will arcel's computer ever be the same ?

Dick Quickwood

so i was trying to make ms-dos an available operating system on my computer, and i fucked it up pretty good, so good it wouldn't start. the windows 98 startup disk wasn't very useful, so i took my computer to a repair place. they reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled windows xp, and backed up (most of) the data. that cost a hundred dollars and left me with one less partition on my hard drive, a brand new bare looking desktop, and a couple big folders, in which the .exe files have not worked so far, nor have i found my 1.5 gig music folder.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's fucked up, you know there were some jokers working at that place like me that were like, hahaha wow.... watch this.... delete.

Nah... I'd never do that, but you should've asked someone who knew the deal first before you tried to venture into something like that on your own.

yes dirty habit, i wish i would have done that.

here is the problem that i think needs priority: i think my computer still has viruses on it, one of them being the msblaster worm. one of the things that keeps happening, is when i try to download something, my computer disconnects from the internet. this tells me i need to run an antivirus program before i begin replacing my programs.norton antivirus is in the folder of stuff that was restored. "norton antivirus" consists of a folder containing a bunch of files, a few of them being .exe files. i double clicked and right click>opened each one, and nothing happens. i haven't been able to download files using internet explorer 80% of the time. i don't have any anti virus programs on disks. what should i do ?

Originally posted by dowmagik

if they formatted your drive of course you arent going to find your music files, they were lost in the format.

did you really pay 100$ to have you drive formatted and xp reinstalled? im in the wrong business.

they backed up the data, or most of it anyway. they charge forty dollars an hour.

Hey, if you got your computer back formatted, with a virus.... I'd raise hades with those mother fuckers. What idiot backs up programs that need other files in the windows directory to work...?. who gives a fuck about the exe's if they don't have the libraries that were deleted..... also, if they could back those up, they could've saved your music.

I'd say go get your money back or else you'll run their name through the mud, although don't make threats right off.... but, rather, as a last resort.

Guest porksandwich

to stop your computer from shutting down when the error message pops up, go to: START>RUN> then type "shutdown -a" and hit enter.. that stops the machine from shutting down.... used to happen to me all the time, get all the service paks and security updates.

yeah, if i knew they weren't going to back up the files and stuff on the desktop and the music folder and shit, i would have just said to reinstall windows, luckily for me i saved my important pictures on a cd, and what's not on the cd is still on the camera's memory card, i never deleted anything from my camera's memory card by the way. right now i'm looking at buying a used computer that i saw in the newspaper, which brings me to these questions:

1. how do i deal with the worm

2. why would my internet connection keep disconnecting ?

3. why does it disconnect when i try to download a file ?

4. how hard is it to set up a little network between an xp computer and one running windows 98 (the 125 dollar gateway in the newspaper) ?

Guest porksandwich

to deal with the worm you're going to have to get a .REG file that (i believe) disables it.... i think its alled "blaster.reg" i got it off www.enter.net . i forget exactly what section. then you have to download i think its either a service pack or sec. update ( which is all explained on the page.... ill see if i can dig up the exact link for you.

*edit here's the link to the page http://www.enter.net/site/support/messages...=alerts&msg=46a

hope it helps.

Originally posted by porksandwich

to deal with the worm you're going to have to get a .REG file that (i believe) disables it.... i think its alled "blaster.reg" i got it off www.enter.net . i forget exactly what section. then you have to download i think its either a service pack or sec. update ( which is all explained on the page.... ill see if i can dig up the exact link for you.

*edit here's the link to the page http://www.enter.net/site/support/messages...=alerts&msg=46a

hope it helps.

i clicked the link and followed the instructions, thanks

d_h, i know not about that cable, what's it look like ? could i connect the computers using an ethernet cable, or something else ? i don't know if my computer has one of those cards, it does have an ethernet hole, which leads me to beleive that it has an "ethernet card" or whatever

My brother just found a computer sitting outside someone's house with 120g hard drive, all the latest sound cards and graphic cards, dvd burner and various other supercool computey things.

The box it was in had the address of where it came from and where it was supposed to go, so i had a minor ethical dispute, but by then, we'd already ripped it open and started picking out the good shit.

Originally posted by ARCEL

d_h, i know not about that cable, what's it look like ? could i connect the computers using an ethernet cable, or something else ? i don't know if my computer has one of those cards, it does have an ethernet hole, which leads me to beleive that it has an "ethernet card" or whatever

please answer

Originally posted by ARCEL

i clicked the link and followed the instructions, thanks

ethernet cable is classified as cat-5 cable with rj-45 jacks (the telephone line looking connectors) so if you have a broadband connecx you've already got about half the shit you need, and if this computer that you're talking about buying doesn't have a NIC in it.... it very well may be a POS.

Archived