WWII was bananas

seeking

more history channel....

WW2 was fucking crazy.... war is crazy.

its odd, but there is part of me that wishes i had to fight in a war.

problem is, it would have to be a cause i believed in.

i need to move somewhere that i like alot fight beside people i trust in.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was watching some ww2 stuff on tv recently and all i kept thinking about was the similarty between the germans then and us now. it seems like so many people in the u.s. feel like they're being short changed somehow--like they deserve more than they have and it's somebody else's fault besides their own. black people think whitey keeps them down, white people think they're getting screwed by shit like affirmitive action, or too many mexicans coming over the border. so all the government is doing is finding a scapegoat that everybody can blame. if we can get enough people to hate the muslims, then they'll all forget how much they hated each other. everybody throws a fucking united we stand sticker on their car and as long as we're working together to exterminate a race, everything is gonna be fine. world war 2 was some crazy shit, but think about what would happen now with all the new weapons people have thought up since then.

I took a class on WWII last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, if Hitler hadnt turned away from Moscow (thereby taking Russia) he likely would have won the war. It was his hatred of Jews that ruined him in the end, instead of going to Moscow he sent his troops down to Kiev (where some 150,000 jews, if i remember correctly, were machine gunned by the S.S. into a mass grave called Babi Yar.) When his troops went back to Moscow, it was winter, and they had summer uniforms, so they were fucked.

Also, I think the German-occupied Russian aspects of the Holocaust tend to get overlooked. Again, from my understanding of the Holocaust, if you were Jewish the worst place to be during WWII was in Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, or German-occupied Russia. Jews weren't sent to camps or ghettos here, the Germans just sent in Einsatzgruppen (S.S. death squads) who came through and killed all the Jews, burying them in mass graves such as Babi Yar.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, and if anyone cares I can try to remember some more stuff.

Guest SMUGGLER RSH

WW2 is very interesting. I have always been fascinated by it and read as much and listened to my grandfather who fought for the Australian army as much as possible which was hard as he did not like talking about it. Some of the things that happened surely shook peoples minds. Sadly he passed away a year ago, but he left me al his army gear he still had which included his medals, bayonette, pictures and his and his fathers [who fought in WW1] diaries. I think that alot of the atrocities that happened paved a way for a new start for alot of countries to not so much as have peace but get along alot better.

I am always wondering whether there will be a WW3 but it is most likely not going to happen unless world food and water supplies go to the shit house.

On a side note....I am in Japan and they don`t even teach about WW2 and if they do it is about the Germans and other assorted countries but never Japan. The older generation still have a huge control over the country. It is sad because the Japanese younger generation don`t have a clue what happens outside there own country or even much about 1900 to 1960 or so....And if they have any knowledge after 1960 it is minamul and only what the older generation want to tell them.

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by Xeroshoes

I took a class on WWII last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, if Hitler hadnt turned away from Moscow (thereby taking Russia) he likely would have won the war. It was his hatred of Jews that ruined him in the end, instead of going to Moscow he sent his troops down to Kiev (where some 150,000 jews, if i remember correctly, were machine gunned by the S.S. into a mass grave called Babi Yar.) When his troops went back to Moscow, it was winter, and they had summer uniforms, so they were fucked.

also the fact that the russians had so much fucking manpower

i kno alot about wwII....i used to study that shit alot when i was younger...im surprised pot hasnt deleted my memory though

It was his hatred of Jews that ruined him in the end....

my understanding of the Holocaust, if you were Jewish the worst place to be during WWII was in Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, or German-occupied Russia. Jews weren't sent to camps or ghettos here, the Germans just sent in Einsatzgruppen (S.S. death squads) who came through and killed all the Jews, burying them in mass graves such as Babi Yar.

haha, it was his hatred of jews that made him as well.

personaly, id rather have someone come through and kill me and my whole family where we slept, than box us up, ship us to some concentration camp, feed us sawdust for 6 months while we clear forests and break rocks, then gas us to death.

my grandfather fought in the war also. actually, i think 'fought' might be a bit of an overstatement. he was in guam and he worked in an office ordering building supplies.

i dont know... its just crazy because WW2 was actually a 'just' war, ya know... it was one that HAD to be fought. it wasnt for any alterior motive, and even if it somehow was, it was still a noble cause. i would die to save lives... infact, i would almost be honored to do so... problem is that we will likely never have that chance. not for our government anyway. not in my opinion...

i dont know. im tired.

nirvana is really good good.

Moe, that's what I'm saying, if he hadn't turned from Moscow, he would have taken Russia, and wouldnt really have had to fight the two front war that beat him.

Originally posted by seeking

personaly, id rather have someone come through and kill me and my whole family where we slept, than box us up, ship us to some concentration camp, feed us sawdust for 6 months while we clear forests and break rocks, then gas us to death.

That's true, but as far as living through I think your chances were better if you were sent to a ghetto or camp, there were more cracks to slip through, though you might argue it's better to die quickly than be subjected to ghettos and concentration camps and live.

fuck, I wish I could drop something now, but the pot has temporarily deleted my memory now. I went through a few books regarding WWII last year, but haven't done much reading or watching on tv on the subject in recent past. I do, however have a book somewhere in the house that my buddy grabbed from his library for me. It is on the myths of Nazi Propagana. Real thick book, but it should definately be worth a look. RIP to all those that sacrificed for us. Go buy a poppy (or several) as soon as possible. Actually, do the states even have those artificial poppies to put on for Remembrance Day?

That's true, but as far as living through I think your chances were better if you were sent to a ghetto or camp, there were more cracks to slip through, though you might argue it's better to die quickly than be subjected to ghettos and concentration camps and live.

much respect for the survivors of the camps. When I went to Dachau, my brain was forever imprinted with the shocking things i saw at the concentration camp turned museum. I've aso heard of some real horror stories those people had to endure.

my grandpa was supposed to fight in WWII. he was going out on some boats, but the train he was catching down to the harbour was late, so he missed them.

SO

the crazy thing is that all of these boats got sinked, and all of the crew died. so if he'd gone on those boats, i wouldnt be typing this.

this was also before he met my grandma, so my mother wouldnt be here either...

it seems to me that the americans dont quite see the full efects of what happened seeing as they are all the way over there. europe was fucked over badly.....in my opinion it was shizzit

Guest imported_Tesseract

As i said before, Europe claims his name inch by inch, well said bro.

Seeking, i see your point. However i think that speaking from a safety distnance, geographically and historically, makes you sound somehow silly. The substitute for lack of ideals and trust is not going to war. And btw, 'Noble' is just beacause its all in the past...ww2, like any war, was dirty as fuck. The russians had the heaviest casualties to save their country and did the bigest move to break hitler. After the war was over Chaurchill proposed to the US to hit russians right then, while everything was ready and yet calm, to get rid of the commies....thank god the US president said no....noble my ass.

Originally posted by garcia_vega

i was watching some ww2 stuff on tv recently and all i kept thinking about was the similarty between the germans then and us now. it seems like so many people in the u.s. feel like they're being short changed somehow--like they deserve more than they have and it's somebody else's fault besides their own. black people think whitey keeps them down, white people think they're getting screwed by shit like affirmitive action, or too many mexicans coming over the border. so all the government is doing is finding a scapegoat that everybody can blame. if we can get enough people to hate the muslims, then they'll all forget how much they hated each other. everybody throws a fucking united we stand sticker on their car and as long as we're working together to exterminate a race, everything is gonna be fine. world war 2 was some crazy shit, but think about what would happen now with all the new weapons people have thought up since then.

so true.

first off, by naming the thread as i did, clearly i wasnt trying to make some sort of intelligent stance on the war, meerly pointing out that it was a crazy thing, and yes tesser, i know we as americans are far removed, hence my suprise at how crazy things were after watching history channel.

i dont care how 'dirty' the war was. i would go to war to save millions of people any day of the week, if i honestly believed that without my/our intervention, they would not survive. millions of jews, italians, russians, gypsy's, cripples, gay's, etc were being murdered. backroom politics or not, thats not ok.

i guess what it comes down to, is that i just dont really care about my own life all that much or something.... i would rather die doing something to help 'humanity' no matter how insignifigant my role, than to live doing nothing for anyone but myself.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Firstly i think Italians were on Hitlers side, with Mousolini as their facist leader but anyway, If your whole point is your last sentence i dont see why all the rest exists...its like an attention call, to make people mad. I dont take that rant that seriously but some issues are just not to be talked about lightly, your grandpa fought and lived and someone elses died...if you wish for the worse to bring up your best and give meaning to your existance you just underestimate life, yours as well as others.

Guest imported_Tesseract

you know damn well the point i was making, both of you...

Pick one

1) its odd, but there is part of me that wishes i had to fight in a war.

problem is, it would have to be a cause i believed in.

i need to move somewhere that i like alot fight beside people i trust in.

2) i dont know... its just crazy because WW2 was actually a 'just' war, ya know... it was one that HAD to be fought. it wasnt for any alterior motive, and even if it somehow was, it was still a noble cause. i would die to save lives... infact, i would almost be honored to do so... problem is that we will likely never have that chance. not for our government anyway. not in my opinion...

3) i dont care how 'dirty' the war was. i would go to war to save millions of people any day of the week, if i honestly believed that without my/our intervention, they would not survive. millions of jews, russians, gypsy's, cripples, gay's, etc were being murdered. backroom politics or not, thats not ok.

i guess what it comes down to, is that i just dont really care about my own life all that much or something.... i would rather die doing something to help 'humanity' no matter how insignifigant my role, than to live doing nothing for anyone but myself.

If i read the point correctly it sums up to this i would rather die doing something to help 'humanity' no matter how insignifigant my role, than to live doing nothing for anyone but myself and my answer is still this: if you wish for the worse to bring up your best and give meaning to your existance you just underestimate life, yours as well as others.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I dont know if 'underestimate' is the best pick but i'm sure you get the point. And no, its not a crime. I wish you had something worth living and fighting for to. No matter the scale, that makes things more dramatical and heroic, ideals are applied in everyday life as well.

Archived