Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

why freights?

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by drug, Sep 19, 2002.

1. drug

drug New Jack

hi to everyone. i'm new to this board and i'm not from the states as ya'll can see....i have a question for everyone.
    i've visited a lot of graff sites form the states and it turns out that more than 80% of the train pieces are done on freights.
    aren't they a bit unsuitable for painting? i mean, all the doors and locks and stairs and bars and shit........a nice smooth commuter is way better! and more people see it because it actually stops in the train stations...

i painted a couple of freights when i was younger but got sick of them almost immediately, it really annoys me having to paint these ugly cars painted in ugly rusty colors and, mostly, all full of bumps.

so i was just asking myself why people love freights in the us....i don't think it's because they're safer to paint (because of cops or other hazards), seen the stories some people have written on this board.
    it's obviously not because of the surface, which mostly sucks.
    so is it because commuters get buffed and freights don't? or is it considered more cool or something?

peace to everyone.

2. Are2

Are2 Guest

i bumped up a discussion on this topic....

i'll add that i paint freights way more often (than commuters) because they don't get buffed like commuter trains, which rarely run painted...

and it only takes a brief period of painting before the ridges, rust and doors become second nature..i don't mind goin right over the bars
    after all, its spray paint, and very easy to use for this purpose..

i like to do throwups on the doors actually...
    and sometimes a rusted out metal background looks pretty fuckin cool behind a piece...some of the rusted cars are the best ones for me..

... there are also plenty of freight cars with smooth unridged panels...as well as holy rollers, which have holes, but no ridges..

aaaaaaaaaah freights...
    caught rolling, sitting in the middle of nowhere, or next to a highway..paintable in groups or solo..available during a wide variety of times and infrequently buffed..

3. siloette

siloette Member

^ I think that about sums it up..Plus the feeling of a cold car on a cool night..and the sound of gravel under your feet as you carefully approach the line.haha..The feeling of rust flakes flying on your face...wonderful..

roach approach!;)

4. Wilt

Wilt Guest

not to mention not every place here has "commuter trains" ....i find it odd that 2 females replied to this first...wanna make out?:crazy:

5. AR-15

AR-15 New Jack

1. freights travel all over united states, and canada and mexico

2.not all freights have locks and doors and bars and if thats gonna stop you from painting, your a pussy with no can control

3. they dont get buffed
    so that means when your dead your stuff is still gonna be running

4.when freights are rolling at a R.R crossing people in there cars have no choice but to look at the freights

about those euro trains i think there cool and shit and i give you guys props for hitting those but dont they get buffed like the next day?
    even if it does run for a day or 2 and people see it in the station only those few people on that day will see it.
    unless your painting for flick purposes thats a waste of paint if you ask me,

but thats my opinion , do your thing and ill do mine

6. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

drug
    where are you at in italy?
    drop me an email we should talk heroin183@hotmail.com im in italy as well. you can probably guess the location.

commuters here are great.

7. krowteN

krowteN Guest

all at once children:
    "dead horse"

8. TrustEvil

TrustEvil Guest

Are2 got it right.

9. VAITOMANOCU

VAITOMANOCU Member

damn silloette got me feeling all nostalgic

;)

10. drug

drug New Jack

well i suppose you guys have a totally different poetic in doing trains am i right? you did kinda strike me......reading what you wrote it all seems more fascinating than i thought. and i don't want you to think i'm dissin, i'm just exploring other mentalities about graff and that's always a positive thing.
    but.....
    1 ok they travel but so do commuters
    2 my can control is fine, thanks, but i find it really annoying when you can see the piece properly only from the front and with bars and all you can't really paint so smoothly as on a nice, clean, perfectly flat white train.
    3 yeah i hate it that they get buffed after a few days/weeks but that's how it goes. to have your name up you have to strike a lot of metal: only then people will see your stuff.
    4 i don't know about yards in the us, but if you ask me here freight yards are really too smooth.....i mean if you wanna paint freights there's no thrill, no challenge.....it's like painting a legal wall in most places. plus maybe you have no light and there's also a chance that you find mobbers or shit in the yard.
    i mean i think there's no taste in painting a train-even wildstyle-and taking like an hour or more to do it. THAT means you're a pussy with no can control, i think-no?

there are some decent freight cars here in italy, the long smooth ones, but few people paint 'em because of there reasons mostly. plus, i dunno, commuters here are so damn beautiful and perfect for graff! they seem to say "paint me". perfect surface, perfect height, perfect colors. what more can i say......it's a different way of conceiving the whole train affair but it's cool to see what other people have to say bout it.
    good freighting everyone

heroin you from naples by any chance?

11. cheesecurd

cheesecurd Guest

freight trains are sexy

1. I've never been to italy but do the fr8's stick to italy's borders? Do the commuters? I would think that if you did a fr8 you'd have a much better chance if it going to southeast asia than a commuter.

2. I like the delayed payoff of a ridged car as it rolls by. you can see this splotch of color down the line and you get geeked and your camera cocked and it's just more fun when it finally all comes together. but then again I'm easily amused.

3. think, if over the years, you did 400 burners on italian fr8 cars. your guy did 500 burners on commuters, and now you have 400 maybe 385 peices running, and your boy has 1 he did this week. Who wins? I suppose its argumentitive. I guarantee that any kid who moves there or comes up after your boy falls off ain't gonna know he even existed. you on the otherhand obviously put in work.

4. fr8 painting is less stressful. I totally agree. Some people have to deal with probably as much shit as you do though, there's thousands of different yards all with their own level of security. I get a thrill when I'm on vacation with my parents 300 miles away from home and I see something I did and can't tell them. Or when you actually get chased out by yard workers, or when a skunk creeps up on you, or a bum that lives right next to your chillest layup comes at you with a machete for blowing up his spot, or your so drunk you consider taking a nap on the tracks infront of your peice-- not thrilling really but it's a beautiful thing that it's possible.

"i mean i think there's no taste in painting a train-even wildstyle-and taking like an hour or more to do it. THAT means you're a pussy with no can control, i think-no?"

I ain't mad at cha but you've just called every wall writer WORSE than a pussy with no can control.., and all the while you bitch about all the bumps and ridges.

on second thought, go fuck a salami.

12. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

na im not from naples, im a couple hours north in roma. where ar eyou at? i know what you are trying to say. the layups where i do commuters is just perfect,perfect height, pefrect surface, just beautiful, and commuters here run for quite some time it seems, well maybe more on the maroon cars, but even the teal fs trains run for quite sometime. unless you do a euro star like my drunken friends... and frieght yards here you have to watch for albanians too, i hate running into them in yards. acually there were some sleeping in the commuters we did last time. haha.
    hot me off with an email.

13. se_FOUR

se_FOUR Senior Member

Differnt mentality, whether your in Rome or Naples shit runs , in the States nothing runs so theres the alternative which is freights..In London no tubes hardly ever run, it`s clean , but we stiill do tubes cos it`s a subway and you got a flick, and plus you sometimes get them to run cos they have to run em to the buffer..peace..

14. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

It's been said before, but I'll say it again myself: It's not just the fact that freights run in the US, it's also the distance and places they can potentially go. A freight I could've painted in Los Angeles a year ago could be in New York now, Toronto a week later...Mexico City in a year...and then maybe even back to my own city again. You never know. North America is a huge continent, and my trains here have gone to some places I'm sure I'll never get to go. That's pretty cool if you ask me.

15. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

drug, move to the midwest or southern us and tell me how often you see commuters rolling around...the united states is a big place, people are more likely to see your freights, rather than passenger/commuter trains...