Why is teh new CIA Director not qualified? Because he says so. (Politrixxx)

GamblersGrin

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/world/sto...,266788,00.html

Goss in a bind over CIA nomination

Fahrenheit 9/11's Michael Moore posts transcript of Bush nominee saying he is not qualified for being a CIA agent today

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush's nominee for CIA director, Representative Porter Goss, could be his own worst enemy when it comes to making the case that he deserves to head the US intelligence agency.

Mr Goss appears in Farenheit 9/11, the most financially successful documentary in history, during a segment devoted to the USA Patriot Act, an anti-terrorism measure. -- AP

'I couldn't get a job with the CIA today. I am not qualified,' the Florida Republican told documentary maker Michael Moore's producers during the filming of the anti-Bush movie Fahrenheit 9/11.

The day after Mr Bush picked Mr Goss for the top US spy job, Moore released an excerpt from a March 3 interview in which the 65-year-old former House of Representatives intelligence chief recounts his lack of qualifications for employment as a modern CIA staff member.

'I don't have the language skills...my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We are looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably,' he was quoted as saying in an interview transcript released on Wednesday.

'And I certainly don't have the technical skills, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer.' So, the things that you need to have, I don't have.'

Mr Goss, who served with the CIA clandestine services in Latin America and Europe in the 1960s, was not immediately available for comment.

The White House dismissed the transcript as 'ridiculous hearsay', and emphasised the depth of bipartisan respect for Mr Goss. He had 'very strong support from Republicans and Democrats, including Senator Bob Graham of Florida', said White House spokesman Trent Duffy.

Mr Graham is the former head of Senate intelligence.

Mr Goss appears in Farenheit 9/11, the most financially successful documentary in history, during a segment devoted to the USA Patriot Act, an anti-terrorism measure.

Moore told reporters that Mr Goss, who until Tuesday was chairman of the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, had granted an interview to two of his producers without first checking who they worked for.

'You'd think the person who was head of the intelligence committee would ask a few more questions,' Moore said.

Mr Goss is expected to appear at confirmation hearings before the Senate intelligence committee early next month.

Privately, some Democrats have said the nomination puts them in a difficult position.

The CIA has already gone two months without a replacement for Mr George Tenet as director. The Democrats said that if they opposed the Goss nomination, they would be cast as obstructionists delaying prosecution of the war on terror.

In 2002, the Democrats opposed a plan to eliminate some protection for Department of Homeland Security employees. The Republicans used that to portray some Democrats as weak on defence.

One was Senator Max Cleland of Georgia. Republicans ran a TV commercial showing Mr Cleland, Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein with a voice-over saying Mr Cleland had voted against the President's homeland security efforts 11 times.

Mr Cleland lost his seat. -- Reuters,New York Times

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.