1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

wood panel boxcars

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by TED NUGENT, May 18, 2002.

1. TED NUGENT

TED NUGENT 12oz Senior Member

wood panel boxcars

Discussion started by TED NUGENT - May 18, 2002

maybe ese, kabar or cracked could help me with this one.When where the last wood pannel boxcars fazed out?i have some models of some and they have the panels spaced out it looks like if you hopped in them you could still see out side threw the spaces...kinda cool.anyway just wondering if anybody has any knowledge they wish to share about them.
    thanks

TED NUGENT - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

Ski Mask - Replied May 18, 2002

those sound like cattle cars, not boxcars. Wooden boxcars were phased out pretty early from what I understand. like the 40s-50s were the end of the road. I know the first mass produced PS-1 40-50ft steel boxcars were being produced back in the 40s, so by the end of the 50s wooden cars were probably very scarce. This is just a guess on my part...I dont really know the exact dates...just an educated guess....

Ski Mask - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied May 23, 2002

The only wooden panel boxcars I ever saw were when I was a young kid, maybe 1956 or 57 and they were sidelined, rotting away. The boxcars that are running have been steel as long as I can remember, my earliest recollections are from the early '50s. I do remember diesel-fired steam locomotives, from the early, early '50s, riding a passenger train from Houston to the San Antonio area with my grandmother.

All the boxcars I have ever ridden were steel. There were still a lot of boxcars with walkboards on the roof and ladders and grab bars that allowed access to the roof back as late as the mid-'70s , early '80s, but nearly all boxcars today have been re-built or re-fitted to remove the roof access ladders and grab bars. There's really no reason for anybody to need access to the car tops these days. Those old designs dated from a period when brakemen ran the tops of the car with a brake staff, applying and releasing brakes by hand. Nobody has needed to do that since Westinghouse invented the AB air brake.

Sometimes the older boxcars had a wooden floor. I preferred wooden-floored cars because they were warmer and "softer" riding. Modern boxcars are designed to haul freight, not people. The newer plug-door boxcars and the deckless container well cars like the DTTX may prove to be the end of trainhopping as we knew it. I can see people maybe carrying home-made netting/hammock devices to rig in DTTX cars or something like that, maybe. Tramps will adapt, but as the cars become more efficient and less accomodating, the heart of the thing is slowly slipping away from us. You know, nobody herds cattle to Kansas to the rail head anymore, either. Some things just fade away.

KaBar - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. TED NUGENT

TED NUGENT 12oz Senior Member

TED NUGENT - Replied May 23, 2002

thanks for the info guys...

TED NUGENT - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages: