Write4Gold 2006

TWISTER

Hey,

i want to explain in this thread the Project Write4Gold, established as competition and graff meeting/jam since 2003 in europe, going to prepared worldwide this year for 2006.

Write4Gold is a competition in categories, a jury stay beside to decide with guidelines given by the organizers whos the most creativ and skilled especially on this day (we know isnt possible to judge in general the graffiti skills of a crew).

Write4Gold Venues in 2006:

Capetown, South Africa AFRICAN Qualifying

Tokyo, Japan ASIAN Qualifying

Auckland, New Zealand OCEANIA Qualifying

Surrey, UK UK Qualifying

Norrkoping, Sweden SCANDINAVIAN Qualifying

Moscow, Russia RUSSIAN Qualifying

Bratislava, Slovakia EAST EUROPE Qualifying

Budapest, Hungary SOUTH EAST EUROPE Qualifying

Vienna, Austria ALPS Qualifying

Rome, Italy ITALIAN Qualifying

Sofia, Bulgaria BALCAN Qualifying

Madrid, Spain IBERICAN Qualifying

Strassebourg, France FRENCH Qualifying

tbc, North America AMERICAN Qualifying

Haaksbergen, Netherlands BENELUX Qualifying

Stuttgart, Germany GERMAN Qualifying

World Final, splash! Festival Germany FINAL

To check the venues click on http://www.write4gold.info the official Website

The 5 different categories are:

Style 50% (priority)

Conception 20% (priority)

Sketching 15% (priority)

Throw Ups 10 % (priority)

Tagging 5 % (priority)

For most of the worldwide aerosol artist community the Write4Gold is a unique and very important event. The judges have a big responsibility. Thats why were looking for equal rules of judging for every Write4Gold Battle, to make the system of judging more transparent and understandable for everyody. The following explanations will give you as an organiser,a judge or a participant a guideline how to decide or participate at Write4Gold Events.

First of all a jury member has to be in a position to estimate a lot of different criteria. Of course not every jury member knows everything, but we claim to be open minded and willing to learn new things without forgetting the foundations. Open your eyes for developements and innovations in Writing.

There are different criteria which will be voted from the judges For each criterio each judge has to give points from 1 to 10. As morepoints the judges are giving to a crew as better the crew will stand in the ranling list. As usual the best crew in the rankings will go for the final battle in germany.

New ranking in 2006 is the place for "best conception". We will provide therefore special prize, winner certificate and the opportunity to participate in the jury of Write4Gold 2007.

The evaluation will be summarized according to priorities. Every single category has a separate evaluation system and rules.

CATEGORIES:

Style:

The complete crew is painting a style (letter combination (like hot spot or knowledge is king) and has to follow the guideline of the jury. Its most important thing to paint the letters of the guideline to be a part of the competition.

Guidelines: Swing (13%),Statics (17%), Originality (20%), Composition (15%), Creativity (20%), Readability (15%)

Weight for total evaluation: 50% (priority)

Time frame: 8 h

Board length: ca 20 m

Board height: ca 2.10 m

Available aerosol cans: 50 Molotow Premium for every crew

Writers/Crew: min. 3 writers max. 8 writers

Time: during the day event

Conception:

The jury rate the whole conception of the 20m wall of the style battle board. There is no guideline regarding special topic, but still the reference to the letters of the style competition.

Guidelines: Technic(20%), General Picture(25%), Character(20%), Colouring(20%),Originality (15%)

Weight for total evaluation: 20% (priority)

Time frame: 8 h

Board length: ca 20 m

Available aerosol cans: 50 Molotow Premium for every crew

Writers/Crew: min. 3 writers max. 8 writers

Sketching:

The crew nominate 1 writer for a sketch action. The best sketch of a topic given by the jury wins. Its most important thing to design the letters of the guideline to be a part of the competition.

Guidelines: Swing (5%),Statics (15%), Originality (10%), Composition (5%), Creativity (15%), Readability (10%), Technic(10%), General Picture(20%), Colouring(10%)

Weight for total evaluation: 15% (priority)

Time frame: 1 h

Available: 1 sheet of paper, format A4, one set of 12 touch markers

Action Throwups:

The crew nominates 1 Writer for a fast style performance.

The most attractive style without highlights or similar fancy stuff wins.

Weight for total evaluation: 10 % (priority)

Time frame: 90 seconds

Board length: ca 3 m

Available aerosol cans: 1 Molotow Burner XXL, 1 Covers All Outline Black

Time: during the evening event

Tagging:

The crew nominates one writer. The most swinging, most creative and stylish tag wins.

Weight for total evaluation: 5 % (priority)

Time Frame: (of course) none

Material: PVC/wall

Available: various ON THE RUN Marker or molotow spraycan

1 Try / Crew

THE REGULATIONS:

- NEW it is recommended that the maximum number of crewmembers is 8 or even less, maximum number of crewmembers to represent at the final is 5!

- NEW Each crew got 8 hours to show their skills and styles

- A team has to design a wall of 20 meters in length and

2 meters in height (actual board height: 2,08m -

see SPLASH 2002, or Write4Gold 2003,2004,2005).

- 8-11 teams compete per battle (no single battles)

- NEW Furthermore the best conception will be awarded

- the individual writers are only allowed to join one national elimination

- Each team gets 50 molotow spray cans, which are necessary for the

adaptation of the topic.

- At the finals, SPLASH festival 2005, 20 meters per crew are

available.

- A member of one crew cannot simultaneously take part as a

member of another crew in any other battle. No mutliple

participation possible.

- The team which wins a qualifying has to compete in the final

with the same team members.

- The battles take place from 10.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m.

(9 hours)

- The jury select the color combination (50 cans)

- The participants have to accept the rules, conditions and

the judgement.

- The provided brand of spray cans has to be accepted

(Everybody has to use the same tools)!

- NEW only real crews are allowed to participate in the competition, allstar teams or joined crews are no longer tolerated. Real crews means writing, practising and performing together beside the W4G

- NEW the jury should consist of 3 to 5 members, selected very carefully in close agreement with the W4G Headoffice/Germany

If you want to know more about the venues, regulations and categories check http://www.write4gold.info .

A Preview of the 2005 venuesclick here

To check the Trailers and more: click here

But now to my question, what you think about this whole project and the idea the have a official worldwide graffiti battle like the Bboys have in BOTY or DJ´s in ITF?

What you think about the judgements and the pictures there? As you know each crew get a topic to convert in 8 hours with 50 cans, choosen by the jury.

Tell me your opinion,

Thanks,

TWISTER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_Europe

We need some flicks in this thread to keep it in this forum.

Here is the concept wall from the winner crew of the 2005 international finals at Splash Festival in Chemnitz, Germany.

OCT Crew from France

sl_gallery_big_0c4bbacf51.jpg

Originally posted by Europe@Nov 28 2005, 03:27 PM

We need some flicks in this thread to keep it in this forum.

Here is the concept wall from the winner crew of the 2005 international finals at Splash Festival in Chemnitz, Germany.

OCT Crew from France

Thats not really right, not these wall has won the whole final, because the french OCT was the strongest in all 4 categories (throwup, sketching, tagging).

Winner of the Concept Painting (main categorie) , the hungarian crew PNC from budapest,

sl_gallery_big_e6149a1464.jpg

TWISTER

I think some of the ideas are kinda intresting. Looks like alot of nice art work, but thats not graff...... writing is a very raw and pure act and W4G is the kinda bullshit graffiti doesnt need. Dont mainstreem it or glorify it for all the fakes. And as for it being worldwide..... it really seems more like a Euro thing completely. Really tho when it comes down to it, you can tell that this shit sucks when tags and throwups count the least. Any way you could probably figure out the rest of my opinions..... have fun

and btw, would it cost to see this shit?

Guest diggity

my guess is this thread is going to be filled with people bitching, like this guy above me. thats the biggest problem with american graffiti writers, over here its not so much a community, people would rather just bitch and complain about something not being cool enough, they never do anything about it.

Twister,

I really like what your doing, i know its gotta be really hard to make these events happen.

Best of Luck.

I'll try to keep this thread knucklehead free.

Thank you,

Of course there are criterias, guidelines and a jury. But what about

havin fun, chill with cool people and get the chance to join a world-

wide final with about 18 crews from 4 continents? No doubts, its a

kind of commercial because of sponsors, but if you know anything

about organisation of events than you know what it means, to

cover costs and fees of a project like Write4Gold.

i think its a opportunity to show skills, meet up with national and international

writers, to support the network and have fun. Not

more not less.

Take a look to the wall productions and you feel what it is...

But no more discussions about at all, its more interesting to talk

about the categories and the guidelines, what do you think about

the reglements and the regulations. Do you think we should add

something else? Let me know, we are interested in every kind of

critical feedbacks.

Thanks,

TWISTER

well i dont intend to be your average hater, but i did give u honest feedback. the productions do look great(not my favorite style) but its all good on that end. I will say that the work it takes to set something that big up is gotta be hard so your efforts should be commended. But like i said above graff should be more pure. and tags and throws are alot more important when it comes to graff, thats wat graff came from but anyway, good luck for real, wont make it to any of the shows but id like to see some pics... and is it going to be a free event?

Guest diggity

seems lie creativity and originality are pretty close to being the same thing. i also think that tags and throwups should be valued a little more.

i have a hard time understanding what you mean by swing, maybe cause its 3am. could you elaborate on what you mean?

that guy instead of criticise should participate ahahaha.

if he wins and have the chance to go to europe would see europe is cool aahahahahah.

Europe has a lot to show and as definitly "cool" styles, i know some american writers really appreciate stuff from europe and get influenced.

See it as a good opportunity to share new styles and fun.

ahahaha.

big up for your work twisto.

Originally posted by alongheroicstory@Nov 28 2005, 08:19 PM

well i dont intend to be your average hater, but i did give u honest feedback. the productions do look great(not my favorite style) but its all good on that end. I will say that the work it takes to set something that big up is gotta be hard so your efforts should be commended. But like i said above graff should be more pure. and tags and throws are alot more important when it comes to graff, thats wat graff came from but anyway, good luck for real, wont make it to any of the shows but id like to see some pics... and is it going to be a free event?

Yes. mostly its free. In some venues Write4Gold are involved

as a side event, than its not free, but its not often.

Write4Gold didnt stay in competition with the graffiti from the

street, pure graff in such kind of writing you mean is still present

at Write4Gold, in kind of the skills of the participants... Dont

mess Write4Gold with Graffiti from the street, its an graffiti jam,

not more not less. Have fun, visit and than decide..

TWISTER

Originally posted by diggity@Nov 29 2005, 09:55 AM

seems lie creativity and originality are pretty close to being the same thing.  i also think that tags and throwups should be valued a little more.

i have a hard time understanding what you mean by swing, maybe cause its 3am. could you elaborate on what you mean?

Creativity looking for innovation, whats new..

Originality is like the winner wall of 2004, the swedish wall, many points according originality, because swedish guys rockin original swedish

stuff, stuff what they paint in daily writing business. Its hard to be

original at Write4gold, thats my impression.

The Swedish Wall

mce-crew-sweden.jpg

Swing its hard to judge because if compete walls like this:

IIG/CMR/TOP Crew Prague

Write4Gold Czech 2005

Topic: Break the Rules

sl_gallery_big_4b5ae30a40.jpg

sl_gallery_big_0941436ce6.jpg

or this wall:

USH/OSC/DOA Crew Gdansk (PL)

Write4Gold Poland 2005

Topic: Dream Theatre

sl_gallery_big_689206fcc0.jpg

we choose two guidelines, to mess this both walls,

Swing (weight 13%)

and

Statics (weight 17%)

I dont know if you understand now, i hope its not 3am ;)

TWISTER

http://www.Write4Gold.info

Originally posted by alongheroicstory@Nov 28 2005, 10:41 AM

I think some of the ideas are kinda intresting. Looks like alot of nice art work, but thats not graff...... writing is a very raw and pure act and W4G is the kinda bullshit graffiti doesnt need. Dont mainstreem it or glorify it for all the fakes. And as for it being worldwide..... it really seems more like a Euro thing completely. Really tho when it comes down to it, you can tell that this shit sucks when tags and throwups count the least. Any way you could probably figure out the rest of my opinions..... have fun

and btw, would it cost to see this shit?

i agree with this guy.

all those are weak.

how come theres no usa match.

america has better ideas and (definitly) letters than any other country from what ive seen.

europe has some of the best can control though.

if you held that shit in the states, especially on the west coast, i think

those winners pieces posted above

would look alot more insane.

just my 2 cents spend it how you want

Originally posted by MrJackDaniels@Nov 30 2005, 07:29 PM

so where abouts in surrey uk would this take place?

any ideas for venues?

The exact Venue will be published by AEROSOLICs in January.

Check our Website...

Regarding the USA Venue, sounds funny.

I didnt think that american Writers from US are much more

skilled like you said. It can be interesting to see how it works.

Actually we work on US Venue, check Write4Gold.info for upcoming

Venues in 2006

Originally posted by alongheroicstory@Nov 28 2005, 10:41 AM

All good, I dont see legal walls as 'graffiti' per se either. Removed from an illegal context graffiti becomes more like a craft or some folk art than anything else.

But just to let you know, my boy Tino TOP crew(the Czech Winners) is the hardest bomber in his city.

Prauge is definatly on lock with tags, throws and street peices.

for real, ive seen alot of american production type legals that blow that shit away. the lettering, the style, the schemes and everything. FX shit and definately cali shit, even down here in houston we got some better legals.....some. Its stupid to say word wide and not include America. The country that graffiti comes from and still the country with the most to offer...no doubt.

You criticise before knowing the conditions.

Do you know if the guy didn't look before for a place?

Not so easy to find it no?

He never said there were no level in USA.

We all know where it comes from.

If you were in the past events you would have known that oldschool european writers participated like the GFA crew or Scotty and the olschool from Heidelberg.

Also some really fresh crews went this year like OCT (winners) or the sewdish team ,the best germans took part too.

You should see it as a good oportunity to compete in a positive mind.

Write for gold cans be seen like the sketch battles from the writer's bench.

Yes there's something to win, it's good emulation.

Grafitti?

What is grafitti?

Who are we to tell it's grafitti or not?

When you paint your name on a wall it's grafitti.

I feds up me mostly is to see people allways trying to put a definition on something i think we shouldn't make it.

well it's only my point of wiew, thanx for paying attention.

"america has better ideas and (definitly) letters than any other country from what ive seen."

please show us the style...

From all i've seen except MSK AWR T7L KCW SEEN TATS i didn't see anything incredible on the whole rest.

DEFENITLY I prefer europe except the crews i said before.

im not defining shit.... what is graffiti? its an illegal act, it is painting or writing yourn name on a wall or anything for the matter, but without permission. Thats wat it is to me and many others. Thats a big difference. Otherwise its art with graffiti in mind. I dont know if theres an american level, but u check out the website and tell me where the venue is listed... its mostly euro plain and simple.

honestly, i like graff shows, but the really small ones that u hear about it from someone or maybe at most theres a flyer. keep it underground, u dont sponsors and mainstreem shit to paint on a wall and let people watch and to add to that you dont even need to judge peoples level of writing, people need to do it for themselves. it kinda kills the morals..... might aswell make team jerseys and shit and get it on t.v.

is there an australian event in the works?

i think this stuff is a killer idea, if you dont consider it graffiti then thats cool, doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. fact of the matter is that this sort of thing requires an entirely different angle to participate as opposed to illegal graffiti. saying this shit isnt 'real graffiti' is like saying dondi wasnt a 'real writer' because he sold work in galleries.

thing is that the people who organise this sort of thing create or have created illegal graffiti (i am assuming) and the people who participate in the event must have attained their skills somewhere, so im sure they have been involved in the shady side aswell.

the moment you start saying graffiti has this precise definition is the moment it ceases to be what it is. when heads first started writing on walls and creating pieces i doubt they sat down and wrote up a dictionary definition of 'keeping it real' back then i think it was just kids having fun. then if you want to come back with how it has evolved into something else, well this event is just a further evolution.

lincoln freed the slaves

armstrong walked on the moon

why should graffiti maintain boundaries?