writers views on the art they love..

pugsly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks appealing to us more than to people who are not into it understanably.. attention in some way or another is a motive for every writer just like every athlete or singer it is a PART of the motive.. from certain people.. it looks phat.. rebelious attraction to it etc..

I do it for a rush, the fame, the awe i get from toys and the respect i get from people that are wayyyyy better than me.

I dunno, I do it because it's a way to get away from all the sanctioned activities reserved for fun where i live. I don't wanna party with Greek fraternity assholes. I don't wanna drink at a sports bar while i get jostled by meathead dickwads cheering on their sports team. I don't wanna strut at some meat market of a club.

I want to be free and out there painting and being away from a social scene that has little or no need for a person like me. it makes me happy. it makes me feel good. It's a breath of fresh air being able to participate in something not too many people are into. It's an outlet of adventure. it's a chance to bleed off stress and bullshit.

nothin makes me smile like driving by a nice clean wall one day, then driving by the enxt day and seeing a good layer of paint or ink upon it. i like exploring weird tunnels and bridges and highways and railroad tracks and finding writing and markings of man in the most obscure and unlikely places. but really to me it's all about reaction. i like hearin people say "hey have you ever seen that such and such face painted under the bridge on such street" or whatever, whether it's my own work or not. i could care less for fame to my real self, but ilike the thought that some character i manifestd is gettin some attention.

i DID say i like some attention, just not random kids walking up hey did you do such and such are you a graffiti artist yadda yadda. i'm like nah wrong dude sorry. i don't like being labeled as ths and that i jsut do my own thing and fame makes people label you and shit, but i wouldn't mind my writing being famous, but it's prolly a lot more interesting than i am... if it's interesting the elast bit yeaaaah end of ramble

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Oct 18 2004, 10:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Oct 18 2004, 10:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Old Growth@Oct 17 2004, 05:48 PM

I just like painting. It's that simple.

yep, that's about the size of it. fuck the politics and fuck the psychology. this is what it's all about

[/b]

You can't put it any better than both these statements.

Originally posted by pugsly@Oct 19 2004, 01:51 PM

so not one of you guy's have a view on part of graf that they hate,or you think it gives us a bad name? :huh2:

I hate the petty highschool politics that come along with the "graff scene" within the apst 5-6 years.

It's sad.

Oh shit he put up WHO, kinda shit.

Nahmean?

I dont think this gives us a bad name, doing what we like to do, America's dream.

i dont even understand half the politics of graffiti.

"do not side bust" for instance... bitch, fuck you.. you arent gods gift to graffiti i wanted the panel next to you, it had nothing to do with your mark ass.

im sure there are others. i hate talking about graffiti though.

and im always thinking these threads are started by someone who wants to start a psychological profile on graffiti artists.

if this is the case (you dont have to argue that it isn't) we are all different. different backgrounds different beliefs different everything.

actually, i remember once me and one of my painting buddies were walking to the yard and we walked passed two joggers. my partner, being the .. i guess idiot is a good word, that he is, asked the guys what they thought about graffiti the jogger said "i think its dumb and people who do it do not know how to think for themselves." i personally thought this was ironic. i mean, the same thing could be said for him being against graffiti.

im alittle tipsy right now.

Writing for me, is more of an escape than anything. It's what I love to do and it's what keeps me motivated to get up and get out and appreciate what this world has rather than all the stress it can bring me. Someone said something about driving by a nice piece and just feeling good and, I totally feel that. It's like a common interest type thing, I walk by a nice wall and I just feel like I've got a whole family enjoying what I enjoy. In short, for your paper I'll say I write because of the release it gives me from stress, and because it's just what I enjoy doing.

Graffiti is vandalism, because graffiti is writing a made up name on private property and causing thousands of dollars of damage. Graffiti is all about getting up, it should be about expression and art not fame. If vandals paint about something meaningful instead of scribbling your name with a marker.

Using your marker to do a mad wild hand style is not art its graffiti. Graffiti is vandalism, Graffiti is the mischief art. Etching is graffiti but its costs a shitload so if your going to etch, etch some big fuckin billion dollar company other then a small local shop, unless the owner is a prick then etch the fuck out of his windows. People that say they are about the Art should not be tagging shit, its not art tagging is all about getting up. Same with etching.

The only graffiti there should be is pieces, murals, and throw ups. Everyone says they are in it for painting, or for the art, its all bullshit. Everyone who uses a marker is about getting up. Who are you impressing by scribbling or etch your name on windows. The only way to get up is to paint in the hardest places with the freshest styles.

No one should be painting over other pieces unless there is beef, and a shitload at that. Even if there is beef dont't do a shitty piss ant tag over a massive piece. What JA and Foe did to the Saber roller on the L.A river is sickening. If your going to cover somehing like that you've got to do a roller or a big ass piece to cover it. Every writer should respect writers even if theres beef, writers respect.

Graffiti is vandalism, because graffiti is writing a made up name on private property and causing thousands of dollars of damage. Graffiti is all about getting up, it should be about expression and art not fame. If vandals paint about something meaningful instead of scribbling your name with a marker.

so, you dont tag at all then? and this means that you arent allowed to paint your name at all either because that is "not meaningful". what is meaningful and who is to decide?

Using your marker to do a mad wild hand style is not art its graffiti. Graffiti is vandalism, Graffiti is the mischief art. Etching is graffiti but its costs a shitload so if your going to etch, etch some big fuckin billion dollar company other then a small local shop, unless the owner is a prick then etch the fuck out of his windows. People that say they are about the Art should not be tagging shit, its not art tagging is all about getting up. Same with etching.

dont even bring up etch man, that shit should never be used.

Most if not all "fuckin billion dollar companies" are franchised out so its the same as hitting the small mum and pop store down the road anyway

The only graffiti there should be is pieces, murals, and throw ups. Everyone says they are in it for painting, or for the art, its all bullshit. Everyone who uses a marker is about getting up. Who are you impressing by scribbling or etch your name on windows. The only way to get up is to paint in the hardest places with the freshest styles.

so quantity has nothing to do with getting up? i thought that the whole point of getting up is to immerse an area with your tag/throwie/piece, which yeah fresh styles will get you noticed, but if you hit easy spots AS WELL AS the hard spots, i think that would get you up more.

Dude, shut up. That is the biggest load of pompus bullshit i have heard in a long time

Originally posted by junior@Oct 22 2004, 10:06 AM

first of all, how is writing your name all big and gay and colorful any more "meaningful" than tagging it with a black marker?

this is just stupid. there is no rule book, do whatever you fucking want

this is just dumb. you obviously haven't been writing very long

No one should be painting over other pieces unless there is beef, and a shitload at that. Even if there is beef dont't do a shitty piss ant tag over a massive piece. What JA and Foe did to the Saber roller on the L.A river is sickening. If your going to cover somehing like that you've got to do a roller or a big ass piece to cover it. Every writer should respect writers even if theres beef, writers respect.

you're an idiot

i like lots of griffiti...i just dont like it wen its on small businesses cuz they hav elittle money anyways..but i like it on big business buildings cuz they have lot so of money ......i hate seeing the griffiti saying stuff about cops cuz its just a lack of class .....i dotn ike griffit that has stupid mean messages............but other than that i love griffiti

i love the ironic fact that right after dude said he hates the petty highschool politics of graffiti, a big graffiti etiquite debate starts. hey, writers, do what the fuck you want. if you write over someones peace, "good" reason or not, keep in mind there might be repercussions, or there might not be. same goes to hitting up a blank spot, you might get popped or shot or whatever. it's a free fucking world, one person doing something illegal can't say shit if somneone else does something illegal on top. if you do a legal piece and someone comes fucking it up all ugly style and shit, yeah sue that fucker or go fuck thier pieces up or kick their ass or let the shit go or whatever, who fucking cares. the only way to rule an area is to keep getitng up, over and over, and sometimes you gotta do the same place more than once, cause of buffs or cause whoever wants your spot or your paint sucked and the rain took care of it or whatever. some spots you jsut gotta let go and some are an ongiong effort to hold. the more risky hard to get spots you get, the less likely some fuck is gonna scribble ugly shit over it. so fuck yourself and go climb a tower or do the median of a 16 lane freeway or something. stickers, prolly the easiest way of getting up, are the easiest to get down. same with painting and everyhting else, the farther you reach, the fewer others can reach there. if you like a piece or whatever you gotup and jsut want to preserve it so much, take a fucking flick and save that picture. You dont' own the fucking world, and battle for turf is jsut that, a fucking battle. if you don't want your shit coming down, do legal shit inside buildings or something that any ole whoever can't come get to. Do whatever ythe fuck you want, if you got a reason or not, and fuck you. sure it's nice to be respectful but if you expect everyone to respect everyting youdo, then you're a pussy.

Originally posted by hobo knife@Oct 20 2004, 03:32 PM

at this point, I think i'm still doing it because i'm addicted to paint fumes.

loling..

i hated..

wall space issues

painting over somebody..and the beef issues

beef

fuckers that wanna act hard

rich kids that come down from their million dollor homes and paint in the ghettos

people that say if you dont rack your toy......although i see the viewpoint in some cases

clogged caps

getting paint under my fingernails

people that 'graff as a trend

that hardend stuff at the end of a nozzle on most mustard bottles

Originally posted by junior@Oct 21 2004, 08:06 PM

This is the most fairyqueen shit I think I've ever fucking seen on this website.

But I wouldn't expect anything more the kid who asks, "What was old school graffiti like?"