World Cup (of Hockey) 2004

starts today, 1pm on ESPN, finland/sweden? in helsinki, tomorrow canada/us in montreal 7pm. canada looks scary good on paper. we'll see. i know the summer olympics just ended and you have to save you're energy for the pennant race, and football, but there may not be any more hockey than this for the whole year people. time to face the facts.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was just gonna make a thread on this. im watching the czech/finland game, and the czechs are getting worked out there. im surprised its not a higher score. but i suppose finland does have kipper in net. i think this canadian team is going to make up for our olympic failure. i cant believe mario is playing... its over for everyone. i think the russians might give us a good run for our money as well as the us. but its all up in the air in these things.

go canada!

im excited about this tournament for sure.

My prediction, as is a lot of people’s, is that Canada will end up in first with the US in second. I guess I’ll say the Czechs will end up in third, if not the Russians.

Very excited about this tournament, though I’ll admit that I’m more concerned about Canada’s chances of getting gold in the World Juniors this December.

it's really hard to predict these things. i'm holding off until i see a bit more of these teams. kipper is tough for sure. the fins looked energized by that. just look at what argentinian basketball did with some good coaching and modest talent.

Actually, I'd like to take my original statement back. I believe that it will be Canada who gets the gold, USA who gets the silver, and Sweden who will take the Bronze.

I was just looking at the rosters, and I don't know how I figured the Czechs would take the bronze.

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good first game. I'm surprised that Esche played as well as he did.

yeah, he stood on his head there for a while, i saw the highlights between periods of todays game which i almost gave up on. the chezks were down and out 4-0 after 2 and came back within one, clearly dominating the third period in every way. sweden got like two shots off all period the chezks had like 20, sick action. tellqvist (leaf, X!), stood on his head to keep them in it the last five minutes, esp the last 2 of six on four. the chezks are back! so sorry you canada fans missed it, saving yourselves for the slovak game tonite, ha.

Damn, it sounds like I missed a good game. Tellqvist is actually a very good goalie. Finally, he is our backup to Belfour this season, should there be a season. He should've been our back up last year, but stupid gm decided to pick up Trevor Kidd, who is a washed up has been.

So, Tellqvist is goaltending for the Swedes? I thought he was 3rd string! I figured it would be Lundquvist who is the starter for them.

Oh yeah, I can't WAIT for the Slovakia game..:rolleyes:

I might miss it for a girl. Damn, did I just say that?

man, i need to get tivo/dvr. i'm definately going to miss some of tonight's game and tomorrow night's as well which is one of the three games remaining in the round robin that i want to see. saturday at 1pm finland/sweden, and canada/russia whenever they play, but possibly germany/chezkoslovakia which would be humorous because the have beef. when i'm rich someday it's tivo+season tickets+hockey package. finally espn is stepping up and showing some hockey though, that's cool with me. i don't remember the last world cup being televised here.

man, they're not showing it, they're showing temple football instead. what a fucking tease. show every game until this one then fuck me in my livingroom. fuck espn. this sucks, what's going on. is finland sharp? i'm missing it, this sucks ass. thank god 12oz didn't get shut down.

<hanging on:crazy:

I thought Russia was going to be a formidable opponent to Canada, but such wasn't the case. Nonetheless, it was a very entertaining game.

Slovakia had a decent outing tonight, but they can't test Russia. Looks like Canada will be playing the Slovaks in a couple of days. Tomorrow is Germany vs. Finland.

*watching Ovechkin play finally was a real pleasure. I can't wait to see how he does in the NHL. I wonder if he can be as an offensive powerhouse as Kovalchuk has been.

damn, espn sucks that bad? Same goes for us in Canada who want to watch certain football games, but get stuck with watching the Bills. I'm gonna buy Sunday Ticket soon.

Tonight, the Canadians face Slovakia. Canada has to play smart if they don't want to get upset. We need the early lead, that's for sure.

Originally posted by Weapon X

damn, espn sucks that bad?

nah, espn and work sucks that bad. all the games on espn are at 7pm, they are all in north america or something right? i have a shitty vcr, and that's about it.

canada shouldn't worry too much, but watch out for satan he's dangerous.

on a side note, sabres tickets are wickedly cheap this year, if there is a season.