"Will you keep it simple?"

bodice_ripper

"or will you begin to add style to it and 'camoflauge' it?"

About a year and a half ago I posted some arabic influenced sketches, and Joker asked if I would end up adding style to camoflage it. And unfortunately the answer was yes...... so here are some of my sketches since then....

e48bc56c.jpg

jas

9e132e8b.jpg

jude

b82e0cad.jpg

jude, tnr

990bb29b.jpg

jas

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm not happy with how I started trying to find doo-dads to suit the letters, instead of trying perfect the letters further. I want simple and perfect, with nothing to distract from the lines within the letters... However, it can make me feel like I am somehow letting others down if they are on a wall with me..

anyway, I've been moving away from the ornamentation route, back towards lines

e862be4f.jpg

ruth

screw adding do-dads for other people. worry about being able to paint that stuff stupid clean and precise. if you can make the walls look as sharp as the sketches, they'll hold up their own weight in mixed company. if you have to, tuck yourself up into a corner or something, or build your piece around someone elses so you're not just taking up a panel with a lot of black space, meanwhile everyone else is getting all bananas like sever. europeans are awesome at doing ridiculously unconventional styles and making them work. style file is a textbook for that shit.

good stuff.

nice work. I am going to start learning arabic and have began to think of it's impact on letter structures. I like how some writers will take the squares like you did in your last scetch, and use them to bring other layers forward or back.

• 5 weeks later...