queens to pick up gardening supplies. Gorilla gardened a tree planter in front of our building: Met a lot of our neighbors walking home when we were out there. Finished up then decided to finish off the first full battery on the boosted, took a couple of spills on that bitch, fucking thing is dangerous. Zero to 24 mph faster than a lot of cars I've owned. Didn't get the long board version because fuck longboards, but second guessing that after taking a few spills. Killed the slip on's:
    1 point
  23. Pizza Brooklyn post 1: pic 1 - Broadway Pizza - Fucking delicious. Just the welcome back I needed. Sauce was fuego. Size was great. Crust was crispy and flavorful. Classic NY slice. Pic 2 - Best Pizza - Pero, hipster food ccan be fire. This is fire hipster pizza. Frank L is doing some good shit. Fresh mozz and basil helps highlight the quality of the other ingredients. Paired with a pitcher of bud heavy is perfect. The light sweetness of an American adjunct lager carries the sugars in the sauce without making anything saccharine.
    1 point
  24. Some weekend vibes. 5B93E76D-2E03-41B9-8273-659F4B79F6CD.MOV 2AA1D9C5-1831-4CAD-95FD-A9B30F708BF1.mp4
    1 point
  25. I still thing this is one of the best. Norm MacDonald trolls the Bob Saget roast - watch more funny videos
    1 point
  26. Cool, glad it got there. So looks like I won the most reactions this past week, so it rolls over to the next person, which is @One Man Banned. Think I already sent you something, but fair is far, so if he wants it, send over a private message with your address again so I don't have to dig for it. https://forum.12ozprophet.com/mvp/?time=week Hoping we dont have to setup rules about how often the same person can win...
    1 point
  27. I recently deleted FB. Id had it. Was a good run but it just became so monotonous and repetitive. NO I dont want to see pictures of your dog/kid fuck off
    1 point
  28. Finally got around to and just finished, The Catcher In The Rye. I almost didn't get through the first chapter because I hate the way Salinger wrote Holden's dialog but I guess it's dated and maybe I need to read more Salinger to see if it's the writing or the character. Overall, It was good. A very privileged, young rebellious intellectual, describing, "a day in the life."
    1 point
  29. I have a feeling DAO isn't friends with anyone from here outside of 12oz Pretty sure he hates all of us
    1 point
  30. LOL! Being honest I don’t have the idle time to learn at this point. Tons of shit I’d like to get to, that I can’t due to lack of time. It is appealing to maybe do something I know is well outside my wheelhouse. Probably good for the brain and spirit. But just too much other stuff I either need or want to get to.
    1 point
  31. I want to see the most politically incorrect movie made. I have no title, but it would be something like (movie man voice): Produced and directed by Harvey Weinstein, starring Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey, guest appearance by Woody Allen, soundtrack featuring Michael Jackson, Ike Turner, and R. Kelly.
    1 point
  32. There is something about these cornfed women at Walmart that keeps me coming back.
    1 point
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00