Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

your parents

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ubejinxed, May 11, 2004.

1. ubejinxed

ubejinxed Veteran Member

so i spent a quality weekend with moms and i was thinking about how much our parents influence us and how much power they have to shape their kids lives, so a couple questions

1. what's your relationship like with your folks - has it changed
    2. are they divorced
    3. what are their primary occupations
    4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood

i just think it's interesting to see how someone's parents can influence them. please share anything else

i'll answer my own questions in a sec, after my stupid client meeting.

ok to answer

1. i used to hate both my parents and fought with them constantly about everything. they said white i said black etc... i was a bit of a hell child since they weren't particularly permissive. i could never relate to them in any way, and rarely saw my dad since he was working all the time. it's gotten better i understand them more, talk to my moms and am more open, but i still can't have a real conversation with my dad, nothing's ever good enough for him.

2. they got divorced last year, and have been separated for a while

3. my dad is a doctor, the 2nd class that had mexicans in the SFU medical program, full scholarships from high school on. ultra overachiever, like indescribable... all sorts of achievements... starting in a migrant worker family to a full ride doctor. he can to anything.

my mom's super smart too, magna cum laude n all that, she was a homemaker most of my childhood, doing cottage industry stuff, very creative, great mom but she recently got her master's and is working on her Phd. she did used to make my breakfast lunch and dinner in full effect every day.. that was the shit!!!

4. if you can probably guess since my dad was a doctor i had a comfortable life growing up. not ultra rich but not poor by any means.

moms, dad and sister
    [​IMG]

2. ASH.UGT

ASH.UGT Junior Member

My parents are still together now and i think we have a good relationship.
    Me and my dad used to go karting together and we both like engines. He's the manager for the Engineers at this firm.
    My mum is funny she is a Rep for Revlon we are quite close.
    I ve understood now that if we fall out or they punish me they are only trying to help.

3. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

Why not post their pictures too, if you've got them (i'm almost certainly going to be the only one that does this):

Dad & Sister:
    http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/Christmas/jimnaur.jpg'>

Mom:
    [img]http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/Christmas/momlady.jpg'>

[img]http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/GnomeToys/seizure.gif'>

1. Fine. It was rocky for awhile when I first came to college and became a terrible poly-drug abuser, but they're cool now.

2. In the process of divorce.

3. Mother - Artist
    Father - Union Laborer

4. We were poor most of the time when I was growing up but I could barely tell. We lived in Bumfuck, Indiana, pop 700. The only thing I dislike about my childhood was school.

4. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

-- My folks and I have always been very honest with each other. I guess it's a liberal upbringing but I never felt worried to tell them about what was goign on in my life. Some people feel that parents will never understand them, and some parents dont, but mine totally do and I'm lucky for it. I think it's just a matter of recognizing your parents as people instead of just as parents. They sacrificed a lot to raise us, and we need to understand that.

2. are they divorced

--Yes but it was totally civil. I never saw them fight, ever. I guess it was more just a 'falling out of love' and then having to relocate based on desires. My pops had to live in the big city and my mom didnt want to. I split my time with them but they always seemed very cool to each other. They still talk once in a while today. married for 12 years, seperated for 6, divorced for 15.

-- My mom is retired. She just kind of travels around doing eco work. Please keep all hippy comments to yourself. My mom doesnt smoke pot or burn insence. She's a botanist and a horticulturist... not a stinkin' hippy. Dad was a big film guy for some time, now he's looking for something new. Neither of them ever really did the standard blue/white collar type jobs.

-- I was very comfortable in the hood. It's possible to have a safe and secure home in a bad area or to have a hell house in plesantville. It's all about the family at that point. In fact, I used to be jealous of friends who had big houses in the burbs and huge TVs untill I noticed that the parents hardly ever talked to each other, the mom was getting super fat and the Dad was opting to spend later nights at work. Some lessons can be learned at an early age.

excuse any typos.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

1.mom-sucks
    dad-virtually non existant
    2.never married
    3.mom-none
    dad-works at a golf course
    4.shit childhood

6. EyeforAnEYE

EyeforAnEYE Elite Member

1. what's your relationship like with your folks
    I'm closer to my mom than my dad, I'm a mommas boy.

- has it changed - No not really I can tell my mom everything and anything. She let me get a tattoo at the age of 16, she even paid for half of it.

2. are they divorced - Nope, been married since the summer of '69

- My dad is a Postal Worker, and my Mom doesn't work

4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood - It was alright, I was born and raised in "The Dot" (I know that many people here won't know about "The Dot", but ubejinxed will know), coudln't leave my street, lot's of crazy shit going down when younger, lots of police chases, shootings and all the great stuff.

7. 8onus

8onus Banned

i got a good relationship with my dad he is my best friend. my mom too but not like with my dad.

divorced.
    my dad bailed when i was a little kidin order to keep me and my brother from starving, we had our ups and downs but besides the 1 year i refused to talk to him, we kept in contact, he was gone for about 6 years and came back into my life when i was a sophmore in high school, but then i got kicked out of high school and sent to a reform institution for 2 years. my mom raised be but she was an addict for about 3 years while my dad was gone. now both my parents live near me and its all good.

my dad works night shifts at some goverment thing. my mom recccently finished school and is now a landscape designer.

origionaly we lived in the hood. then they got mad lucky to find a house.
    we grew up in a half black and half spanish neighborhood being the few white people, it wasn't the ghetto, but it wasn't the burbs either, it was kinda ruff at times, most of my freinds from childhood including my self ended up going to jail a lot, cops didn't seem to like our area too much(it was acroos the street from a gang infested high school) but we came to love it.

8. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

I’m cool with my parents. We don’t talk much, but what’s there to talk about? The extent of my dad and I’s conversation will be the score of the game, and that the Blue Jays’ pitching sucks. I’ve always liked the fact that I never had to eat at the dinner table with them, because I know it would result in stupid questions and stupid answers.

When I was very young, my mom made sure that I could read better than someone ten years older than me. No doubt, at the age of six, I was sitting in the grade six English classes. They pushed me really hard in math, too. After school, my mom always had tons of math and English for me to do. Weekends, too.

I recall instances where I would get some of these extra, advanced math questions wrong, and my mom would press a metal spatula (that was sitting on a hot stove element) up against my skin to burn me. Whatever, though – the scars all healed up. I would get whipped a lot, too – but that is the only effective to keep a kid who talks back in check. They just made sure they pushed me hard. Not to sound like some prissy white kid, but it did kinda piss me off when I would show them my 96% mark for a test, and I got slapped up for not getting a hundred percent. Can’t blame them, though – they’re from India, where things work differently.

I sometimes find myself blaming them for my fucked up teenage years. I went from a straight ‘A’ student in the gifted program to a drop out that dropped acid on weeknights. Going to jail for graff was pretty bad, too. I shouldn’t blame them, though, that’s just stupid.

We get along alright now, though. I’m mostly pissed off about my dad taking my brother when he was a kid to Leafs and Jays games, and fishing, but never me. Haha, one time, that Phil Collins song “You’re No Son of Mine” was on the radio, and my dad turned it up really loud.

Key3, you should hit your mom up for some lights and other accessories, then go into ‘business’ with her. ;)

*edit – I talk too much.
    1. what's your relationship like with your folks - has it changed – yes, it’s changed
    2. are they divorced – no, never will be
    3. what are their primary occupations – mom is some sort of office worker at a big corporation, and my dad is a welder
    4. did you have a comfortable childhood or were you living in the hood – I’m told I never cried

9. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

looking back...

I was totally blessed by my parents.
    They wouldnt spoil me, and I was earing my own
    money by age 13 just because I knew the value of a dollar.
    But oh man... there were some perks!

I'm not even going to get into it because the haters will line up.

10. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I tried that once.
    She had a punch of grow lights in the basement
    and she went on a month wacation so I was on my own.
    I think I was like 17 or 18 so I figured why not grow some herbs?

Nothing sprouted because I'm not much of a green thumb,
    and she changed all the soil immediately. No mention of my seeds.

She could outsmart me most days.

11. Gunm

Gunm Banned

2. are they divorced

1. I get along great with my mom. She's a successful artist and smokes with me and "marianne". She gives me all the support and advice I could ask for. She supports graffiti and likes it when i bring over flicks to show her.
    My dad is more conservative and buisnesslike which basically says it all for our encounters. Dad still wishes I had played sports in high school and that i had made a career out of the military. He hates graffiti and thinks marijuanna is for "communist liberals".

2. Yes for very obvious reasons (compare their profiles above) They divorced when i was sixteen. No biggie i survived.

3. My mom is a professional artist making around 15-20 grand on her paintings. The yuppies in my hometown and surrounding areas love her stuff. She rents out our old house to the owner of a well known skate company.
    My dad is a retired firefighter and enjoys a fat pension

4. i had a very comfortable childhood but not to the point where i was shocked and appalled by the outside world once I left home. My mom had a few art studios over time that were in the east bay so i had plenty of exposure to graffiti and black people at an early age.

12. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

BECAUSE IF YOU DIDN’T HAVE THAT EXPOSURE TO BLACK PEOPLE EARLY ON, WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED??? THEY MIGHT HAVE ROBBED AND RAPED YOU!

13. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

its great now. it has always been on the better side of things but things have definatley changed over time. as i have gotten older and moved across the country we've seem to have gotten a lot closer.

2. are they divorced

nope, happily married after 40 years

pops-engineer
    moms-social worker

i had a comfortable childhood, nothing lavish though.

14. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

two subjects that i am very touchy with and this is one of them. :(

15. sneak

sneak Guest

2. are they divorced

1)ive always been the "odd" child out of me and 2 brothers, and that hasnt changed at all. Im very independant when it comes to parents, and i think mainly because of this i dont have the relationship i dont. its very rocky with my mum at times (you may remember a few of my moaning threads :eek: ). plus, what makes it difficult is that im completely opposite to my mum in all respects. im ok, usually, with my dad. i thinks he's losing it a bit in his mid life times, but we get along ok.

2) still together.

3) Dad = senior editor for a bunch of magazines based around the advertising / marketing business. i think i get my intrest in media from him.
    Mum = works part time for the CAB (Citizens advice beauro) giving advice on all sorts of shit to do with benefits / councils / problems etc. sht is a trained marriage counsellor, had taught english in a university in Bordeaux and also worked for Lufthansa Airways.

4) im still technically in my childhood, and yeh it has been comfortable. that doesnt mean i dont know the value of money or anything like that. ive worked for extra cash since i stole my older brothers paper round at age 10. we live in the outer boroughs of london, not the inner city, but not the suburbs either.