Word of the Day

Guest imported_b0b

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by Daze One Million

any history on that word...like i mean who would think thier dick was disappearing in there body? shrinkage?

I'll have to dig my bizarre words book out and re-read the entry for it.

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by effyoo

Awesome. I'm subscribed to a word of the day email and todays was:

flibbertigibbet FLIB-ur-tee-jib-it, noun:

A silly, flighty, or scatterbrained person, especially a pert

young woman with such qualities.

effski, how would one get hooked up to this shitkicking subscription?

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

It's not that your dicks shrinking, it's your belly getting bigger.

this, my friends, is known as having a 'gock'...gut-cock.

which reminds me, last night at work i saw a horrifying

gunt that hung absurdly low, and jiggled at a terrifying

jpm.

Prana (sanskrit) literally, the "forward moving air," moves inward and governs reception of all types from the eating of food, drinking of water, and inhalation of air, to the reception of sensory impressions and mental experiences. It is propulsive in nature, setting things in motion and guiding them. It provides the basic energy that drives us in life.;"

SOCKDOLAGER.

A heavy or knock-down blow.

This is one of the more famous of the set of extraordinary words that were coined in America in the early years of the nineteenth century, along with such gems as absquatulate, hornswoggle and skedaddle.

Lexicographers are reluctant to speculate about where it came from (as usual as there’s little evidence), but we may hazard a guess that it’s a combination of sock, meaning to give somebody a blow, with doxology, the little hymn of praise sung towards the end of a church service. As well as its literal meaning, sockdolager also came to mean something that was exceptional in any respect, especially, according to the OED, a particularly large fish; one sense given in an edition of Bartlett’s dictionary in 1848 was “a type of fish hook”. James Fenimore Cooper wrote in 1838 in Home as Found: “There is but one ‘sogdollager’ in the universe, and that is in Lake Oswego”.

The particular claim to fame of sockdolager is that it was virtually the last word President Lincoln ever heard. In Tom Taylor’s play Our American Cousin, there occurs the line “Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, you sockdologising old man-trap”, and as the audience laughed, John Wilkes Booth fired the fatal shot.

Oh this word is gonna get some air time...

CACOGRAPHY.

Bad handwriting or bad spelling.

We should use this word more, it’s too useful and relevant to let it fade away. It derives from the Greek graphos, “writing”, prefixed with kakos, “bad”. We’re more familiar with this as the beginning of cacophony, “bad noises” (despite the association of ideas, it has nothing to do with our cack-handed, which derives from Old English cack, “excrement”). When cacography began to appear in English at the end of the sixteenth century it did so with the sense of “bad spelling”. It was beginning to be thought that the old way of spelling words by personal preference ought to give way to a standardised system; the introduction of printing had a lot to do with this. So cacography was seen as the opposite of orthography, “correct spelling”. In the following century cacography was used to mean bad handwriting as well, as the opposite of yet a third Greek word, calligraphy, “fine writing”. The word is marked as archaic in my dictionaries, though it still turns up from time to time. A typical usage was that by the horror writer H P Lovecraft, who described the manuscript of his novel Quebeck as “136 pages of crabbed cacography” (in reference presumably to the handwriting rather than the spelling). Someone who exhibits either failing is a cacographer.

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

It's not that your dicks shrinking, it's your belly getting bigger.

I should make a rule – no more fat people over at my house. Every person with a big belly that comes over misses the toilet. I’m not kidding, either.

Originally posted by b0b

frotteur

French expression for a man who rubs his crutch on strangers on crowded trains.

Funny, we actually studied frotteurism last semester in Abnormal Psychology. It's one of the more common sexual disorders amongst younger males. Apparently they commonly rub their crotch on people's asses and then run away if confronted. :lol:

Archived