Zines

ana

So I'm starting a zine. I think that theres a few people on here who have zines or are involved with one. Any tips, tricks etc.. would be appreciated. Specifically color printing tips and computer programs that are good to use.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest ilikeskulls.

i've done a few zines...i tend to stick to black and white photocopied...but what kind of zine are doing?is it graff stuff or is it written stuff...not that it matters i guess just curious.

Guest Dr. Drew

my advice is to know someone who works at kinkos or some copy place. they can make all your issues free. they usually like hooking up zine people.

if its a music zine, you should borrow all of your friends' new music, and review the albums. that way you'll have a huge music review section. then send your zine to record labels and tell them that you want to review their music. they'll see that you review lots of music, then they'll send you free music to review for your next issue. its a good way to get tons of free music. i did two seperate zines before and got good results. it also helps when you make your zine look really professional. labels will be more likely to send you free music if it looks like you got your shit together. type out everything, right justify your margins....handwritten zines have a personal touch, but you couls make a personal touch using type too. its all in the layout. anyway, if you're not making a music zine, forget what i said...........

color's expensive... considerably more expensive than black and white...

get friendly with someone who werks at a copy shop... or find a good scam...

as for layout shit: i've done them by hand with an exacto and a glue stick, i've done them in illustrator, and i just did one in photoshop... other zine kids look down on me for doing em digitally, but truthfully i hate most zine kids, so who cares... doing them on the computer i was able to fit a ton more writing on each page... the one i just finished probably would have been 3 times as long if i'd done it by hand... plus i was able to fit and size them just right sos i could just put them in the tray to copy them...�instead of having to hand place each page on the glass... just ran em off tonight, it was rather refreshing...

but you should go for it... it's fun... and it can be a really good release...

It's a hip hop/graffiti/political zine.

I have searched "zines" on the web, just wanted to talk to people who I can ask specific questions.

There will be a large music content but I already have access to most new music I want and have no desire to talk to record labels. It's more a vanity/ nobody else is doing it project for my town than a get the hook up project.

I'm really leaning towards a cut + paste format-it seems more creative and less glitch likely as my total computer knowledge wouldn't fit on bee's bum. I just hope my roommates don't mind me taking over the living room.

As there will some graffiti, I need to get good color printing-what's the best and cheapest format?

As I live in a town with amazing amounts of trust, printing is already free. What's the best resolution ?(is that even the right word?)

Also scamming vs paying-I think I'm going to scam the first issue and see how much work it is and then check the payment option. Any experience with this?

Archived