Hall of Fame

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 02/16/2010 in all sections

1. a brief history (via wiki). Vietnamese dishes are meals typically served with lots of greens, herbs, vegetables and various other accompaniments such as dipping sauces, hot and spicy pastes, and flavor enhancements such as a squeeze of lime or lemon. The dish is garnished with ingredients such as green onions, white onions, coriander, Thai basil (húng quế) (should not be confused with sweet basil - Vietnamese: húng chó or húng dổi), fresh Thai chili peppers, lemon or lime wedges, bean sprouts, and leaves of culantro (ngò gai) (should not be confused with cilantro or coriander - which is called ngò rí in Vietnamese. The coriander plant is used just for its seeds - hạt ngò to prepare the broth, but not its leaves). Several ingredients do not come with phở' but can be ordered by request. Extra beef fat in broth or nuoc beo can be ordered and comes with scallions to sweeten it. A popular side dish ordered upon request is hanh dam, or vinegared white onions. [edit] Origins and regional differences Phở gà at a typical phở street stall in Hanoi. Note the lack of side garnishes, typical of Northern Vietnamese-style phở. Vietnamese phở noodle soup with sliced rare beef and well done beef brisket.Because not much was written about the origin of phở until recently, its beginnings are a bit murky and mostly culled from oral histories.[4] Still, the consensus among academics, diners and restaurateurs is that it originated about a century ago in northern Vietnam.[4] It was originally sold by vendors from large boxes, until the first phở restaurant was opened in the 1920s in Hanoi.[5] While a distinctly Vietnamese dish, phở has French and Chinese influences.[4] The origin of the word was one subject in a seminar on phở held in Hanoi in 2003.[4] One theory advanced at the seminar is that the name comes from the French feu (fire), as in the dish pot-au-feu, which like phở uses the French method of adding charred onion to the broth for color and flavor, one of the techniques which distinguishes phở from other Asian noodle soups.[4] Some believe the origin of the word to be the Chinese fen (粉)[citation needed](this character is pronounced phấn in Vietnamese.) There are several regional variants of phở in Vietnam, particularly divided between northern (Hanoi, called phở bắc or "northern phở"; or phở Hà Nội), central (Huế)[citation needed], and southern (Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon). One regional phở may be sweeter, and another variation may emphasize a bolder and spicier flavor[citation needed]. "Northern phở" tends to use somewhat wider noodles and green onions.photo 1photo 2 On the other hand, southern Vietnamese generally use thinner noodles[citation needed] (approximately the width of pad Thai or linguine noodles), and add bean sprouts and a greater variety of fresh herbs to their phở instead. The variations in meat, broth, and additional garnishes such as lime, bean sprouts, ngò gai (Eryngium foetidum), hung que (Thai/Asian basil), and tuong (bean sauce/hoisin sauce) appear to be innovations introduced in the south.[4] The specific place of origin appears to be southwest of Hanoi in Nam Dinh province, then a substantial textile market, where cooks sought to please both Vietnamese (local rice noodles - originally of Chinese origin) and French tastes (cattle before the French arrival being beasts of burden, not sources of beef).[4][5] Phở did not become popular in South Vietnam until the mid-1950s.[6] Phở has become popular in Canada, particularly on the West Coast but also in any city[7] and the United States, particularly on the East and West Coast; such a cuisine brought by Vietnamese refugees who settled in North America from the late 1970s onwards. I've got my spot in Atlanta- Pho Bac on Buford Hwy @Chamblee Tucker Rd., I would love to know where to go when I travel...
    2 points
  2. if your a buscemi fan...the movies he's directed are also good. like this one.
    2 points
  3. Some old dude with a fanny pack smacks the shit out of a punk on the bus.
    2 points
  4. last time i was on a scale i was at 218-20 that was around early december. but i dont really look at the scale that much, it honestly is a de-motivator to me. I go by if i can fit the clothes that i want to wear. going from 5x to XL -L is a wonderful feeling.
    2 points
  5. i have no sympathy for people who are fat due to living a life of excess. i was once on the capsizing boat most of these fucks are on; weighing in over 300 lbs, but i lost that shit, so i dont see why other people cant. i guess if you want to be a blob all day that's cool, my life has been 300x better since ive lost weight.
    2 points
  6. Re: I wanna see your...........PETS! for the first 15 minutes he appears to be really happy but after failing to even get a grip of this giant bone he just got extremely upset and frustrated. i may need to saw this thing into pieces.
    2 points
  7. Just copped yesterday
    1 point
  8. Bionic Commando, you brought back crazy memories with the cereal. Would prop but cant give you any more right now. The Nintendo cereal was the jump off! The box was divided into to sections, one for Mario and the other for Zelda. Also the Smurf berry cereal was the shit! I think the 80s was the era of the most un-nutritional kids cereal of any period in history. At least now they push vitamins on the box. /goingtogetsomekidcerealatthestorelateroner
    1 point
  9. its great, in the NYPost comments there is some guy claiming that the media is blowing the story out of proportion since the dude in the photo is not actually properly doing the Heisman pose. shitty reporting trumps a man holding a human head, apparently.
    1 point
  10. hey, it could have been worse. Brassfield could have chosen this pose:
    1 point
  11. Re: COMPLIMENT THE PERSON ABOVE YOU - no homo you answer questions with awesome questions.
    1 point
  12. [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img] [/img]
    1 point
  13. If I see a cope throwup in that movie i'm walkin
    1 point
  14. NAAFBOMC...my new organization (National Association for the Advancement of Fat Bitches On My Cock)
    1 point
  15. hhahahaha ohmy go to the toy thread you got slayed :( I am no longer your friend. We can no longer paint together nor be seen hanging out anymore. You are 12oz shunned.
    1 point
  16. i got two pairs of pj pants that i never rock. i sleep in boxers.
    1 point
  17. holly shit i accedently bit regals E. omg lets talk about it for days now and compare pics
    1 point
  18. 1 point
  19. posting random shit from my site here:
    1 point
  20. stop being pissy people die everyday shit happens get over it
    1 point
  21. worst part is, i think the story reads that bitch mom was smoking, drinking, drugging (probably just inhalents and the rare brick weed when they could afford) when she was pregz and claimed she didn't know she was with juggalo spawn until 6 months i was so visibly upset about upon first seeing that shit a year or two ago went from loling and being irked by juggalos, to hoping for a holocaust via anthrax'd faygo
    1 point
  22. now i'm interested in seeing what both of there shit looks like that they are arguing over. lol
    1 point
  23. [/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]
    1 point
  24. 1 point
  25. 1 point
  26. HOLY SHIT! IT'S GETTIN HECTIC IN HURRRRRR!
    1 point
  27. http://www.datpiff.com/Camron_Mase_Big_L_McGruff_Bloodshed__Children.m312.html
    1 point
  28. me: "eyyo girl will you pop this for me?" her "sure thing hot stuff" me: "fuuuck... wow that was easy" her: "would you like some fellatio now?" me: "but of course... but ummm, wash your hands first, that was kinda gross"
    1 point
  29. make fliers. staple them to children,children run= free moving advertisement
    1 point
  30. that CH throw at the top makes me think more of Cake rather than Chan..Chan throw is cool though..ink blot is nice..painting with cars underneath..mines on the virgin wall..medicine show/?? Loot. (upside down 666 post)
    1 point
  31. extend the date, i want a piece of this.
    1 point
  32. just when theyre like what you in for you can be like stuntin on my moped nigggyyyy
    1 point
  33. I still have this complete set in it's original box. It's actually in good condition and was a gift to me in 1983. I love the style of the cover design.
    1 point
This Hall of Fame listing is set to New York/GMT-04:00