working the graveyard shift

mapo wc

Im kinda-sorta looking for a job and Ive been thinking about the graveyard shift. Like some 24 hour place working something like 8pm - 4am or something. Im naturally more of a night person - at night i just seem to get more relaxed and shit. Plus if its a job with customers and shit, there wont be as many customers - therefore less work to do.

I was thinking I could work nights..get home like 5am..chill and watch tv and shit in the morning, then go to sleep like 10 or 11am. Sleep until about 7pm, then get ready for work. The best part is that Ill be able to avoid my parents since Ill be either asleep or at work while theyre home..and when i get off work in the morning i got the house to myself.

I know people on here have worked nights before, or maybe currently.

What did you think of it? Any really big drawbacks?

Also, what kind of jobs do they have where I could possibly get graveyard shift? Im seriously drawing a blank. Obviously most convenience stores are 24 hours but Id be too damn scared of getting robbed when I was up there by myself in the middle of the night.

Thanks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

take a night job, shit is always fun, its like clerks all youll do is jack around and do nothing, and talk to the occasional drunk or group of pot head kids. its chill man i did that shit for a while. and who cares, if you get jacked give em the money its not yours no loss. night jobs are funny.

you mean like one of those rooms where you watch all the surveillance cameras? thats not a bad idea. it'd just be kinda tough because if they were having stuff stolen and you werent catching it you'd be in trouble. also you might think someone stole something when they didnt, etc.

alotta responsibility i guess.

Guest got tha feva

Studies have proven that people who work the graveyard shift have signifigantly shorter lives. But that's talking about working 3rd shift till retirement, if you're thinking about it just to dick around for a few months then by all means go for it. The guy I'm seeing works like 9pm till 2am. he hates it cuz he misses most of the coolshit that happens before last call, and he's always ready to party when everyone else is crashing out.. but then again he's always sleeping when everyone else is waking up for work, which can't be a bad thing.

i work 5:30pm till 12:30pm wed-sat nights, and i gotta say those hours are where it's at. I can sleep in as late as I want.. when I get off of work I'm all hyped to go out, I always show up fashionably late, right when the night's getting good, i've got a few hours to hang out and get my boogie on, and by the time i go to bed i'm totally beat and sleep great.

PruDE

i worked graveyard at 2 places and i loved it

the first place was a shipping company, that was fun cause we used to throw the boxes of george foreman grills and shit around that was 4 am-12 noon

then i worked at an ampm which was even better cause the only people to come in would be drunks, lost tourists, potheads, and weirdos all i did was sit outside and smoke and drink icees

a friend of mine was working wak hours, he had a day job, and a night job, and he didn't see the daytime for about 4 months. he looked like utter crap, and he nearly had to go to a mental hospital cos it was seriously driving him insane. the doctor told him he had to quit and get a regualr day job because it was messing him up phsychologically. after sleeping when its dark and being awake in the day all your life, then doing the complete opposite, it will fuck you up (even if you consider yourself a 'night person').

Originally posted by got tha feva

Studies have proven that people who work the graveyard shift have signifigantly shorter lives. But that's talking about working 3rd shift till retirement, if you're thinking about it just to dick around for a few months then by all means go for it. The guy I'm seeing works like 9pm till 2am. he hates it cuz he misses most of the coolshit that happens before last call, and he's always ready to party when everyone else is crashing out.. but then again he's always sleeping when everyone else is waking up for work, which can't be a bad thing.

i work 5:30pm till 12:30pm wed-sat nights, and i gotta say those hours are where it's at. I can sleep in as late as I want.. when I get off of work I'm all hyped to go out, I always show up fashionably late, right when the night's getting good, i've got a few hours to hang out and get my boogie on, and by the time i go to bed i'm totally beat and sleep great.

PruDE

you work 19 hours a day?

Guest got tha feva
Originally posted by seppuku

you work 19 hours a day?

5:30pm-12:30pm = 7 hours a day. Unless I have my am's and pm's messed up. You know what I meant, you're just trying to be smart. :rolleyes:

PruDE

I work the graveyard shift - and that shit gets rough after a while. I can see why they say you have a shorter life-span. I always feel tired, but I can never sleep....

I've been doing it for over a year, and I'm burning out big time. But luckily the payoff is that I only work a 3 shift week and I get paid really good, and the job is pretty easy.

It's hard to sleep during the day - your body is just not used to it. And then when you go on vacation it's hard to switch back to normal day hours.

If you can handle it, night jobs are cool as shit. I have "phase delay syndrome" (don't ask), and imsomnia, so i'm up at night any way. those two things combined means that even though I get up at 9:00 am during the week i'm up till 3:00 am any way, so getting home at 3 or 4 on the weekends ain't too big a deal. Besides, we all know the really fun stuff happens at night anyway.

Archived