Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 06/02/2018 in all sections

1. Hello everyone, I'm glad to see that there are so many people here hanging out again. I was brainstorming on some thread ideas that could get some discussions rolling here and this is one I came up with. I was talking with Misteraven the other day and said that this forum has some of the most senior forum members out of most any forum online. Seriously, think about it. How many other forums that are still around and active have members that have been there since 1999? It's quite amazing and unique the community that has been built here by it's people. So I wanted to make a new thread format given that we have people that are 'senior' (no sorry probably not getting discounts at Denny's yet quite yet) holding onto, what I could only believe to be, good stories. In a typical story-time fashion (think Drunk History or Reddit's AMA's) let's have people ask others about things that you wouldn't typically hear about. I've asked 'elderly' people questions about their past before and saw their eyes light up, like they hadn't told their favorite stories in years because nobody asked. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Anyway, tell us about where you live. Why do you live there? Did you end up there because of work, a lover, is it because that's where mom's basement is? What is there to do where you live? I live in Austin, TX and I notice that a lot of people like to come here in a tourist fashion and they always ask the same questions. If you haven't looked at the austin, tx subreddit.... I highly encourage you to. I spent years in tech and avoided getting on reddit because of.... well really because of 12oz Prophet. I had known what a forum was and what it was like to have a wild discussion about wtf ever with strangers. That's what Reddit appealed to with people, it brought 'the forum' to the masses. I didn't care about it because I already experienced it for years on 12ozProphet so it wasn't anything new or alluring to me. So, I check reddit every now and then because the Austin, TX subreddit is such a shit show. You can seriously get a bowl of popcorn, a pickle, a soda, and sit down to read it as a means of entertainment because the people living here are in many cases/ways ridiculous. Anyway, to not derail too far.... people always ask what the cool places to go here are because they only have 2 days and they need to do everything. It's not possible. So it pays to have a friend that knows the joint's in's and out's as I'm sure any of you that have traveled and couch surfed in other cities are aware. It pays huge to have a nice tour guide. I don't claim to know or do all the coolest shit in Austin, TX.... but I've lived here long enough to kinda know a little bit about what's up. This is a typical picture that you will see if you look up this city. This is the '360 Bridge'. The views of Lake Travis and the Texas Hill Country that Austin resides near are quite beautiful. The weather here is HOT in the summer as you would expect. I drove to San Antonio and then Uvalde last weekend and my car's ambient temp gauge was clocking 102*F outside.... and that's kinda low. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some days this summer in the 110 range. Austin, TX is amazing and special to me because I went to high school here and most of the people I keep in touch with that I went to high school with all still live in the same area down south. There are a ton of outdoor activities to do here. The Green Belt Google Map - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Barton+Creek+Greenbelt/@30.2471716,-97.8148779,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x865b4ad6b1f4b669:0xb200ad9d975a19ed!8m2!3d30.247167!4d-97.8126892 Gigantic wooded area with a lot of natural flowing creek/river water. There are a ton of nice secluded spots to get to and many popular ones too all along the water within the woods. It is basically a party outdoors in the summer there all the time. It's accessible from almost anywhere in the city. For instance, if I wanted to stand up and say I'm going to the rope swing to practice my backflips right now, I could be in the water in less than 45 minutes. Recently with the influx of new people moving to Austin there have been a lot more instances of people finding litter. And shitty litter, like literally baby diapers, glass bottles, and the like. You know, just total schmuck type stuff. Anyway, the Green Belt is still awesome and holds a special place in my heart. Pace Bend Park -- Lake Travis Google Map - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pace+Bend+Park/@30.4596386,-98.0214358,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x865b3b3681a3b4b3:0x20f207a3de9e2ce8!8m2!3d30.4596386!4d-98.0192471 'Acid Rock': another view of the same spot: This, I've jumped off this spot and hung out on that rock in the water a million times. Exaggerating a little but this is an amazing place to go and easy to find within the park if you stick to the right when you go in. When I was younger, a bit more wreckless, and didn't have health insurance/to pay my own bills... I used to do backflips off that cliff. I don't know how high it is. We also used to jump off these cliffs in the dark while 'camping' without any tents on certain psychadelic substances. Nobody ever got hurt or really in too much trouble thank God. Tubing at Don's Fish Camp -- San Marcos, TX (30 minutes south on I-35) Don's Fish Camp is a place you can go to tube for ~4h or so. I used to go down there and do what all the college kiddos are doing which is get drunk af by the time you're at the end where your cars are parked. Nowadays I like to go there kinda early in the morning before all the rugrats wake up from their ragers the night before.... but it never fails. You will always get to witness some crazy drunk shit on that river, whether it's some bro's trying to throw someone their car keys because it has a bottle opener on it (no glass in the river lol) and losing the keys in the water forever, flipping over in your tube while bringing all your important shit with you (phone keys wallet etc) and losing it forever, the guys in full scuba diving gear at the sections of rapids collecting on a sweet payday from all the shit people have lost in the water, the drunk girls at the end saying 'stephanie... .you bitch.... where are you stephanie, i love youuuu.... you bitch.... stephanNNIEEEEE'. You know that kind of stuff. Fun times. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen whether you intend to get torched on beers or not. Also, 'slap the bag' is a thing. They drink bag wine out of the bag.... on the river. Camping - There are basically a ton of state parks to camp at. My favorites are Palo Duro Canyon SP, Colorado Bend SP, Pedernales Falls SP, and Enchanted Rock SP. Food: Torchy's Tacos Website: https://torchystacos.com/menu/ Secret Menu: https://austin.com/torchys-secret-menu/ Pretty good, unique tacos. Check out their menu, go there if it sounds good. They probably have some of the best queso you can get from anywhere ever so don't skip on that if you go. My favorites are the Matador (secret menu item), the Tipsy Chick, the Tokyo Drifter (taco of the month taco that comes around once a year), and the typical Trailer Park Trashy style. If you want the OG Torchy's experience visit it at the trailer park location on the east side of South 1st street just south of Oltorf. Dan's Hamburgers http://www.dans-hamburgers.com/mobile_site/index.php Legendary in my book. A little greasy, but they use some of the best ingredients without being all fucking hippy about it. Their spot is at Manchaca and 71 (pronounced Man Chak - this is a subject of great contention in the community, again check the subreddit for austin tx for proof. It does come up every now and then). Perry's Pork Chop Friday http://www.perryssteakhouse.com/promo/pork-chop-friday-lunch/ Seriously every other pork chop in the history of ever get fucked. Perry's is in downtown Austin. It's a nice steak house that is in a building that used to be a bank. You can request the vault room which still has the door from the bank vault on it... you know the big round one with huge sliding studs to lock it in place coming out all around the circumference. This is an upscale joint, dress nice if you go... or I would anyway. So the point is, you need to go here on Friday for lunch either with a reservation ahead of time or you show up when the doors open at 11AM. You, otherwise can wait nearly an hour to get a seat because it's very full. On Friday for lunch you can get their porkchop for $14... and that's why it goes nuts there every Friday. And this is not just some pork chop dried out that your grandma made smothered in gravy.... this is like some ill shit you've never put any meat in your mouth before that was this good. Living in Austin: Traveling/traffic - Sneaking on/off the entrance/exit ramps to avoid traffic/lights. Traffic is terrible here all the time. The city planners didn't anticipate the need for more north/south infrastructure so we're stuck with only I-35 and Mopac to cross the river in downtown Austin. This creates bad congestion. Just north and south of downtown there are many exits where you can get off and back on the highway without sitting through a traffic light and you can go around all the traffic that is waiting. I do this to get home from down town in grid locked traffic in about 20 minutes and I live on the far south side of Austin. People generally are not good at driving here. You have to save your life everytime you drive your car because of the morons. Anyway, I won't get into that too heavily. Plan your trips early in this town and/or sit in traffic, those are your choices. Public Transit - buses run most hours of the day and can get you anywhere for cheap. They have bike racks so you can take your bike. There's a light rail in downtown that heads north west out of town up to Cedar Park and such.... aka South Dallas. South Dallas vs. North Mexico - There's a running theme where people that live in the northern parts just outside of downtown are referred to as living in 'South Dallas'. I lived in Dallas before and don't hate it, it's ok up there. But in Austin, Dallas has a negative stigma, so it's a cutdown to tell someone that they are being all 'Johnny Dallas' right now. Likewise, south Austin is viewed as 'Northern Mexico' and 'trashy' and crappy full of hippies or w/e. I really think it's funny. I live in the South area and I think it's where many of the long time Austinites reside. So that's about as much as I can write about Austin right now. Please tell us about your place and don't be cheap about it. -- DHabz
    3 points
  2. I live about 11 miles from downtown Los Angeles. I currently live in a city next to the city I grew up in. I moved away to orange count a few years back. Had my own house a few blocks from Disneyland. Sold that house after a divorce. Moved in with girlfriend. I like it here. I'd like to buy another house I guess. Gotta wait for the housing market to kinda take a shit again so I can jump in again. Shithole fixer uppers in my area are 400k and decent is 500+. Los Angeles is obviously pretty well known for things to do and places to see. I usually avoid those places. I'm on the east side. I feel like it has more history and culture. A lot of people talk shit about LA and the superficial atmosphere. No doubt. But I see that on the west side with rich people and transplants. The true Los Angeles people that have been here trying to carve out a slice of the American Dream before it was a piece of America. The heart and soul of the city that make the city run. I do enjoy going hiking in the San Gabriel mountains near Pasadena. A few minutes north of DTLA. Some short hikes with nice waterfalls. Summer nights at Dodger Stadium are nice. Still trying to get over last seasons ending. Went to all 4 games of the World Series. Weekday games can be had for a great price. The Griffith Park observatory is a great place to go. Obviously the regular observatory stuff but also great views of downtown, Hollywood, and the grids and layout of the city. Lots of hiking trails in Griffith park as well. Griffith park is also home to Travel Town. It's a cool little train museum with a bunch of trains you can get on and explore. They have a small train you can ride on. It's a hidden gem for rail fans and never crowded. The Gene Autry museum is located in Griffith park next to the LA Zoo. Lots of cowboy and native history stuff. But the also have rotating exhibitions there. Some Ive seen there Johnny cash, Yosemite rock climbing history, Los Angeles street names dedicated to saints. Etc. We have the Page museum located at the la Brea tarpits. They have animals the pulled out of the tarpits etc. One of my favorite places as a kid. The natural history museum is a great museum. Dinosaurs, gemstones, animals from around the world. Exhibits with insects, the Los Angeles River, butterflies, along with rotating exhibits. A big tattoo exhibit was held a couple months ago. Theres other museums located on the grounds like the African American museum and science center as well as rose garden and fountain. I generally don't go to Santa Monica, Venice or Malibu for my beach fix. I prefer Orange County beaches like sunset, Huntington, or Bolsa Chica. Sometimes Crystal Cove. Huntington and Bolsa Chica have fire pits so you can have bonfires on the beach. San Pedro is cool at the ports of long beach and Los Angeles. Food wise. Every one knows about In n Out. Taco wise King Taco is the most famous taco place but I don't feel the greatest. There's so many taco, burrito, burger, pizza places around. It's kinda more about where you live. Since Los Angeles is so big. Different area have their local spots. I'd probably like to live here for the rest of my life. Or at least until those im close to die off. Then I'll travel or find a cheap home in green triangle when I retire at 55 from my union city job.
    3 points
  3. I might have the Jesus potato emoji. I have to check if I still have the hard drive with 12oz stuff (i.e. Drawball, cheeto feet, wet tshirt contest, Bojangles laser school photo, etc.) at my parents in storage. Crossing my fingers. /nh on the Bojangles photo.
    1 point
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00