why

GayLordRob

All the research ya'll do, all the knowlege about foriegn affairs ya'll posses, all your references to hip hop pioneers, but at the same time, you can't overstand why the same people who created hip hop live the way they live?? Worst, you don't even believe it can happen in your own backyard?

It's that social attitude that created hip hop in the 1st place...the fact that no one believed that conditions in the ghetto was as bad as it was, or rather the fact that no one cared.

When Public Enemy 1st came out, what were ya'll listening to? Was hip hop cool for ya'll then? When Afrikan Bambata dropped how were you living? Were most of you kats 'down 4 hip hop' when it was on that black revolutionary tip? You can look back at that toon "Self Destruction" NOW and say it was a classic, but when it came out, were you into hip hop as you are now?

You can look up countless of archives & find out all the info you want, but it ain't the same thing as living it. Fuk diction, fuk delivery, fuk star producers & all that shit...IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MESSAGE, as far as I'm concern. & what kind of message would you all be sending?

Fuk the ghetto & everyone in it?

To hell with those who have to struggle in life due to powers beyond them, let's just freestyle about nothing in partikular?

THAT'S the impression I'm getting. I don't know how the fuk some rich kid from the suburbs, who threw their parents' wealth in their face & CHOSE street life, is gonna school a youth who grew up around the shit about hip hop. I just can't overstand that.

If all these heads who claim they've been listening to hip hop from way back when were real, then hip hop should've been huge a LOOOONNGG time ago. But the fact is, NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE OUTSIDE THAT LIFESTYLE was listening to hip hop back then.

When I was in high school, the only hip hop white boys liked were the Snoop Doggs & N.W.A's...the rebelious ones, the ones that were about anarcy with a gun. They couldn't give a fuk about the Public Enemy's or KRS's.

Am I wrong? Is hip hop just gonna be another Jazz or RocK N Roll? A genre of music that came from the ghetto, but took over by the powers that be & basikally taken away from those who gave it birth? That's the road hip hop is on right now, as far as I see it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i care... enough to read all that and type all this.

Originally posted by GayLordRob

Am I wrong? .

yes and no.

1) hiphop doesnt belong to you, black people, people who've been listening to it longer, or anyone. in my opinion anyway. a lot of people (not you necessarily, i cant tell) seem to think they own hiphop because they're black, and talk as if they were involved in the creation of hiphop or something. this might seem like some ignorant shit for me to say, but you might find it to be really true. maybe not.

2) you obviously think of the only hiphop worth considering as being the kind where people talk about streetlife/being a minority and how hard it is (which there isnt a whole lot of right now, most rap dealing with "the streets" has to do with how grimey and hardcore and cool it is) and trying to overcome that shit. this isnt true, you cant just ignore the hiphop that isnt what you consider the most important. i realized the same thing for myself a while ago. for me, it was that commercial hiphop (the most garbage bullshit, talking about whips and gold that most of the artists dont even have when their first album came out) was hiphop too, like it or not. that's part of what makes hiphop up and has to be considered. so, like it or not, this abstract/emotional/wierd white boy rap (if thats how you want to think of it) is hiphop too.

yes, hiphop changed from a ghetto art to basically fair game for everyone, but that doesnt have to be a bad thing. obviously it makes for a lot of bullshit, but it also makes for some new perspectives on shit.

3) no, most people who listen to, make, and talk about hiphop were not into it when afrika bambata "dropped," but that doesnt mean they cant bring anything to hiphop. if you ask me, anyone with enough heart for it can better the art form, and thats what matters.

what i do agree with out of what you said is that its fucked up for kids who grow up on their parents wealth to throw it away or disregard it and try to be hard and be "street" or thug or whatever. if you have an advantage like that, take advantage of it.

maybe you havent picked up on it yet but yes, i'm a middle class white kid, and yes i make hiphop. i look at it like this: a) im blessed to have this life, even though if i didnt im sure i would resent people that do, and B) having this kind of financial standing (or rather my parents having this kind of financial standing) i am privileged to go to a school with a recording studio, and i dont use it to record bullshit music (well... most of the time anyway), i use it to record shit i think you might appreciate... maybe not. but my crew doesnt just rap about bullshit, we talk about, amongst over shit, problems with the world and whatnot, and maybe some of the shit has been said before but we do our best to carry the message. cuz thats the important part, right?

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Take you philosiphical look on hip-hop and go somewhere else with it...while you're at it, learn some correct grammer.. YA'LL IS NOT A WORD.

shut the fuck up, you wouldnt said that if Mr.Chupacabra hadnt said the exact same thing, dont be a such a bandwagon hoe. and learn some grammar yourself, idiot.

When Public Enemy 1st came out, what were ya'll listening to? Was hip hop cool for ya'll then? When Afrikan Bambata dropped how were you living? Were most of you kats 'down 4 hip hop' when it was on that black revolutionary tip? You can look back at that toon "Self Destruction" NOW and say it was a classic, but when it came out, were you into hip hop as you are now?

Why yes I was....I've listened to hip hop since I was 5 years old...I'll be 27 this year so do the math..I could care less about "HIP HOP" now...I like Three Six Mafia though..:cool:

^ haha ^

I have this theory that people were happier in the 80's because everywhere you went you'de either see someone with a mullet or decked out like that ...

On topic, I only read through half of what you wrote and scraped the rest*. If you ask me the real problem is people in hip hop constanly trying to tell each other what they should be doing or what they should have done... same goes for alot of youth cultures .. probably same goes for culture in general... but thats more tricky ...

Man I over think...

conclusion ? stop trying to tell people how to live their lives... it doesn't effect you and your not helping anything ..

bekause i am directing this post to people who are claiming they have listened to hip hop all there life and are so "knowledged" about it but yet these people kant not overstand why people in the ghetto do what they do.

yeah its true a lot of people question why "people in the ghetto do what they do," maybe because they dont realize how hard it might be to get out of doing that stuff. i personally question it sometimes because some people keep doing it cuz they think it makes them hard (which i guess it does in some cities) and gangster and shit, and then they start growing up and they cant retire off money from slangin and they go oh shit.

i dont know why i try to talk to people about this shit on the internet, most people just want to bitch about whatever their standpoint on hiphop is and not actually have a conversation about it.

You can only listen to classical music if you wear white wigs, knee socks and live in Europe, 300 years ago.

other wise you're just faking it and really have no understanding what classical music is all about.