Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Fist 666

So... has anyone else suddenly lost all free time due to this game? Holy shit.

Up until Saturday my newest gaming system was Nintendo 64 (though SNES and SEGA are my two mostly played systems.) Bought a Wii U because Switch was impossible to find. I'm in constant awe of how absolutely massive this universe is, how playable every bit of the game is, and the quality of game play is truly superb.

Though the transition from ABXY, LR, S/S, and arrows to this many buttons, joysticks, arrows, triggers, etc is somewhat difficult for my brain to grasp with any sense of ease.

Anyone else playing?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thought this was going to be a spam thread.

Fuck, I haven't really played video games in years... last thing I bought was Nintendo, although I did have a donated playstation for a while.

Shit got too damn expensive, I mean I got the Nintendo, game, and controllers at the time for like $99. These days you get the system and one controller with like a foot long cord for $400. Also thought it was lame when the games became so difficult or complicated that beating them necessitated buying other shit in order to get cheat codes or other secret shit.

I haven't played video games in awhile, but I always liked Zelda. Breath of the Wild looks pretty awesome. I was going to try to pick up a Wii U after the Switch came out, because I figured they'd drop in price. But haven't seen that happen. Where did you pick yours up from?

I kinda felt like I was making a spam thread, but wanted to see if anyone else here was into it.

To the value/expense argument: With inflation accounted for, most new systems are actually cheaper than the original NES.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/04/comparing-the-price-of-every-game-console-with-inflation

Controllers are wireless now, so cords aren't really a problem.

I will say one of my best investments for my OG systems was the 6' cord extensions (like 8 bucks/ea on ebay). Now I can sit comfortably on my couch and not kill my eyes with all those pixels at 3 ft from my face.

I agree that built in purchases are pretty lame, but from a business standpoint I understand why they exist.

The scale/difficulty I guess is subjective. Having played all the zelda games up through 64 to completion, this is indeed a massive jump in scale, but it very much fits the original story and feel of the NES versions. Same finding boots/swords/shields facet, just with very modern graphics and playability. The difficulty side comes into the scale as well, in a sensible manner. The more you explore and find, the better your weapons and armor will be, and the further you get into the world, the harder the bosses and bad guys become. The puzzles that made the zelda series so appealing to me are thoroughly developed throughout as well.

@RiSC I was hoping for a price drop, too, but I don't think that will happen until Switch is readily available. I paid $259 for a refurb from gamestop for the console. I grabbed zelda, mario maker, mario kart 8, a couple 5 dollar games, an extra pro controller and was all in at about $400.

• 2 weeks later...

i havent played but ive heard alot of good things about both the game and that new nintendo switch.. i gotta give it to them though the design of it is pretty dope.. especially how you can just pull it off its stand and walk out the crib still playing the game where you left off at and even play with friends in public like it aint shit.. i havent had a game system since the original xbox.. my buddy had a 360 and always left it at my crib so i guess you could say it was ours so to speak idk.. i have been thinkin about buying either a playstation or an xbox but im still stuck in between which one to grab.. not to mention xbox is still cookin up project scorpio or whatever (stupid name by the way) and im sure sony is in the works with something in order to compete with microsoft as usual.. so idk weather to wait it out for this next line of consoles or say fuck it and grab one..

• 1 month later...

I played this a lot when it first came out on Switch but I still haven't beat it. I haven't played in weeks but that's mainly because I built a gaming PC and have been messing around with what's available on that.

Zelda BoTW is really good. I just got to the point to where I was going to have grind to get enough hearts for the master sword and kinda lost interest. I will finish it at some point but I've been spending most of my video game time trying to get to Super Gold rank on Street Fighter 5. I'm like ~200 LP away.