*wine*

Guest WebsterUno

Guest WebsterUno

i have 2 questions about wine.

1. can i find a decent/good wine

at the grocery store?

2. have you ever cooked food with wine?

if so, what kind and what were the results?

ok, thats like almost 4.

i cooked some chicken with wine

2 nights ago, and it came out

pretty good. i was at the store looking

for some wine, but i dont know wines

too well. so, i went for what i knew.

i got one of them huge jugs of rossi.

i use most of it to boil my chicken.

the rest of it went in my belly.

then i slapped some bbq sauce on them

breasts and grilled em real quick...

:yum:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i don't know much about wine myself, but i know don't use cooking wine. Chefs say, if its not good enough to drink, its not good enough to cook with.

white wine - chicken/ fish

red wine - beef

red wine has a fuller (for lack of a better word) flavor, so i think it would go better with red meat, while white wine is more delicate so poaching or sauteeing in white wine may go better with fish.

champagne and oj is great though!

you know how people say red wine with red meat

and white wine with fish, chicken etc.

well that rule should go out the window.

It doesn't apply so much if the wine is good.

*pinot grigio*

^^^

true, but i was talking about cooking with it. and of course, if it tastes good just do it the way you like it. it just seems like thats a good guideline to follow.

but who knows, cooking isn't my baliwick. (thats the word of the day)

*(in response to key3)

um, well im a chef and although i do not drink anymore because of my religion, i have drunk some good wine.

to your first question: i personally have never really found any good wines in any grocery stores that i have been to. liquor stores man, liquor stores, thats the only place to go;.

to your second question:the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember about cooking with wine is to USE WINE THAT YOU WOULD DRINK that you think is good. the whole rule about white/fish, red for beef does not reall yapply anymore since there are just so many ways you can use wine.

so ya use wine you think is good to u, never use cooking wine from a place like safeway, etc. etc.

peace

tk

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Originally posted by effyoo

...champagne and oj is great though!

agreed, mimosas are great!

i had a champange brunch

the other day at el torito...mmm.

i used carlo rossi-sangria.

thats the best tasting one.

its red, but i used it anyway.

the chicken was purple on the

outside, and white on the inside.

it tasted good. i know im supposed

to use white wine, but i thought

i would try red...

:o

i also used it for some beef, came

out super good. i threw mushrooms

in there, and they had a good flavor.

very juicy too.

my land lady used carlo rossi-rhine.

she said that gives it good flavor.

i havent used cooking wine yet,

but i dont think i will after hearing the

comments posted. ill stick to drinking

wine. i like drinking it while im cooking.

:dazed:

do you guys got any brand names?

i like merlot, i dont like white wines

too much. i want to try some pinot noir.

i like sweet tasting wines, i just

dont know the brand that have them.

there are so many.

thanks folks

best recipie ever! YUM!

Whether it's "Chicken on the Throne", "Beer Can Chicken", or "Beer in the Butt Chicken" this technique for cooking is gaining popularity for the tender and juicy chicken it creates. You can do this in your smoker or oven or on the grill.

People who try it once seldom go back to other methods of roasting. So what is it?

The basic process is to take a half full can of beer with the top cut off. Place it where you are going to be doing the cooking and then place the chicken over it so that the beer can is inside the chicken. Since it's advent, people have begun adding all kinds of spices and extras to the beer to give it more flavor. Generally you will see garlic, cayenne, diced onion, or cumin added, but you can do most anything.

So why does this work so well? First of all you are adding a source of moisture to the chicken that keeps it from drying out. Second you are adding beer. Now, more than the fact that beer is good, the yeast and malt in beer react with the chicken, particularly the skin, making it thin and crispy while the meat remains juicy. Garland Rome suggested to my using crab boil, which works really well.

Like I said, you can do this regardless of how you plan to cook the chicken. Of course it will turn out differently if you put it on the grill, versus in the smoker, but the basic principles still apply. Cook the chicken as you would normally. Always put something under the chicken like foil or a baking dish to catch the drippings.

The biggest problem you might run into is the chicken tipping over. The weight of a half full can of beer just isn't enough to keep the chicken standing, especially if you are doing a large bird. But never fear, your fellow outdoor cooks have recognized the need and a host of products have appeared on the market to help you out. If you look in the "Elsewhere on the Web" section you will find a few variations to choose from.

Re: *believe*

Originally posted by WebsterUno

do you guys got any brand names?

i like merlot, i dont like white wines

too much. i want to try some pinot noir.

i like sweet tasting wines, i just

dont know the brand that have them.

there are so many.

for red, i suggest any italian chianti... a personal favorite. i've also heard that most french bordeaux's(sp?) are good too. mostly, just keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Originally posted by BackSeatBebe

wine in spagetti sauce is really nice

mmmm....i love beer, tomatoes and mussles boiled together

oh man, i love seafood.

musseles are sabroso.... :yum:

"beer is underrated for cooking with."

beer is underrated.

i had a friend make some

guiness stew for diversity

day at work...damn that

stuff was fuckin good!

i have some shrimps

and beer batter at home.

i was going to make

some this friday night.

my roomate likes it when

i get my cook on.

:D

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Originally posted by <KEY3>

best recipie ever! YUM!

aha! beer butt chicken!

i saw this recipe 2 nights ago.

i was looking for a good wine

recipe, and stumbled on this..

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/az/BeerButtChicken.asp

the link you provided gives

more detail though...thanks!

i definatly want to try this.

thanks boner, i figured that.

but i know you can find something

decent for around $10-$20?

i aint trying to pop hundred dollar bottles now...heh heh

Re: *believe*

Originally posted by WebsterUno

thanks boner, i figured that.

but i know you can find something

decent for around $10-$20?

i aint trying to pop hundred dollar bottles now...heh heh

i found this here http://www.foodandwine.com/invoke.cfm?Obje...2A40002B3309983

10 Great Values

2001 Santa Julia Torrontés ($7) Nobody knows where the aromatic white grape Torrontés originated (best guess: Spain), but in Argentina it produces rich, exotic, jasmine-infused wines like this bargain example.

2000 Hess Select Chardonnay ($11) Hess makes a Napa Chard of all-out exuberance--immensely rich and juicy, brimming with tropical-fruit and just a touch of oak.

2000 Chappellet Dry Chenin Blanc ($12) The neglected Chenin Blanc grape is given star treatment at this well-known Napa winery: Barrel-fermentation shows off luscious fruit and a dry finish.

2001 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc ($13) New Zealand has gained a passionate following for crisp, citrusy Sauvignon Blancs such as this.

2001 Louis Jadot Saint-Véran Domaine De La Chapelle Aux Loups ($15) This firmly structured single-vineyard wine from the Mâcon region of France is a subdued, elegant, mineral-infused Chardonnay.

1999 Fetzer Valley Oaks Syrah ($9) This Mendocino bottling captures the lush, supple side of California Syrah, with a wonderfully seductive aroma of ripe blackberry-raspberry fruit.

2000 Feudo Monaci Primitivo ($9) A new winery in southern Italy turns out this fruity, lively, medium-bodied Primitivo (a.k.a. Zinfandel).

1998 E. Guigal Côtes-Du-Rhône ($10) Though Guigal is famous for its pricey Côte-Rôties, this well-priced, medium-rich selection warrants a cult following as well.

1999 Vega Sindoa Merlot ($10) Low yields are one of the secrets to this sensationally succulent, very Merlot-y Merlot from Spain's Navarra region.

2000 Marquis Philips Cabernet Sauvignon ($15) This inky and immense wine was created by American importer (and F&W contributing editor) Dan Philips and top Australian winemakers Sarah and Sparky Marquis.

also check out this http://www.foodandwine.com/wineguide/pairing/, it lets you find a match for whatever food/wine you may have.

I have a whole bunch of shit that i havent tried yet but here are some good shits that i have in the collection that fall in the price range.

Mariah

Mendocino ridge

Zinfandel

Flora Springs

Wild Boar Vineyard

Cabernet Sauvignon

You should be able to find those at a grocery store. Not a food lion but something a little bit more classy.

i blame 12 oz for tomorrow morning when i wake up. i made my champagne and finlandia podst while at work and well now im home and i have a bottle of cooks and 375 ml bottle of finlandia and do know they will be empty by 9 ocklock, its all this threads fault :cool:

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

AREANKAY: your welcome!

Tease: wine is not gay.

beer is too filling, and takes

too much to get you crunk.

wine does give nasty headaches

after, but just take a double dose

of aspirin, take a nap, and youll

feel like a million bucks.

plus, its good for your heart.

Archived