YOU ARE ALREADY BRAINWASHED

One Man Banned

Getting ready to watch some fights and drink some burr when this story caught my eye and thought I would share:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-belgium-warning-citizens-facebook-emojis-153547092.html

Not enough time to explain some of the simple concepts of social psychology or the psychology of marketing, but this shit actually does matter, all the info that you give away knowingly and unknowlingly to multiple companies who will use that to persuade you, often successfully, to buy shit you don't want or need. The simple methods to the madness of advertising, like why are some ads so stupid, annoying, revolting, etc.

Read a decent book on this written by a marketer some time ago called Brandwashed, worth checking out.

Either way, guard your personal info as best you can, get rid of all of those drug store/supermarket scan tags on your key ring, etc., etc.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
For whatever reason i feel oblivious to ads. They don't really do wnything, even if I'm hungry and i see food on a billboard i get all skeptical and think its gonna taste like shit

It's a tough game to win as advertisers have so many ways to get you. I think some would prefer that you be so bombarded with ads that you do feel oblivious to them, kind of drops your defenses a little and allows them in more. On the other hand, when you're more conscious and resisting a particular ad it is helping to cement that ad in your mind, which is part of their goal. This moght not make much difference short term, but see what you pick later on when faced with a choice. Many people will go for what's familiar or what they already know.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The guy who wrote the book I mentioned wrote that even with being fully aware of marketing tricks having worked in the industry himself, he still falls victim to it sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Semi-related, if you check the members online there is a section listed for "robots." I didn't fully understand this concept so I checked it out recently. All these different websites like Google send out these "spiders" that "web crawl." On 12oz they go through all the threads and run the posts through algorithms that help them determine what/how to advertise to people. This is a dangerous science as it picks up on things that the majority of people are unaware of and uses this info to (often successfully) persuade people to buy things, sometimes things you don't want or need at the moment.

The only amusing thing to me is that you can see them looking at dead threads from many years past that may not even be currently relevant, plus 12oz contains a lot of bizarre shit, mispellings, play on words graf names, etc., that it probably throws things off slightly. Still, I bet those spiders still get some useful info.

Semi-related, if you check the members online there is a section listed for "robots." I didn't fully understand this concept so I checked it out recently. All these different websites like Google send out these "spiders" that "web crawl." On 12oz they go through all the threads and run the posts through algorithms that help them determine what/how to advertise to people. This is a dangerous science as it picks up on things that the majority of people are unaware of and uses this info to (often successfully) persuade people to buy things, sometimes things you don't want or need at the moment.

The only amusing thing to me is that you can see them looking at dead threads from many years past that may not even be currently relevant, plus 12oz contains a lot of bizarre shit, mispellings, play on words graf names, etc., that it probably throws things off slightly. Still, I bet those spiders still get some useful info.

Yeah, those spiders are used for a lot of things. Some aren't so bad (i.e., indexing content for search engines), while others are used by advertisers, and some used to scan for security vulnerabilities to exploit.

Beyond that, it's tracking cookies and scripts that gets kind of crazy. I'd encourage you to use browser extensions like Privacy Badger and/or Ghostery to at least prevent some of that. One example why, every time you visit a site with a Facebook "Like" button embedded somewhere on the page, Facebook could potentially use that to track your behavior. And it can tie that to your Facebook account, and put together a nice profile of your habits to sell to advertisers.

Strange times.

• 1 year later...