wouldn't it be nuts....

Herbivore

i've been thinking a lot recently (probably more than i should on this topic) about how fucking crazy it would be if i were omniscient, and knew EVERYTHING, i mean EVERYTHING. i could look at anything and know everything there possibly is to know about that object. i could look at a paperclip, for example, and know the name of the guy who designed the factory where they were made, as well as his address, his family members names, what time he wakes up in the morning, the color of his car, the mechanic who last worked on his car, his mechanic's shoe size, the mechanic's grandfather's exact time of death......... its making me crazy just thinking about it. just look around the room right now and think of all the shit you'd know about the things around you if you were omniscient. it's crazy if you really let it sink in.............

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some more crazy shit i thought of........ i could look at the sand on a beach and know the exact moment in time that each grain of sand was placed where it lay.

i could look at someone and know how many hair follicles they had on their body, how many white blood cells they have in their body, and how fast the electrons were spinning around the atoms in their thumbnail.

you could look at a tree blowing in the wind and know exactly how many leaves are on the tree, the surace area of all of them, i mean, the possibilites are endless.............

am i the only one who thinks that being omniscient would be unbelievably nuts?

haha, nah, i'm not stoned.... haven't smoked weed or done any hallucinogenic drug in about 3 years.... its just whenever i start thinking about that shit, i get all worked up and my mind starts racing, thinking of the possibilites, but i'm over it now...... i was really bored at work........

on a side note, i'm watching the news and saw a preview for an upcoming story about graffiti artists' parents being fined for graffiti that their child has done. they also said something about the property of the parents being affected. that'd be crazy if they made someone spray paint their house or something..... this thread is done. that'll teach me to create topics.

*edit... just saw the story.... it just said that the parents would have to pay a fine up to $1000, and property damage fines up to $10,000... and if they couldn't afford it, a lien would be placed on their house...

Remotely related :

I once read about this autistic kid who had the most amazing photographic and visual memory.

He had basically elaborated some kind of..... architecture in his mind and he would store things he had to remember within it. And if he needed to remember something, he would -sort of- reopen where he 'stored it'.

He was a fascinating case for phychiatrists cause this kid could basically remember anything perfectly( that applied to, for instance, being shown a picture and being able to redescribe it in full detail years later).... and explained how he did it as i tried to describe it real shittily above.

He died before his 20s or much younger even, from too much stress and a nervous breakdown i think.

Also, i read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time which is about Asperger's syndrome and is kind of about the same thing, and it's awesome. Read it.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Excerpt from "El Aleph", by Jorge Luis Borges:

"On the back part of the step, toward the right, I saw a small iridescent sphere of almost unbearable brilliance. At first I thought it was revolving; then I realised that this movement was an illusion created by the dizzying world it bounded. The Aleph's diameter was probably little more than an inch, but all space was there, actual and undiminished. Each thing (a mirror's face, let us say) was infinite things, since I distinctly saw it from every angle of the universe. I saw the teeming sea; I saw daybreak and nightfall; I saw the multitudes of America; I saw a silvery cobweb in the center of a black pyramid; I saw a splintered labyrinth (it was London); I saw, close up, unending eyes watching themselves in me as in a mirror; I saw all the mirrors on earth and none of them reflected me; I saw in a backyard of Soler Street the same tiles that thirty years before I'd seen in the entrance of a house in Fray Bentos; I saw bunches of grapes, snow, tobacco, lodes of metal, steam; I saw convex equatorial deserts and each one of their grains of sand; I saw a woman in Inverness whom I shall never forget; I saw her tangled hair, her tall figure, I saw the cancer in her breast; I saw a ring of baked mud in a sidewalk, where before there had been a tree; I saw a summer house in Adrogué and a copy of the first English translation of Pliny -- Philemon Holland's -- and all at the same time saw each letter on each page (as a boy, I used to marvel that the letters in a closed book did not get scrambled and lost overnight); I saw a sunset in Querétaro that seemed to reflect the colour of a rose in Bengal; I saw my empty bedroom; I saw in a closet in Alkmaar a terrestrial globe between two mirrors that multiplied it endlessly; I saw horses with flowing manes on a shore of the Caspian Sea at dawn; I saw the delicate bone structure of a hand; I saw the survivors of a battle sending out picture postcards; I saw in a showcase in Mirzapur a pack of Spanish playing cards; I saw the slanting shadows of ferns on a greenhouse floor; I saw tigers, pistons, bison, tides, and armies; I saw all the ants on the planet; I saw a Persian astrolabe; I saw in the drawer of a writing table (and the handwriting made me tremble) unbelievable, obscene, detailed letters, which Beatriz had written to Carlos Argentino; I saw a monument I worshipped in the Chacarita cemetery; I saw the rotted dust and bones that had once deliciously been Beatriz Viterbo; I saw the circulation of my own dark blood; I saw the coupling of love and the modification of death; I saw the Aleph from every point and angle, and in the Aleph I saw the earth and in the earth the Aleph and in the Aleph the earth; I saw my own face and my own bowels; I saw your face; and I felt dizzy and wept, for my eyes had seen that secret and conjectured object whose name is common to all men but which no man has looked upon -- the unimaginable universe."

Read this short story if you have the time. Fave author ever, although translations don't do him justice.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Oct 14 2004, 09:39 PM

wrong and wrong.

a piece of string is double the length from the middle point to one end.

i know everything, and you two know shit. you're the king and queen of the land of suck.

That is, precisely, FOUR INCHES. Apparently you're not knowledgeable on that kind of simple math. Please stop before you embarrass yourself.

And no, we're not from Australia.

Originally posted by El Mamerro@Oct 14 2004, 06:32 PM

if you have the time. Fave author ever, although translations don't do him justice.

I've read some of Borges' work in a spanish class, but unfortunetly i'm not the most avid reader in spanish, so i was still losing a lot of the meaning that a fluent spanish reader would be getting. I do agree though that english translations definitely aren't as good, which is a shame, since many of the best authors and poets don't write in english, and therefor a lot can be lost when you get the english translation versions.

Originally posted by El Mamerro+Oct 15 2004, 12:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Mamerro - Oct 15 2004, 12:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mr. ABC@Oct 14 2004, 09:39 PM

wrong and wrong.

a piece of string is double the length from the middle point to one end.

i know everything, and you two know shit. you're the king and queen of the land of suck.

That is, precisely, FOUR INCHES. Apparently you're not knowledgeable on that kind of simple math. Please stop before you embarrass yourself.

And no, we're not from Australia.

[/b]

i was not talking about a 4 inch piece of string, i was referring to any piece of sting of any length anywhere in the universe.

and the guy in the grass skirt that lives in a mud hut on a patch of dirt in the middle of the ocean is trying to clown on me, a native of the world's most livable city in the country leading the world in innovation?

cool.

Mr. ABC/ no my friend, the zing stops >here< dozey.gifcrazy.gif

squolla

Originally posted by MrChupacabra+Oct 14 2004, 09:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChupacabra - Oct 14 2004, 09:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-El Mamerro@Oct 14 2004, 06:32 PM

if you have the time. Fave author ever, although translations don't do him justice.

I've read some of Borges' work in a spanish class, but unfortunetly i'm not the most avid reader in spanish, so i was still losing a lot of the meaning that a fluent spanish reader would be getting. I do agree though that english translations definitely aren't as good, which is a shame, since many of the best authors and poets don't write in english, and therefor a lot can be lost when you get the english translation versions.

[/b]

Yeah... and the thing is, one thing that makes him special is that he's not particularly easy to read... his stuff is always peppered with obscure historical and artistic references (a lot of which actually don't exist at all), and his sentence construction is very complex and sophisticated. But his subject matter is what I love, such great mindfuckery in such an odd way to go about it. "El Aleph" is about a man who finds a spot underneath a stairwell in some guy's basement where he can see the entire universe all at once. There's another story about a man who remembers perfectly every single thing he sees, down to every single leaf of every tree he passes by. Another story ponders the fact that, if a man were to live infinitely, he would experience the entire life experiences of every person who has ever existed.

He's the perfect literary companion to the art of MC Escher, and the music of Bach.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Oct 14 2004, 09:53 PM

i was not talking about a 4 inch piece of string, i was referring to any piece of sting of any length anywhere in the universe.

and the guy in the grass skirt that lives in a mud hut on a patch of dirt in the middle of the ocean is trying to clown on me, a native of the world's most livable city in the country leading the world in innovation?

Hahaha, check out this clown trying to assess measurement with his stone age metric or whatever shit. Everyone who has a fucking clue, and lives anywhere even remotely civilized (this apparently includes Puerto rico), knows that every single length for any string in the universe is four inches. Law of relativity, dude.. put some effort into learning physics beyond the entire Aussie knowledge base (which is basically "things up, come down").

And negro please, my hut has AC. Your kangaroo-pelt teepee has to be shifted to face the seasonly winds, and that's under the most advanced "livable" standards you got. If by innovation you mean "Finding clever new ways to prepare wallabee meat", then hats off to you.