1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Writing Masters Thesis/Dissertation

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by metallix, Oct 28, 2004.

1. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

Writing Masters Thesis/Dissertation

Discussion started by metallix - Oct 28, 2004

Who here has written a masters dissertation? What is the approximate time required to complete a 15,000 word project? What is the structure of such a project?
    What do I incorporate to make a successfull project? How long should I expect to put into writing this?

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> 12oz Veteran Member

<KEY3> - Replied Oct 28, 2004

damn... some people spend years researching, writing and defending their thesis.

12oz is probably the last place to ask...
    we only write on word at a time and embellish it with arrows and stars.

<KEY3> - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. porque

porque 12oz Senior Member

porque - Replied Oct 28, 2004

...don't you have an advisor or somebody you can talk to?...but out of curiosity, what's your topic?...

porque - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. slave_one

slave_one 12oz Elite Member

slave_one - Replied Oct 28, 2004

i'm pretty sure fatbastard can help you when he logs on.

slave_one - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Oct 28, 2004

A good way to fill up a 15,000 word thesis/dissertation is to constantly use the following words in your sentances: "like, uh, um, stuff, interesting, cool, you know".

Um, like, you know? Or something....

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

DripOfAWish - Replied Oct 28, 2004

Mine was only 25 pages but it was packed with solid data. What type of thesis are you doing? Mine was scientific, which basically followed the traditional format of introduction, methods, results, then discussion. i guess a different approach is needed if you're doing some humanities thesis.

My job as an undergrad was to research data for my professors lectures, and i learned really fast how to get resources for writing a solid paper: google.
    just enter the topic as search criteria, but make sure you include phrases that are specific to researcheres in the field, basically words that only experts would know and use in journals. this got me linked to abstracts of many published papers on the subject, the types of journals that you need to cite. the journals were all in my campus library, and i could order the books from the library online, and i would just go to the desk of the library and photocopy all the papers. it also helped that my department had a copy machine key card.
    but honestly, i was thinking that i would have had no idea how to approach doing a thesis a decade earlier, before the boom of the internet.

DripOfAWish - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. GucciCondom

GucciCondom 12oz Veteran Member

GucciCondom - Replied Oct 28, 2004

15k words sounds like a lot, but its really not that much.
    Incorporate long ways of saying things, big words, pretty much stretch everything out the most that you can. Depending on your writing skills, how much info you know without having to look anything up, and how well you can put your shit together, it shouldn't really take an amazing amount of time. I would
    estimate how long you have to do it, and break the work up over a series of days where you will just dedicate your whole day to working on it.

Basically the format of it should be

Blank leaf (unnumbered)

*Title Page (unnumbered but counted as as page i)

Preliminary Pages: (Paginate all subsequent preliminary pages using Roman numerals beginning with ii,iii etc.)

*Approval Page

*Abstract lower case

Preface or Forward (if any)

Dedication (if any)

Acknowledgement (if any)

Table of Contents (if any)

List of Tables (if any)

Lists of other types of materials: (photographs, figures, etc.)

Body of Text (Paginate body of text using Arabic numerals beginning with 1)

List of References

Appendices (if any)

*Copyright Statement (unnumbered)

For more info check http://academic-standards-unit.cant.ac.uk/...ght-masters.doc

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=116306

GucciCondom - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  8. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

i don't know whats up with all these people telling you to add a bunch of useless words. when i would catch myself doing that, i would always just tell myself "you can't fake the funk", it was a silly limerick, but it kept me on track. it's true, your advisor will just tell you to trim the bullshit. if you use 25 words to say something that can be said with only ten words, you will just make yourself look stupid, like you're not even in league with being a master's candidate.

if you wanna add bulk to your paper, think of different angles that you could use to look at your subject. how have other people analyzed similar observations? what makes your observations more accurate? what are other effects and related outcomes or influences that have occurred due to your subject?

this is the only way to bulk up the thesis.

9. <KEY3>

<KEY3> 12oz Veteran Member

<KEY3> - Replied Oct 28, 2004

^ that man knows how it is.

Follow his advise or be prepared to have people
    much smarter than you and much more well versed
    in the subject matter call bullshit on every single point you make.

<KEY3> - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. GucciCondom

GucciCondom - Replied Oct 28, 2004

Yeah listen to these dudes I guess..I was just trying to add some info since nobody else really did.

11. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

metallix - Replied Oct 28, 2004

wow excellent info. its totally a humanities paper.

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  12. DripOfAWish

DripOfAWish 12oz Member

good luck. remember you have to get it past your advisor, then a commitee that you will defend it against. during your defense you may have a large group asking you questions, and you're gonna wanna know how to not only answer their questions, but also prove that you're already considered their question, and that you have an even better angle that they haven't even thought.

start your thesis by getting and reading other theses relative to your subject, and follow or improve upon their structure. make a basic outline to get an idea, and then a more-detailed outline for the meat and potatoes...

funny, i had so much stress doing it, but right now i kinda miss it.

13. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

iloveboxcars - Replied Oct 28, 2004

:haha:

iloveboxcars - Rank: 12oz Royalty - Messages:
  14. Tough Love

Tough Love 12oz Senior Member

Tough Love - Replied Oct 29, 2004

you dont wanna add useless words and make things longer. what u gotta do is go into a lot of details, explain defenitions and so on. the key is being concise but also getting lots of details and knowledge across, along with your idea. thats how i figure it would work...not just for a thesis but anything really....im assuming theyll worry more about ur info and ideas rather than ur writing style ( making sentences long by using big words etc...)

Tough Love - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. GucciCondom

GucciCondom - Replied Oct 29, 2004

Well their not going to punish you for using illmatic vocabulary.