Working VS. Studying.

fatbastard

Working

Advantages

• Go to work, then come home...anytime spent not working is yours to do what you want with...no worrying about assignments due in or exams
  • Always receive a decent paycheck at the end of everyweek

Disadvantages

• relatively low paying job, due to lack of education
  • Not much progression in fufture (finacially speaking)

Studying

Advantages

• work towards a successful future in a high ranking well paid job
  • Enjoy breaks and seasonal holidays (spring break/summer vacation)
  • Receive an education

Disadvantages

• Be a poor broke student and struggle to survive
  • Be in a student debt to your university/college.

Ok so reading that, let me tell you about a friend of mines situation who works compared to mine who studies.

He is doing an electrical apprentice who works five days a week making $10 an hour, he has finished year 1 of 4 years when he finishes not only is there work for him internationally, and his field of work ishigh in demand (usually the case for trades positions) but he is almost guarenteed $40,000 PLUS on his first year then if he opens his own business (which most electricians do as it dosent require much money to set up) he can earn well into the $100,000 a year. <span style='color:red'>he is receiving the best of both worlds as he is enjoying all the "working man" advantages</span>

Me on the other hand im working through a business degree at university, majoring in marketing and electronic commerce I have to study and always worry about deadlines on assignemnts and upcoming exams, im broke, and get this when i graduate, not only is finding a job really difficult due to its competitive nature, but i will get a graduates pay of $30,000 and it goes up after 5 years to $50,000 before settling and only going up very very slowly.

but after listing all those pros and cons for some reason i think studying is my best option, an education is important to me and i cant stand getting dirty every single day.

what are your thoughts/opinions on this...work or study and why?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Skilled labourers are high in demand, so they can basically charge whatever they want. A friend of my brother's is training to be an electrician, some of those guys make more than my parents, who both went to University. But say in, like 20 years, when EVERYBODY is an electrician, the demand will go down, and so will the pay. Now a brain surgeon or something, will always be in demand, and will always command a high wage....

An education is definitley your best option. You don't have to get it right away, and you can always go back if what you have isn't working out. And I mean, I think you can put up with being a "starving" student for a few years. I have, it's not that hard. I guess the rewards make it seem worthwhile. And I'm the same as you, I'd much rather have a job at a desk than working hard graft every day....

Where was I going with this? Damn.....

i don't have a degree. i just take classes here and there to improve my skills as an artist/graphic designer. i can't bring myself to go back to school full-time - i hate math; plus i'm too dependent on working and making sure i always have money. and i hate sitting in class and being surrounded by immature people. i'm not above them or anything, i just have a different mind state than most regular people and i get distracted easily nowadays.

i guess another thing i forgot to mention is hapiness....people tend to forget this and set it as a goal for the future i.e- i will be happy once i finish school or i will be happy when i make my first million. after reading the entire saturn thread i have come to the conclusion that money and education and general "growing up" dont mean shit if your a miserable bastard.

an education doesn't always mean a high ranking well paid job, son. there's a guy i work with that has 4 university degrees. he's still doing the same shit as me, except he's doing it to pay off a $300,000 debt. i'm debt free and happy. alot of companys these days prefer the "work your way up" approach, i find. they want people to learn the way the company works before moving into a position with responsibility. and as well as that they prefer people shuffle around jobs in the company to offset boredom with the job (gone are the days of doing the same thing day in day out for 30 years).

i go to school fulltime and i'm broke as fuck.

What keeps me going is the fact that one day i will utilize my education to get a job and therefore be able to laugh at these days of poverty i am currently enjoying.

the way i see it college is more to me than just about being able to get a decent paying job. it's about soaking up hardcore knowledge that can be put to use in so many ways and just makes your brain feel more effective in general. When i'm done reading for four hours straight i feel like I could levitate a lamp with my awesome mental ability.

having a college education on your record carries A LOT of clout and it always makes me feel like a superior mo' fo' to tell people "Yeah i go to University of (blank) in (blank).

I dunno....i was basically going nowhere before i started going back to school. At least now i have some dirction.

FatBastard....

I am 27 right now. I am studying to get a communications major which i hope will one day be pout to use in the field of journalism (i have not decided on respectable news anchorman, radio personality or perhaps a gonzo journalist like Hunter S. Thompson.)

I basically clawed my way up through the crime-ridden, whitey-hatin' community colleges of the east bay for two long years and then one day....PRESTO! Big fat envelope from famous university telling me I have been accepted.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

i dont think this kid posting on 12oz is comparable to the excel of bill gates brain nor a scientist making breakthroughs.

obviously not, but don't be mistaken into thinking you're destined to sweep gutters if you don't have a college degree because that's completely untrue.

my cousin is a college graduate (teacher) and i make more money than she does. i also have alot more opportunity for advancement and pay raises than she does.

*edit - oh, and i'm not tens of thousands of dollars in debt. some friends of mine make twice the money i do, but with the debt they've gotten themselves in (college/cars/houses etc) they walk away with alot less money than me at the end of the week. fuck debt, fuck houses, fuck cars. live your life. you only get one

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

my cousin is a college graduate (teacher) and i make more money than she does. i also have alot more opportunity for advancement and pay raises than she does.

of course you do.....she's a teacher for chrissakes. They don't get paid a damn thing. i've known people that graduated from u.c. berkeley with nice and worthless bachelor degree's in anthropology and english. they flip burgers and do data entry for a living. yah.

Sadly, we live in a world where we no longer have the option of pursuing the type of career we really want in life. The cold truth is that the monetary demands that society places on us force one to choose between a lifetime of fufillment and poverty or success and "working jobs we hate for shit we don't need" (durden).

Yes, there are cases of individuals that do what they LOVE for a living and make hella hella cash on it. But time for reality check. Luck, connections and timing all have a hand in this and these factors are sadly LACKING in a lot of folks today.

When you go to college it's not so much pursuing something you like as so much as it is "Hmmmmm, which major would lead to the most lucrative career opportunities?"

I wouldn't say this was my sole reason for being a communications major....i love communicating with others and writing as much as i can. I actually derive soild enjoyment from it. But i would be lying if i hadn't also thought my choice out in terms of what i would be able to do with it in the job market after graduation.

Hell, I wanna buy my chick diamond studded thongs and eat her out on some sandy french polynesian beach some day while my fat ass boat languidly bobs up and down on sapphire hued water. A teaching career will not accomplish that.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

obviously not, but don't be mistaken into thinking you're destined to sweep gutters if you don't have a college degree because that's completely untrue.

i know a girl who graduated university (BA in education, same or at least similar to your cousin) and she moved to darwin getting payed 45 grand first year...she gets weekends 2 week quarterly breaks and 6 week summer breaks off as well. so you never know.

i swear buying a new car is almost the worst investment you could ever make. always buy used. always.

going to school is worth it, well for me anyways, i cant do any "man" jobs like being a plumber, although, i am pretty good at laying pipe, but seriously, i couldnt be an electrical wire hooker upper, or a steel worker, im useless at that shit, and im "book smart" and i want a non labour job too. stay clean at work.

Originally posted by LENS

Sadly, we live in a world where we no longer have the option of pursuing the type of career we really want in life. The cold truth is that the monetary demands that society places on us force one to choose between a lifetime of fufillment and poverty or success and "working jobs we hate for shit we don't need" (durden).

fulfillment and poverty please.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

i swear buying a new car is almost the worst investment you could ever make. always buy used. always.

you don't "invest" in a car unless you're going to be a courier or taxi driver or something. you buy a car, and continue losing money on that car until it stops moving. anything but an "investment"

Originally posted by fatbastard

i know a girl who graduated university (BA in education, same or at least similar to your cousin) and she moved to darwin getting payed 45 grand first year...she gets weekends 2 week quarterly breaks and 6 week summer breaks off as well. so you never know.

yeah, but she has to live in darwin. that's the only way they can get people to stay!

^^

opportunity costs.

it isnt an considered an invenstment in the sence that you can sell it for more than you bought it for.

its considered an investment because of the time you save, and convenience it allows.. eg- say it takes you one hour to ge tto work by public transport, and 15 minutes by car. in that 45 minutes you could be earning money and being far more productive with your time.

refer to the time value money pyramid.

^^

opportunity costs.

it isnt an considered an invenstment in the sence that you can sell it for more than you bought it for.

its considered an investment because of the time you save, and convenience it allows.. eg- say it takes you one hour to ge tto work by public transport, and 15 minutes by car. in that 45 minutes you could be earning money and being far more productive with your time.

refer to the time value money pyramid.

i enjoy riding the train and walking and stuff. plus where i live it's pointless having a car. even if i had one i'd have nowhere to put the fucker

i am a welder.i went to trade school one year an then went to work for a shit job.i learned alot on that job an now i have moved on workin somewhere else.i make good money but i come home tired and hurtin usually.welders inhale all sorts of toxic fumes and it is dangerous.example i am lucky to have my foot after a sheet of steel swung back an hit my ankle pinning my foot and me to the crane.

i look at my freinds an see them studyin all the time an broke all the time.they have set goals they want to achieve an will enjoy.i enjoy my work very much but not all people are cut out for trade jobs such as mine.jus do what you feel you will be satisfied with an you will be fine in the long run.everyone has to start out in the shit before it starts to become good.

Yeha, but her pay isn't going to advance unless she becomes principal, or deputy principal. The standard teachers wage in australia is around $50,000, no matter of their age.

i am about to start studying a bachelor of visual arts and a bachelor of education double degree, i am really not looking forward to the whole being broke as fuck for 4 years, then being broke again while repaying absurd debts to the govt, fucking government assholes. vote howard out, he is an asshole.