woo hoo, seeking finally learned how to make scanner lines in photoshop.

seeking

yeah, i know i should have known this for years, but whatever, im a hack.

anyone have any tips for making shit look like it was really taken right off a tv? ive done a bunch of these tonight, and most of them look ok (IMO) but they dont look exactly real. they're missing a certain sort of something... im not sure what. anyone have anything they'd like to show the class? im not talking about 3d robots (no offense mams) but more 'organic' stuff. make sense?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

looks pretty good...

i know what you're talking about....that something..

i'd appreciate a little tutorial..........

i've been trying to get that dirty/degraded

by years in the sun/gritty 1979 super 8 home

video steelo for awhile...

Guest BROWNer

i'm serious.

i'm fucking amateur.

tweak the hue, add some minor

blur, then some minor film grain...

then what?

looks like shit.

holla.

why the hell would i post a pic of myself? c'mon now.

brown, i know what your talking about. sometimes i'll take the pic, save it as a low quality jpeg, open it up, save it again. and just keep doing that till i have the desired 'look.' it works better with some pictures than others. blowing out the saturation helps too. but im still searching for the right 'formula' cause its always one step off.

aserine, heres the crash course.

make a new image, 2pixels tall, and 2 pixels wide, transparent background. (yes, very tiny).

now make half of that black, so you have a 1x2 black square, the rest transparent.

edit>save as pattern

now open up whatever pic you wanna put the lines on.

make a new layer ontop of it, open up the fill bucket and click 'fill with pattern.' if your using 6 it should be along the top. if your not, you're gonna have to go looking cause i dont know.

it should fill the layer with lines.

gausian blur like .5 or 1. change the opacity to fit your fancy.

i did alot of other stuff, like spherize the image a little bit, so it would look like a real screen bowing out. i also made the little black screen border and added a very faint 'reflection' of light just below the ansiq.

hope that works for you.

thats how i did it another way to do it is go to halftone in the filters make black and white as your colors and itll automatically do that stripe shit for you i also tried different patterns besides black and white lines i tried circles, checker patterns its pretty damn neat did you just put that black and white stripe layer on top of the main picture and fucked with the opacity or what? i love photo shoppo

Guest imported_El Mamerro

That looks pretty damn good Seeking... Good idea on the spherizing, I wouldn't have thought of that one.

Now for some tips... You know the layer you made the scan lines on? Apple-click it on the layers pallet to select the lines themselves, then shift-Apple-I to select the inverse. Make a new layer, and fill it with white. Do the whole blurring and opacity change bit, then change the blending to overlay. This'll make the spaces between the black lines look brighter, except where the background is dark.

Second, if your background image is too sharp, duplicate that layer, then motion blur (horizontally) the bottom one a bit. Erase around the edges on objects and things on the unblurred layer, and you'll get that diffused look around the edges of things. In that picture you posted up, the image looks blurred enough, so I don't think you'd have to do this.

Some gritty thing I had lying around, for your robot-hating ass:

http://newcamp.net/hector/images/backdrop2.jpg'>

Robots own you, fucker!! Haha, beer,

El Mamerro

the fill with pattern thing is pretty cool, i have come to enjoy the automated tasks that i can make photoshop do, makes my job easier

and gives me more time to post here! anyways...do you know how

to use the history brush? i have wanted to figure that one out for

a little while....

y

Guest imported_Tesseract

My 2c

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/tvshot.jpg'>

actual tv shot

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/sneeze.jpg'>

Computer screen shot

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/tvpuke.jpg'>

Attemp1

http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/derek copy.jpg'>

Attemp 2

* I think the refresh rate bar makes a difference, some grain works good to.

i dont like phongs tutorials, for the simple fact they all deal with channels, and alot of the time, that just makes shit more complicated. thats how i originaly learned to do em, but i realized i could skip half of his steps and it still looks the same.

yeah, i would to learn about the history brush as well as the healing brush. after 6 came out, i never really learned the new shit, so i have no idea on most of it...

thanks mams, ill try that.

oh, and for the blurred look. i made a copy of the pic. then made a blank layer. put a white oval on it, blurred it to hell, placed it inbetween the two pic layers. took the top layer, lowered the opacity, and motion blurred it 4pixels. it gives it the slight light reflection off the glass...

tess, how big did you make your scan lines? the pic with the guy on the curb looks real good.

in the actual screen shot, that curved scan lines come from the glass bowing out. i did a version like that as well, but it didnt look quite right. if howevr, you wanna repeat it.

select the lined layer, edit>transform>skew. just skew ONE side (top and bottom) of the lines. hit enter, now do the otherside. if you do them at the same time, it doesnt skew them, just shrinks em.

ya know what i think it is, the scan lines are just black, where as on a tv, they are a fine combination of white/black/red/blue/yellow.

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by seeking

ya know what i think it is, the scan lines are just black, where as on a tv, they are a fine combination of white/black/red/blue/yellow.

actually there's only Red Green and Blue.

The home television has the 3 colours in one signal.

Y/C or S-Video breaks it into Black info (luminance and 3 colours)

Component video is "Y, B-Y, R-Y": Analog luminance (Y) and color

difference signals (B-Y and R-Y) of component video. Each may be

derived from the primary colors Red, Green, and Blue.

but It's always going to be RGB in the analog non-plasma non-LCD world.

someone please mess with this television.

http://www.asian.ca/images/tvfl.jpg'>

Guest imported_Tesseract

Yeah, its RGB, and there is the big black bar, caused by the refresh rate of the screen. Thats why i made my lines bigger, refering to 'older' technology, i cant remember numbers, i used the eye. The smugde tool works wonders when it comes to breaking the rbg channels, grain does that to...Thats what i did with the drunk dude(its a girl actually) pic

Guest Ted Wakowski

Yeah professor zesto up there ^^ is right.

I think the "black bar" is realistic, since it's what actually shows up when you film an ntsc TV with a normal video camera, but it's pretty ugly. Same with all the RGB colors you can see on tesseract's first shot. Unless you can make those things work "aesthetically" (I fucking hate that word) with the image it seems like it would be better to just skip that shit.

On ansiq's screen, maybe a bit more glare and a really light touch of that RGB rainbow effect? -- you might be able to create a layer of it.

Archived