Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Working VS. Studying.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by fatbastard, Feb 4, 2004.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Elite Member

Working
    Advantages
    • Go to work, then come home...anytime spent not working is yours to do what you want with...no worrying about assignments due in or exams
    • Always receive a decent paycheck at the end of everyweek
    Disadvantages
    • relatively low paying job, due to lack of education
    • Not much progression in fufture (finacially speaking)

Studying
    Advantages
    • work towards a successful future in a high ranking well paid job
    • Enjoy breaks and seasonal holidays (spring break/summer vacation)
    • Receive an education

Disadvantages
    • Be a poor broke student and struggle to survive
    • Be in a student debt to your university/college.

Ok so reading that, let me tell you about a friend of mines situation who works compared to mine who studies.

He is doing an electrical apprentice who works five days a week making $10 an hour, he has finished year 1 of 4 years when he finishes not only is there work for him internationally, and his field of work ishigh in demand (usually the case for trades positions) but he is almost guarenteed $40,000 PLUS on his first year then if he opens his own business (which most electricians do as it dosent require much money to set up) he can earn well into the $100,000 a year. <span style='color:red'>he is receiving the best of both worlds as he is enjoying all the "working man" advantages</span>

Me on the other hand im working through a business degree at university, majoring in marketing and electronic commerce I have to study and always worry about deadlines on assignemnts and upcoming exams, im broke, and get this when i graduate, not only is finding a job really difficult due to its competitive nature, but i will get a graduates pay of $30,000 and it goes up after 5 years to $50,000 before settling and only going up very very slowly.

but after listing all those pros and cons for some reason i think studying is my best option, an education is important to me and i cant stand getting dirty every single day.

what are your thoughts/opinions on this...work or study and why?

2. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Skilled labourers are high in demand, so they can basically charge whatever they want. A friend of my brother's is training to be an electrician, some of those guys make more than my parents, who both went to University. But say in, like 20 years, when EVERYBODY is an electrician, the demand will go down, and so will the pay. Now a brain surgeon or something, will always be in demand, and will always command a high wage....

An education is definitley your best option. You don't have to get it right away, and you can always go back if what you have isn't working out. And I mean, I think you can put up with being a "starving" student for a few years. I have, it's not that hard. I guess the rewards make it seem worthwhile. And I'm the same as you, I'd much rather have a job at a desk than working hard graft every day....

Where was I going with this? Damn.....

3. CinchedWaist

CinchedWaist Elite Member

i love school.
    i hate my current job.
    hopefully one day i'll attend enough school and
    swell my brain enough that
    studying/learning/teaching will be my job.

4. rebsBK

rebsBK Member

^^^^^^
    you should start using your degree....

im a ways away.

5. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

i don't have a degree. i just take classes here and there to improve my skills as an artist/graphic designer. i can't bring myself to go back to school full-time - i hate math; plus i'm too dependent on working and making sure i always have money. and i hate sitting in class and being surrounded by immature people. i'm not above them or anything, i just have a different mind state than most regular people and i get distracted easily nowadays.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Elite Member

i guess another thing i forgot to mention is hapiness....people tend to forget this and set it as a goal for the future i.e- i will be happy once i finish school or i will be happy when i make my first million. after reading the entire saturn thread i have come to the conclusion that money and education and general "growing up" dont mean shit if your a miserable bastard.

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

an education doesn't always mean a high ranking well paid job, son. there's a guy i work with that has 4 university degrees. he's still doing the same shit as me, except he's doing it to pay off a $300,000 debt. i'm debt free and happy. alot of companys these days prefer the "work your way up" approach, i find. they want people to learn the way the company works before moving into a position with responsibility. and as well as that they prefer people shuffle around jobs in the company to offset boredom with the job (gone are the days of doing the same thing day in day out for 30 years).

8. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks Veteran Member

study/ get a stupid job that will get you by in good ways. in the long run, an education does everything.

if you choose to not use the study/education point, your basically stuck with the low-paying job...for the rest of your life. (untill you get education.)

9. Abracadabra

wrong. bill gates dropped out of college. look where he is right now.

10. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

i do both full time, and it sucks!

11. Abracadabra

so you go to school 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and also go to work 8 hours a day 5 hours a week?

12. Gunm

Gunm Banned

i go to school fulltime and i'm broke as fuck.

What keeps me going is the fact that one day i will utilize my education to get a job and therefore be able to laugh at these days of poverty i am currently enjoying.

the way i see it college is more to me than just about being able to get a decent paying job. it's about soaking up hardcore knowledge that can be put to use in so many ways and just makes your brain feel more effective in general. When i'm done reading for four hours straight i feel like I could levitate a lamp with my awesome mental ability.

having a college education on your record carries A LOT of clout and it always makes me feel like a superior mo' fo' to tell people "Yeah i go to University of (blank) in (blank).

I dunno....i was basically going nowhere before i started going back to school. At least now i have some dirction.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Elite Member

lens.

how old are you and what are you studying? if you dont mind me asking.

14. Gunm

Gunm Banned

FatBastard....

I am 27 right now. I am studying to get a communications major which i hope will one day be pout to use in the field of journalism (i have not decided on respectable news anchorman, radio personality or perhaps a gonzo journalist like Hunter S. Thompson.)

I basically clawed my way up through the crime-ridden, whitey-hatin' community colleges of the east bay for two long years and then one day....PRESTO! Big fat envelope from famous university telling me I have been accepted.

15. ElectricitySucks

ElectricitySucks Veteran Member

thats obviously an exception, hes a genius in the computer world.

i dont think this kid posting on 12oz is comparable to the excel of bill gates brain nor a scientist making breakthroughs.