working out

sect one

I know this will be like asking " i want to be a graffiti taggerist how do i start, what do i write...etc etc" but I just started bench pressing (i know it's not much) and I'm very interested in it and I am finally getting off my ass. The problem is I don't know where to start or how to come up with a routine or what excercises do what. I want to build muscle mass as well as lose the fat I have now and I have wanted a hard stomach, nice arms, shoulders, and chest. I know it takes years and I am just getting off the ground but I need to know what to do. If I should do pushups situps etc. Also, what I should eat what my diet should consist of what I should avoid and any supplements I should take and if you guys have any tips I'd reallllllllllly appreciate it.:confused: Thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a trainer once gave me on this program for upper body:

in this order:

chest:

3 sets bench press

3 sets inclined press

3 sets butterfly*

sholder:

3 set dumbell raises

3 set military press

bicep:

3 set wide grip bar curls

3 set dumb bell curls

back:

3 sets rows (standing or machine*)

3 set shrugs (not really back but did it here)

triceps: (something like 70% of arm size come from triceps)

3 set pull downs (machine)* (do dips if no machine available)

3 set dumbbell lifts

3 sets bench press with hand together

stomach:

crunchs

leg lifts

thats one hell of a work out but goes through all you upper body, you may drop a few muscle groups (switch between days), or do 2 sets.

*some you need the proper equipment but smost can be done with a basic home set of bar, bench and dumbbells.

eat 3 square meals a day with healthy snacks.

jog/bike, something cardio on off days.

do something for your legs. (biking, kill two birds w/ 1 stone)

find somebody to do it with for a spot, to give motivation and can push you harder (and vice versa). this helps get quicker results.

pratice good form.

well i dont have a max bench yet my arms are putty i weigh around 145 and was benching 115 for now, when do i know to increase the weight? Thanks so much for the help nomadawhat and yeah i meant to get cut, so thanks. :idea:

Originally posted by sect one

well i dont have a max bench yet my arms are putty i weigh around 145 and was benching 115 for now, when do i know to increase the weight?

increase your weight when you can 3 sets of 12-15 without a spotter.

and don't worry about how much you can lift, do what you are comfortable with, i use to overload my weights to look and feel like i was stronger for the people around me at the gym or even with my friend who is much stronger than me, but that just hinders your progress. it could be a good idea to max out every once in a while (do 1 set of 1 to 4) to see where your at and monitor your progress. but don't get caught up with the numbers, especially seince you wanna get cut.

From a bboying forum:

This program covers both mass ( building up muscle ) and power ( making the muscles able to do something.) He did this program abstact from Breaking ( ie. He wasn't Breaking when doing this ), but he said it made his flares crazy, and just boosted power.

It's by Slavik Havik.

-Nate

***Yeah alright heres the scoop, if your serious into this shit of body conditioning, then you gotta follow some of these rules. If you want to notice a diffrence quickly.

You gotta eat alot of protien. eat 1.5Xyour body weight in grams of protien every day. This is crutial, if you manage toe at this your gonna notice a HUGE diffrence. You gotta have the right ammount of rest. If your goin and bencpressing one day, dont go back a day or two later and expect results. A muscle takes a minimum of three days before the higtened protien synthesis it aquires from stimulation from your workout wheres off, after that it stops growing, and repairing itself. So give each muscle group at least 3-4 days rest. Resting and nutrition is important.

You gotta remeber all your growing your gonna do takes place OUTSIDE the gym. So give yourself time to rest, going 7 days a week for 2 hours a day is just gonna kill you, not make you stronger.

The basic principles for building muscle

Stimulation to grow (exercise) -> Feed it so it can grow(Eating right)->Giving it the opportunity to grow(Rest)

If your new to the gym/workout scene, i'll give you some tips it takes most people a few years to figure out. Don't discard these, there going to make your workout... without them, you practically wasting your time in the gym. Quite literaly.

1) LEave your ego at the door, forget how much weight your doing, keep perfect form and focus on using ONLY the muscle your working, make sure you dont feel any other muscles helping the muscle your working

2) Work to feel the maximum ammount of burn, not reps or weight when bulding size. The goal in bodybulding is to stimulate muscle growth as much as possible, the more pain you feel or the more time you spend pushing yourself at muscle failiure the more you'll grow. Don't stop your set as soon as you reach failiure and cant push that last rep. Squeeze the muscle, hold the weight, do a few half have your buddy help you a little bit and squeeze a few more reps out. Whatever you can to work your muscles as far past their failiure zone as possible. When your muscles fail is when their really being stimulated. Not when there lifting the weight with ease. Follow me?

3) Stretch each muscle group for 20 seconds before and after a workout, and stretch the muscle group you just worked for 10 seconds after each set

4) Take a 5 minute warm up and cool down, on the treadmill stationary bike etc. This gets the blood flowing to your muscles, It enables them to work etter during the workout and recover faster after it.

5) Change up your program every 3-6 weeks. The standard is 6) but depending on how your body repsonds to weight training the freqency you should change your program at can vary. Change the number of sets and reps, the frequency you go to the gym, somepeople will go to the gym three times a day working a diffrent muscle group each time for two weeks, then the next week only go once every other day, just to shock their body. You can change the way you exercise you do for each muscle. (Ie: Dumbell press over to bench press) whatever, just switch shit up so your body dosent get used to it

7) Get at LEAST 8 hours sleep a day, this isnt absolutely necessary, but like everything else its one piece of the bodybuilding puzzle and it will improve the gains you make. Some pros will take a nap right after then get back from the gym.

8) Eating right. If you wanna build muscle, what are you gonna build it with. You gotta provide your body with all the right nutrients to do it with. Picture your workout, as contracting a construction crew, and the food your eat as the matireals their going to use to build the house. Without materials there just gonna sit around after you've wasted your money(or time in the gym). Eating the right ammount of protien will help you like MAD!

Whey Powder is an easy source if you want to supplement, and is very efficently digested by the body. After that

Chicken (20g's roughly in a chicken breast) Tuna (25'gs in a can) Milk (10g's in a glass) Eggs (6g's an egg) Try and get 1.5X your bodyweight in grams of protien a day.

Follow all that and you will grow fast.

Some optional things that might help

Recording your program

Supplementing Glutemine

Eating 2X the ammount of protien your eating in simple (non-starchy) carbs

Avoid too much cardio... If your breakin at least three times a week, your probably doing enough.

Okay so you want that program

Here I'm gonna give you a few things.

One for bodybuilding, One for decreasing your strengt defecit (Power to bodyweight ratio). The two are important, body building is buling alot of raw mass, power training is learning how to use that mass. If you can use 100% of your mass then your muscles are going to be very efficient, and having alot of mass wont be a bad thing. If you just build muscle, then your adding on alot of weight that your body dosent know how to use. Gymnist teach themselves how to use all their muscle, thats why they can still be relitvely bulit and do all that crazy shit, but a bodybuldier on the other hand is just bulding mass... essentially dead weight. Obviously he is getting stronger but he never moves his power to bodyweight ratio up.

By increasing the size of your muscles your increasing your ammount of potential strength... the key is learning how to use it all.

The two most common methods of doing this are cycling between bulding and power training, or inorporating the two together in one program

Working sets of 3-4 with 8-10 reps with a 1.5 minute break between sets and a 3 minute break between exercises. is Ideal for size gains,

Working sets very close to your 1RM (One Rep Max) Is ideal for power training. The most common method of power training is doing

3 sets of 3 at 90% of your 1RM

2 sets of 2 at 95% of your 1RM

1 set of 1 at 100% of your 1RM

Take a tree minute break between each set to let all your muscle regenerate the energy stores... remeber this is training your body to use muscle, not bulding it so the feeling you'll be generating in your training will be much diffrent. You may not feel the same pump or burn that you would in your building phase. In tis phase don't increase the weight or the reps, but instead work on devloping an explosive contraction, working on moving the weight faster as you get stronger, rather then upping the weight as you would doin a bulding phase.

I've included some sample programs... The first one is designed with planche and flare strength in mind

PROGRAM 1: Mass Phase

Day 1: Legs

Deep Squat 4 sets-15

One Leg Squat 4 sets -10

Striaght Legged Deadlifts 4 sets - 10

Seated Calf raises 4 sets - 10 (Alternate the positon of your foot through all the possible angles)

Day 2: Chest/Triceps

Weighted Chest Dips 4 sets-10

Incline Dumbell Press 3 sets-10 (keep your arms wide, like your doing a mix between a fly and a press)

Cable Cross Overs Bottom 2 sets -10 Using the handles at the bottom of the cable aparatuns kneel on one leg move so that your body is ahead of the appartus and your arms are back a bit. So the weight is behdind you. Arch your chest back a bit, so that it is completly stretched, and keep a 90 degree bend in your arms at all times, and cross your arms over above your eyes, with your head looking up at a 45 degree angle

Cable Cross Overs Top 2 sets - 10 Using the higher handles on your cable appartus step forward kep the same strech in your chest keep your arms 100% straight and pull your arms together so that your hands meet infront of your crotch

Close Grip Tricep Pushups 3 sets - failiure Doing these with your feet on a swiss ball is more challenging, and works planche strength

Tricep dips 4 sets-10

Tricep Rope Extensions 4 sets -10

Reverse Planche on Swiss ball 3 sets-Failiure

Day 3: Back/Biceps

Chin ups (1 foot between hands, regular grip) 2 sets -10 (if you cant do this do negaties (Jump up and lower yourself slowly untill you reach 10 reps))

Wide Grip Chinups 2 sets -10

Cable rows 4 sets -10

Close Grip Pulldowns 2 sets -10

Wide Grip Pulldowns 2 sets-10

Shrugs 4 sets -10

Wall curls 4 sets-10

Incline Curls 3 sets -10

Day 4: Shoulders/Abs

Dumbell Military Press 4 sets -10

Lateral raises 4 sets-10

Planche on swiss ball 3 sets of 3 to failiure

Handstand pushups 3 sets to failiure

Floating Leg Raises 3 sets -15

Machine Curls 3 sets -15

Roman Chair Situps 3 sets-25

Oblique Curls 3 sets - 25 each side

Program 1: Power Cycle

For all these exercises use the following series of reps and sets

3 sets of 3 at 90% of 1RM

2 sets of 2 at 95% of 1RM

1 set of 1 at 100% of 1RM

Day 1

Bench Press

Incline Press

Weighted Chest Dips

Pec Dec Flys

Day 2

Regular Griped Chinups

Wide Grip Chinups

Cable Rows

ReverseClosed Grip Pulldowns

Wide Grip Pulldowns

Day 3

Squats

Leg Press

Dumbell Shoulder Press

Jumping exercises (25 reps jumping up froma complete crouch, 25 reps jumping up from a 90 degree bend in the legs)

Day 4

Rest

Day 5

Bench Press 4 sets -10

Pull Downs 4 sets-10

Shoulder Press 4 sets-10

Alternating Dumblel Bicep Curls 4 sets-10

Skull Crushers 4 sets -10

*ABS try and work this in 3-4 times a week

3 sets to failiure floating leg raises

3 sets 25 wall crunches

3 sets -failiure V Snaps

It is alsop possible to work in power sets into your mass routine, if you do not want to cycle

Try 3 sets of 10 and 1 set at 95% of your 1RM focusing on explosive power

I hope this helped

--------------

-Slavik Havik, [br]AKA, CanadianDave1

Originally posted by sect one

Thanks you for all the quick responses, and nomadawhat where are you at with all of this just wondering, thanks again

i used to do that program on the reg, i was taking creatine, and went from 150 to 180 and got some good results, fuck creatine though if your trying to get cut (search for the creatine thread to get those thoughts). i got lazy for a while but am back into it now for the past month with noticable results!! this time i started a little slower (shoter work outs, 30 min) so as not to overdo it and get bored but am just about up to the full program at 2 sets on most 3 on chest (trying to fit it in an hour). sticking with it is the hardest part.

(shoter work outs, 30 min

a lot of people tend to like working out short but sweet like this, i try about three to five times a week each time just diong like a 30 minute blast on a few muscle groups and alternating. then on the side run also a few times a week. works for me pretty decently.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

anyone hear anything about hydroxycut? i lost a bunch of weight recently, and im still working out, and just want to be somewhat cut, not big... i heard this shit works but dont know if it does.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

anyone hear anything about hydroxycut? i lost a bunch of weight recently, and im still working out, and just want to be somewhat cut, not big... i heard this shit works but dont know if it does.

nomad coming off like some kind of fitness nut..... ok, used this shit last year to lose alot of weight before i came to the sunshine state, helped me take off 20. speed in a bottle. if you lost the weight already just work out to get cut, see above. but i guess it can help burn fat around the muscle to help get shaped a bit. if you do use it be sure to take multi-vitamins daily! a better product to try may be the new xenadrine-efx, it has no ephidrine which can fuck with your heart.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by nomadawhat

nomad coming off like some kind of fitness nut..... ok, used this shit last year to lose alot of weight before i came to the sunshine state, helped me take off 20. speed in a bottle. if you lost the weight already just work out to get cut, see above. but i guess it can help burn fat around the muscle to help get shaped a bit. if you do use it be sure to take multi-vitamins daily! a better product to try may be the new xenadrine-efx, it has no ephidrine which can fuck with your heart.

yeah man i lost close to 30 lbs and it'll prolly take another 15-20 to be cut. a friend of mine told me the new hydroxy cut has no ephedrine but i'll look into the other stuff as well. thanks a bunch man.

i run 20 minutes almost everyday. doesnt matter how far you run, you ll work up to getting farther...just push yourself, test your limits. you can start out slow, whatever you think you can do, and this'll get your body used to it.

i do crunches 30 at a time: center, right side, left side, lower abs, center, left side, right side, second lower ab workout( i do two different lower abs.)

then i do 30 lunges, 30 pushups, 30 leg lifts, and i repeat as many times as i feel i can do. (leg lifts are you on all fours, one foot at a time straight up in the air like youre resting a book on your foot-stretch up, lower your leg, but dont put your knee down til your 30 is done.). this works good if you dont want to go to the gym all the time.

most important is running 20 a day.

Guest uncle-boy

i just came home from the gym.

bench

hammer curls

bar curls

flys

back

bench

run 20 min

abs

and im still chubby....but the ladies dont mind.....woooooo! :)

Archived