Words You Cant Read...

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

I've been thinking about that for a while, i always hear ordinary people talk about tags, some like em, some hate em...they all agree in one thing though, they cant read it!. I've met people that think its a satanist sign, or a secret code for gangs or an abstract bullshit scribble...or something weird, useless and above all, incomprehensible.

At the same time, all people have a signature and noone is satisfied by just writing its name properly. Each persons signature is used as a proof of authenticity and as a personal mark at the same time...two reasons why it should differ from normal writing. What interests me most is the fact that even the less artistic skilled or bothered with aesthetics people care about how their signature looks. Depending on how they view their self they try to come up with shapes, dynamics, nifty letter connections and think of it as a form rather than a word...At this point you have to ask your self if your father has a better tag than your sorry ass.

Another thing is that signatures are often more fucked up and abstract than numerous tags, people with long names tend to write the first 4 or 5 and then 'fade' the name away, thats dope. In any way, that thought makes me laugh, people that have more stylish and abstract tags for their name and still look upon graff tags with wonder...

http://www.cosmos-eq.org/images/signature.jpg'>

http://www.riverheadest.co.nz/images/signature.gif'>http://www.state.sc.us/treas/images/grady-signature.jpg'>http://europropertysearch.com/images/signature.gif'>

http://www.refvem.com/refvem/signature.gif'> http://www.huysmans.org.uk/signature.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

dope thread tess, ive always thought about that...

my dads sig is absolutely horrible but it looks cool none the less...funny

and also i remember first coming to college campus and people (parents on tour) seeing tags and gettin all fussed up, one of the most common asked questions was the gang activity on campus (to the campus pd) to which they of course responded zero....but it was funny seeing people talk bout the shit they saw and try to figure it out!

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Bringing the thoughtful sickness as always...

My signature is horrible... the concept behind it should result in something elegant and graceful, but years of doing it have just made it uglier and uglier. I always keep thinking that i should make a new one, but I'm so used to it that it could be a problem.

/ dude thats true.. i used to change up my signature alot till i just settled on one cause i didnt think of it as a big deal anymore...but i noticed over the past few years somehow my last name has diminished from nine letters to two and a squiggle. similarily my first name is a first letter and a barerly recognizeable scrawl...

but it looks kinda neat.

Guest imported_Tesseract

mamerro, before anyhing else i'd like to inform you that you're real close to your 3333 post..good shit,

Anyway, same happens to me. My signature could be could but years of hitting it destroyed it, same goes for style, at some point crisp lines and good connections gets you bored...i sometimes think its boredom and i sometimes think it could be a style of its own...i always draw styles with no eraser i try to hook the letters at once...when i stop caring about perfect lines in a way that my hand just leads me to the next line...i' forced to think its the right way....i dunno, working that way, i came up with new forms of letters when i lost the control over what i was trying to do

i like to see stylish signatures, the more illegible the better, same as i like good tags, some regular signatures are basically tags to me, that spiral one is pretty far out, i usually like the ones you can barely work out, although my signature is like fucking kiddy writing, i should have some abstract nonsense like all good design students, but i thought it should be readable for documents and applications and that kind of shit, so now i'm stuck with it :o

Guest imported_Tesseract

Dont even go there....doctots and pharmacists are a whole different category. I believe that among the medicine classes they learn how to write things fucked up and how to read fucked up things...it doesnt make sense in any other way

like a lot of women, i have excellent penmanship..

the funny thing is though, for years way before graffiti was a part of me, i loved calligraphy and penmanship and was a little obsessive about it.

i developed several different styles of lovely cursive handwriting..

after decades (literally) of taking notes, especially in college where i would sometimes write upwards of ten pages a day in a notebook, plus many years of studying graf handstyles, i have about 15 different kinds of regular penmanship handwriting..

i am also an excellent forger

i can duplicate all the hands i ever needed to...

but a few years ago i wante to have my handwriting analyzed, and realizewd that basically impossible, because i have no single natural handwriting..

watching fools gape at graf tags like they're illiterate has always been fun for me..

funny, even the most legible tag, when written on a wall, is instantly able to comletely confound the non-graffito-educated observer.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by !@#$%

like a lot of women, i have excellent penmanship..

I'd love to see some of that stuff...how was your trip!?

/~~~~~~~~~~~~_  MY ANKLES SURE ARE SORE !!!!!

_+=+_       _[~ /~~~~~~~~~~~~_               

{""|""}     [~~~  [~  /~~~~~~~~~_  GET IT ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  

""":-'~[~[~"~[~ ((++   [~ _/~~~~~~~~_             

'=_  [  ,==, ((++  [  /~~~~~~~-~~~-.          

~-_ _=+-(  )/  ((++ .~~~.[~~~~( {@} `.         

/  } /   (   }   (  .  ''}        

( .+  / //   )  / ., """"/         

(  .+~~_ /.= /'""""          

-rm-  <"_V_">      ~~~~~~           

<"_V_">    <"_V_">         

Dope thread to 3rd power.

I've noticed that my sig has degraded over the years to nothing more than the first letter of my name and a bunch of vertical lines with barely any connections, and has become impossible to do in those little boxes that you need for government things like passports or renewing your drivers licence. In Tesseract's first example the boxes for signing are horizontal while my sig is about twice as high than wide. So I've developed a second sig that I do for those little "stay in the box" sort of things.

Wow, I didn't think I had so much to say about something that takes about 2 seconds to do.

Guest socrates

i have a freidn of some how makes the left fist(for resistence) in her signature to dot her I...It's kingda cool and I haven't figured out how she does it so fast.......mine looks like a 4 year old...kinda sad............................

so, I saw this thread when you first made it, I was waking, beering and plannig my trip to the post office plus digging out a 10 page double-sided document I needed to fax off... I thought, and I think it is very dope... I have noticed how, over the years, with the proliferation of literacy (in America) that the art of signatures has really gone downhill, mainly because I hang out with a bunch of writers (er, uh, authors) and I have just always expected them to have nice signatures but... as I've grown and compared theirs to others I have become increasingly worried about the lack of style that's predominating our ancestors with a growing tidal wave of signatures nearly as stylish as an X... and also I've been disgusted with the bit mapped reproductions of my signature when I sign those little electronic credit card modules, how unflattering...

And I'm not even talking about John Hancock or anything... I have in my possesion several things signed by Ernest Hemingway, and several books bearing Dali's signature and I'm just broken hearted with the increasingly ugly scrawl the masses are pushing.

Dali's signature

http://www.annakoren.com/images/dali2.gif'>

Hemingway's signature

http://www.rarebooks.org/a_HemingwaySignature.gif'>

I just pulled these off of Google image search and it made me think how much it has amused me over the last little while how people can barely handwrite let alone print their names. As my grade 3-4 teacher said "That looks like chicken scratch!".

But, Dali being an artist and Hemingway being a writer, it is easy to see how their signatures represent who they are. Dali with his surrealistic style and Hemingway with his "I need to be able to read what I wrote because I'm drunk as well as being a writer" style. Signatures do represent who we are, maybe.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Smart, good point...poor education kills character and handstyles...its funny how old people have these kick ass signatures... it also has to do with the use of the dope traditional pens people used to use....general downhill

Archived