Yasser Arafat

heavyLox

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that really pissed me off about Arafat was that he helped engineer the "permanent refugee status" of the Palestinians in various Middle Eastern countries. So for well over fifty years, the Palestinian people have remained in these squalid camps, which became breeding grounds for the most despicable sorts of hatred and terrorism, rather than declaring a cease fire and beginning to build normal lives. The West Bank could have easily become a Palestinian homeland, if Arafat and his fanatical minions had just been willing to live in peace.

But, long story short, they were not willing to accept the facts on the ground. The relentless terror attacks against Israel have just pushed the Israelis father and farther into a militaristic defense posture that guarantees things like armored gun towers with permenant sniper positions, electrified fences, concrete barrier walls to prevent infiltration, continuous occupation patrols by the IDF, rubber bullet fusillades, bulldozing houses used by terrorists, etc., etc.

I can understand why each side despises the other, after fifty years of killings, bombings, attacks and counter-attacks.

Maybe with Arafat gone, the peace process can get going again.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Nov 11 2004, 02:29 AM

The thing that really pissed me off about Arafat was that he helped engineer the "permanent refugee status" of the Palestinians in various Middle Eastern countries. So for well over fifty years, the Palestinian people have remained in these squalid camps, which became breeding grounds for the most despicable sorts of hatred and terrorism, rather than declaring a cease fire and beginning to build normal lives. The West Bank could have easily become a Palestinian homeland, if Arafat and his fanatical minions had just been willing to live in peace.

But, long story short, they were not willing to accept the facts on the ground. The relentless terror attacks against Israel have just pushed the Israelis father and farther into a militaristic defense posture that guarantees things like armored gun towers with permenant sniper positions, electrified fences, concrete barrier walls to prevent infiltration, continuous occupation patrols by the IDF, rubber bullet fusillades, bulldozing houses used by terrorists, etc., etc.

I can understand why each side despises the other, after fifty years of killings, bombings, attacks and counter-attacks.

Maybe with Arafat gone, the peace process can get going again.

RIP

Rahman Abdel-Raouf Arafat Al-Qudwa

AKA

Yaser Arafat

1929-2004 :sadcrying:

and since when has israel been about peace?? is my question?

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Nekro@Nov 10 2004, 11:30 PM

Fuck him, maybe we can get somewhere with this shit now.

Who exactly do you refer to as WE?.....

RIP arafat

Funny how Arafat USED to be considered a freedom fighter by us and an ally. Things were relatively okay, there were still problems with an encroaching Isreali people upon the Palestinians, but since Sharon (a well known extremist) took office and legalized previously illegal settlements upon Palestinian land, all hell has broken loose. Is it a coincidence that Sharon took power around the same time that Bush did? Probably not.

This is pretty much what has really been going on.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/mapstellstory.html

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Like I said before, no love for Arafat. Now Sharon needs to kick the bucket as well. THEN we might see some progress.

ClueTwo

I heard some sope in my office talking about Arafat's wife and how she can't get the bajillions of dollars he has willowed away in his plentiful years...Anyone else hear this?

ye,its what the story is about,she was living in europe for 4 years now,spending money in shoppin,and she haven't seen him for a while.

Originally posted by Tesseract+Nov 11 2004, 09:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract - Nov 11 2004, 09:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Nekro@Nov 10 2004, 11:30 PM

RIP arafat

[/b]

WE are people who want a peaceful solution to the conflict over there. I used it in the same context mams did, as a refrence to peole who want this whole bullshit scenario to be over.

Guest imported_b0b

I am not 100% on all the facts, but am informed at the Isreali/Palestinian situation and I thought Yasser did an ok job. RIP to him

arafat was not standing in the way of peace. arafat was futilly trying to control a group of people who would rather kill (and die) than live in proverbial cages. he wasn't perfect, but that situation is so jacked, that if he was an angel, he'd be useless. neither gandhi or ghengis khan could have been as effective as he was (no matter how ineffective that was at times).

peace will happen when israel gets put in check.

"I have come bearing an olive branch and a freedom fighter's gun. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand."

-- Arafat, addressing the United Nations on November 13, 1974

"The peace process has begun. And the peace train must reach the terminal because the forces for peace in the world will not allow the hands of the clock to be turned back to the times of calamity."

-- Arafat, before an Oxford University audience in 1996

"The daily Israeli aggression is offensive to our people, our villages, our refugee camps and holy sites which belong to Muslims and Christians. Our duty today, the duty of all of us is to continue the work that I started with my late partner Yitzhak Rabin, to protect the peace of the brave and to continue and complete that work."

-- Arafat addressing his followers in September 2003, on the tenth anniversary of the Oslo Accords

Guest Catch22

The Palestinians should've kicked Arafat out long time ago. He is the main reason the palestinians live in the conditions they do. According to the International Monetary Fund, Arafat has diverted $900 million in Palestinian aid to a private bank accounts. No wonder he didn't want peace. As long as the Palestinians were being oppresed then he could steal all the money sent to help them.

Here's some more references:

● Times of London: 'Arafat's policy of divide and rule has not only neutralized Palestinian rivals but stymied any political and economic progress.... Mr Arafat's cynicism has now run its course, and stoked the present conflict.'

● MSNBC: 'The walls are closing in on Yassir Arafat...never before have so many disparate groups of Palestinians, including those from Arafat's own Fatah movement, formed such a united front on such a clearly definable issue - end corruption or else.'

● Arab Times (Kuwait): 'Mr Arafat should quit his position because he is the head of a corrupt authority. There is no point for him to remain in politics... He has destroyed Palestine. He has led it to terrorism, death and a hopeless situation... All Arab leaders know this fact. It won't be possible for us to gain from the Middle East road map for peace if this man remains in power.

● BBC quoted a Jenin Martyrs' Brigade spokesman: 'With all due respect to President Arafat, the Palestinian Authority cannot continue being monopolised by [Arafat] and his relatives...we have our own ways to show our rejection.

● Al-Quds Al-Araby (London): 'What is happening in Gaza is a healthy phenomenon because it is a revolution against corruption and the corrupt... This is a warning not only to Mr Arafat... but to all Arab regimes which subjugate their people by turning a deaf ear to their calls for comprehensive change.

● Pravda: Under the headline, 'Nobody trusts Arafat any more,' stated that 'Everything Yasser Arafat has been doing can be described as an illusion of reforms.

Icould post more but you all get the point. :evil2:

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Nekro+Nov 11 2004, 10:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nekro - Nov 11 2004, 10:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Tesseract@Nov 11 2004, 09:38 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Nekro@Nov 10 2004, 11:30 PM

RIP arafat

WE are people who want a peaceful solution to the conflict over there. I used it in the same context mams did, as a refrence to peole who want this whole bullshit scenario to be over.

[/b]

Word, in that context, WE had no problems with Arafat or atleast WE had and still have bigger problems with Sharon. Its easy to sit back and discredit whoever you want from your computer but its atleast ignorant not to realise just how much it takes to be Arafat in Arafat's shoes for so many years. This is not a personal attack to you Nekro but i get pissed when all shit goes in the same bucket. We want peace in the middle east? WE want israel to back the fuck off. Its that simple.

rational people were negotiating....then the israelis assasinated their guy and elected a war criminal.

arafat very well have been corrupt but to blame him for the current plight of the palestinians is like blaming bill clinton for the increase in oral sex amongst high schoolers.

shit was going on before and it will be going on after.

Archived